inspiring

if books were comestibles
this would be at least
a 15 course feast

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 20th, 2009, 4:06 pm #2872

i love Gogol's prose and agree and heartily with Troutbum and Marcel
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 20th, 2009, 11:37 pm #2873

looking at the Mary Carruthers, and it's full of good things
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

cwec03
Literary lunatic
cwec03
Literary lunatic

October 21st, 2009, 1:15 pm #2874

Another Russian to keep you up at night: Bulgakov.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 21st, 2009, 5:44 pm #2875

Another attempt at Diarmaid MacCulloch's "Reformation" and likely Weymouth Sands, although the Mary Carruthers and much else looks tempting and then i was thinking as i w ent back through threads, how much i want to read "A Suitable Boy" and "JR"

Troutbum
Literary lunatic
Troutbum
Literary lunatic

October 21st, 2009, 6:03 pm #2876

cwec03 wrote:Another Russian to keep you up at night: Bulgakov.
Read and loved M & M in 20th century Russian lit class moooooons ago.

Bulgavov of course.. and the other Russian B's.. Babel, Bunin...short fiction GODS.

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

October 22nd, 2009, 3:14 am #2877

the bluest eye by toni morrison
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

Mir
Literary lunatic
Mir
Literary lunatic

October 22nd, 2009, 3:28 am #2878

Canox wrote: Russian is the most vivid and lively tongue I know.
mmm, then i don't know what word to use to describe it.

i can't remember the name or author of the study i read on it, otherwise i'd scrounge it up, but i believe the basis of it was something along the lines of flow. some languages are very fluid, others aren't. german, russian, english, etc. fell into the end of the spectrum that had the least flow, which i think is all i'm getting at with russian. hence the dryness.
i'm not talking dry as in "can't use a ton of adjectives to describe things" or "can't put a ton of emphasis and passion into it", but that the language itself literally doesn't roll off the tongue terribly well. it's clunky; the sounds jibe with one another. i expect to be disagreed with, but i'm going to stand by what i say. maybe russian doesn't translate well, because it's just not a terribly pretty language to begin with.

sure, they have colloquials and idioms, but it's - unless we delude ourselves - rare to hear anyone say they think it sounds beautiful when spoken.

god knows, people, i like arthur c. clarke. i don't tend to care much that my reading be packed cover-to-cover with mind-blowing prose.

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

October 24th, 2009, 12:47 pm #2879

Herta Meuller (The Appointment on hold
now reading
H.D.'s Helen in Egypt

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 24th, 2009, 6:10 pm #2880

Weymouth Sands, as ever he ough to scare the bejesus out of me because there are so many points of recognition, but he never does. All i ever want to do when i read him iswrite, recommence with the same landscape

And i kept thinking of Powell and Pressburger, Powys and Powell and Pressburger, there is the same losing yourself,