Deleted User
Deleted User

October 14th, 2012, 10:21 pm #4012

Oh, Michael Vick.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 14th, 2012, 10:27 pm #4013

nnyhav wrote:good on ya, Jake!
and {{{{biskit}}}} surprised that you're still bothered by that blather Marcel linked (anything comparing MBAing and workshopping highly positively should be taken deeply negatively)
anyways self-assessment's a tricksy thang, cf http://w11.zetaboards.com/thefictionalw ... ic/785906/
but I don't think validation's the point, I mean fine if it comes, but there's that "first responsibility is to the text" thang ...
{{{{{{{{{Dave}}}}}}}} i'm not in the least bothered, sweetheart, stuff like that amuses and bores me in equal measure. I was on the receiving end of attention re my creavity and etc when i was young, i didn't want it then and certainly not now :)
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

byrd
Forum junkie
byrd
Forum junkie

October 15th, 2012, 10:23 am #4014

Suz, i'm sure you meant your response (post 4011 in this thread) to be in reply to Jake's post 4009, but it sounds very sinister coming after post 4010...

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 15th, 2012, 10:30 am #4015

Little Nemo in Googleland, nice... :)

John Gargo
Forum junkie
John Gargo
Forum junkie

October 15th, 2012, 11:22 am #4016

Thomas Hounds wrote:To shift subjects, apparently the neo-nazi Golden Dawn party in Greece is again ascendent. Most disturbing was a Guardian article from a few days ago, coming a few weeks after reports that police in Athens were redirecting criminal complains to be handled by the Golden Party. came this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oc ... ure-police about anti-fascist protestors being beaten and tortured by police officers during an extended incarceration.
Very scary stuff indeed, and quite distressing to see this happen to one's country from abroad (was born in Greece,left when I was two years old - almost all of my extended family lives there). What struck me was the blatant appropriation of the "Greek Key" in a way that echoes the swastika, and yet Golden Dawn politicians can outright deny that any such association was intended...

byrd
Forum junkie
byrd
Forum junkie

October 15th, 2012, 11:32 am #4017

John Gargo wrote:was born in Greece when I was two years old
that is quite a talent!

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 15th, 2012, 11:40 am #4018

John Gargo wrote:
Thomas Hounds wrote:To shift subjects, apparently the neo-nazi Golden Dawn party in Greece is again ascendent. Most disturbing was a Guardian article from a few days ago, coming a few weeks after reports that police in Athens were redirecting criminal complains to be handled by the Golden Party. came this article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oc ... ure-police about anti-fascist protestors being beaten and tortured by police officers during an extended incarceration.
Very scary stuff indeed, and quite distressing to see this happen to one's country from abroad (was born in Greece when I was two years old and almost all of my extended family lives there). What struck me was the blatant appropriation of the "Greek Key" in a way that echoes the swastika, and yet Golden Dawn politicians can outright deny that any such association was intended...

And one should realize this: they are in the Greek parliament, you have to think about that, 18 of 300 seats. And if I remember correctly during the time of the elections, polls among people younger than 40 or something indicated they were the second most popular party. It is really frightening, as if nothing had happened in history...

John Gargo
Forum junkie
John Gargo
Forum junkie

October 15th, 2012, 11:47 am #4019

byrd9999 wrote:
John Gargo wrote:was born in Greece when I was two years old
that is quite a talent!
Haha, I love typos. :laugh:

John Gargo
Forum junkie
John Gargo
Forum junkie

October 15th, 2012, 11:58 am #4020

BirneHelene wrote:
John Gargo wrote:
Very scary stuff indeed, and quite distressing to see this happen to one's country from abroad (was born in Greece when I was two years old and almost all of my extended family lives there). What struck me was the blatant appropriation of the "Greek Key" in a way that echoes the swastika, and yet Golden Dawn politicians can outright deny that any such association was intended...

And one should realize this: they are in the Greek parliament, you have to think about that, 18 of 300 seats. And if I remember correctly during the time of the elections, polls among people younger than 40 or something indicated they were the second most popular party. It is really frightening, as if nothing had happened in history...
What fascinates (and frightens) me about this whole thing is this sense of cultural amnesia, or a kind of resentment that younger generations have for what they see as the adopted the sins of their (grand)fathers. This reminds me of a very ironic and sad story. Last year I sat down with my parents to watch television... they have a satellite service that offers them two channels of Greek programming. One of the shows happened to be an expose on a growing neo-Nazi movement in modern day Germany. It's interesting that a sizeable portion of the generation growing up after WWII was very left wing... children were rebelling not only against their parents but against those who many saw as complicent for the crimes of the nation during the war (I recall seeing this view expressed during a documentary on Krautrock, the countercultural music that emerged in West Berlin in the late 60s and early 70s). But now the children of this second generation are "removed" (physically and emotionally) from all of that discord and so they've come to resent this association with what happened in WWII.

With the younger Greeks you have a similar sitatuion... they are now a generation removed from those who had to live until the repressive military goverment (mid 70s) and I feel they have no idea what they're doing by supporting "Golden Dawn." It was just so ironic that last year the Greeks were reporting on the German neo-nazi groups and now you've got this situation blowing up in their own country... 18 seats in Parliament is 18 seats too many! :confused: