frunk
Forum junkie
frunk
Forum junkie

July 7th, 2011, 7:36 pm #51

has anyone mentioned harlan ellison? forgive me - might have been mentioned.

lots of stuff that's not expressly science fiction, but all of it that i've read has been pretty cool.

how about james tiptree, jr.?

Jayaprakash
Forum junkie
Jayaprakash
Forum junkie

July 8th, 2011, 12:58 am #52

James Tiptree, Jr. was great. I've read a volume of her short stories and have a novel lying around somewhere.

SF writers are often a menace when they attempt humour (Isaac Asimov I'm looking at you), but a few use it well. I think there's an inherent kinship between SF's 'sense of wonder' and the sense of incongruousness that humour evokes. RA Lafferty wrote some of the most weird and hilarious SF short stories ever. Robert Sheckley wrote some pretty mind-bending and frequently funny SF.

Did I mention Cordwainer Smith? If so, once again.

'This cannot be written, but it is this that I will write.'

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 8th, 2011, 8:25 am #53

Jayaprakash wrote: Isaac Asimov I'm looking at you
Ugh. You are not wrong. I'm also still kind of on the fence about Kraken. Though that's not Sf by any stretch of the imagination, I guess.

frunk
Forum junkie
frunk
Forum junkie

July 8th, 2011, 4:46 pm #54

need to check out cordwainer smith, definitely!

so...the final space shuttle launch today. kind of sad, man. i suppose this translates into authors like arthur c. clarke seeming more and more irrelevant to the general population, huh?

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

July 9th, 2011, 12:00 am #55

Yeah, I'm sad about the space shuttle, too. NASA needs to get some other manned spaceflight program happening. It's about hopes and dreams as much as anything else.

And another endorsement for James Tiptree Jr. Brilliant stories.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 9th, 2011, 12:03 am #56

frunk wrote: i suppose this translates into authors like arthur c. clarke seeming more and more irrelevant to the general population, huh?
interesting point. not sure yr right though-

frunk
Forum junkie
frunk
Forum junkie

July 9th, 2011, 2:46 am #57

Canox wrote:not sure yr right though-
is that so?

Jayaprakash
Forum junkie
Jayaprakash
Forum junkie

July 9th, 2011, 3:23 pm #58

I think SF that involves space travel and exploration is still pretty popular with the genre audience. I can never quite figure out what the general population thinks SF is.
'This cannot be written, but it is this that I will write.'

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 10th, 2011, 1:44 am #59

frunk wrote:
Canox wrote:not sure yr right though-
is that so?
it is.

frunk
Forum junkie
frunk
Forum junkie

July 10th, 2011, 6:04 am #60

i dunno, i'm getting tired of boring pedantry lately, so i may be a bit snippy. sorry about that.

listen, i already feel like sci-fi takes an undue amount of shit since the authors rarely attain the sort of accepted literary prestige that is so prized among elitists. it gets a little predictable to keep hearing the same names recycled over and over. it's a shame, too, because there's some really fine stuff there that just isn't of the pedigree that some folks require, and i certainly believe the final launch of the space shuttle isn't doing the science fiction community any favors, since i think it just falls in line with a widespread lack of interest in science, at least here in the states.

and that's about all i've got to say about that.

ordered some cordwainer smith after reading "alpha ralpha boulevard" online today. got his collected short stories and "norstrilia." his universe seems fucking amazing. also ordered some more tiptree that we didn't already have, as well as "dangerous visions," which i've been meaning to get a copy of for awhile. it features a pkd story, so those readers out there that won't touch sci-fi unless it's been published by the library of america should be fine. yes, i'm being a smartass.