Forum junkie

September 15th, 2012, 4:06 am #11

1% 2% 3% on Many Subtle Channels

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

December 12th, 2012, 11:42 pm #12

Scott Esposito has a (co-authored) book coming out in Jan on Oulipo; has his short say over to
http://www.themillions.com/2012/12/a-ye ... ading.html

mandm
Forum junkie
mandm
Forum junkie

December 13th, 2012, 8:13 pm #13

Yum.

Thanks for all this stuff, nnyhav.

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

December 13th, 2012, 10:35 pm #14

Yeah, thanks...that Many Subtle Channels has been on but is now moved to the top of my amazon wish list (then I am reminded for better or worse) and have some Matthews and Queaneu coming per the Dalkey Archives sale...and Roubaud...now you tell me!
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

December 15th, 2012, 3:50 pm #15

Many Subtle Channels wasn't quite the book I'd been led to expect, but none the worse and in some ways better for it. More on the human side of it than the mechanical, putting a face on the group and moreso its members; it may be taken as a textual version of the backdrop to the monthly jeudis (Thursdays) de l'Oulipo:
wrote:Normally during jeudis the group reads in front of a projection of what is called the galaxie oulipienne, an astral map of the members' faces spiraling out from the center in rough chronological order of their recruitment. Viewed from afar, the image suggests that the readers on stage are being benevolently dwarfed by their predessecors, by the accumulated gravitas of the group's history. It also makes it easier to envision the workshop as both a collective pursuit and a constellation of disparate points and ideas and texts, between which a stunning number of lines are potentially traceable.
And there's something of a fan's notes about it ...

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

July 7th, 2013, 5:11 pm #16

the co-author of The End of Oulipo? mentioned above:
http://hairydogreview.com/an-interview- ... ren-elkin/
via zungu

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

December 1st, 2013, 4:17 pm #17

http://wordswithoutborders.org/issue/december-2013
wrote:This month we're showcasing the sparkling innovations in form and literature produced by the members of the Oulipo. The Paris-based literary collective explores how literature might arise from structures, rules, and constraints, working within restrictions—alphabetical, narrative, rhythmic, metric—to set genres and language loose. Ian Monk's tour of an apartment building maintains a strict numeric unity in lines and syllables. Olivier Salon travels through a gradually dwindling alphabet. Michèle Métail claims a chain of possessives, and Anne F. Garréta offers a rogue reading of Proust. In playing with poetic forms, Jacques Bens finds sonnets easy as pi; Jacques Jouet extends the sestina; and Michelle Grangaud records everyday events in a new take on the tercet. And François Caradec's aphorisms offer less than meets the eye. Guest editor and translator Daniel Levin Becker provides a useful key to the considerations at play in both French and English versions. Join us in marveling at the verbal gymnastics of the writers, and at the dazzling ingenuity of the translators.

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

December 24th, 2013, 1:57 am #18

So, Winter Journeys is itself an Oulipian microcosm sparked by a short story Perec penned for a publisher's catalogue, then underwent a delayed rapid expansion, first by Roubaud, and continuing to this day ... Queneau's characterization of Oulipo as "rats who construct the labyrinth from which they plan to escape" (tho I'd prefer 'contrive') nowhere rings truer. The first half, culminating with Mathews' contribution, is best, afterwards falling off but not without its moments. But it isn't completist stuff, even with some of the inside games, as what's on the outside still sparkles.

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

April 26th, 2014, 1:28 pm #19

Myrddin
Literary lunatic
Myrddin
Literary lunatic

September 25th, 2014, 2:51 am #20

Is anyone familiar with Ernest Vincent Wright's Gadsby? Published in 1939 it's a lipogram written without the letter "e", predating Perec's A Void by 30 years and serving as an inspiration for it. The book itself doesn't sound especially interesting but I'm surprised that Perec gets all the credit and Wright gets none, I've just stumbled on it by chance.