October 5th, 2017, 11:54 am #91

It's a shame they didn't give it to a "pure-SF" writer (god, I sound lame). But I have to remind myself that I've read what Danius' did he research on, which dead authors she admires, and it's not surprising she would be his partisan during the discussions.

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 11:59 am #92

I like Ishiguro as well, and I’ve read most of his books, but I’m also not excited by this choice. Was he even on the radar as a candidate? Just looked back at when the Ladbrokes odds were posted on this thread and he wasn’t on the list, or did I miss him? Maybe this will prompt me to read his latest one...
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

sub-pet
Forum junkie
sub-pet
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 12:16 pm #93

"has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world"

this just sounds like a comment on their failure to get Dylan to hang out with them last year
Light passion-bent past roadblocks it has itself devised: yes, in the fine void of our possible intelligence that announces owl-like one weighty day that we didn't know what light was but we'd been promised a power and thought it might be to find out that on good days we were light or got to be.

October 5th, 2017, 12:24 pm #94

sub-pet wrote:"has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world"

this just sounds like a comment on their failure to get Dylan to hang out with them last year
And the Nobel Prize for Literature 2018 goes to sub-pet, "who, with his fiery one-liners, made the Swedish Academy go to bed in tears."

roger
Forum junkie
roger
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 12:33 pm #95

I usually pooh-pooh awards but I was suprised and pleased. A writer who's fun to read winning (?) joining a list of the gloomiest of the gloomy. Ishiguro is gloomy too come to think of it but in a mysterious, exhilarating way. There's always a sense of wonder.

And I've read all his novels. I didn't care for his last, Buried Giant, but the others I've loved in varying degrees. If I were qualified, I would proclaim that The Unconsoled is a masterpiece, today is a day I feel empowered to do so.

Nothing conclusive has yet taken place in the world, the ultimate word of the world and about the world has not yet been spoken, the world is open and free, everything is still in the future and will always be in the future.

October 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm #96

While I have reservations with him as the winner, I do find it nice he's an author who everyone seems to have a different favorite book of.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 12:55 pm #97

it's a daft and unremarkable choice
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

Cleanthes
Forum junkie
Cleanthes
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 1:06 pm #98

Having not read The Unconsoled, there's still some hope, but it doesn't look good. I've read two of his books and they were golden mediocrities. Underwhelmed by the general pop-py direction the prize has taken as of lately.
Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent.
?\_(ツ)_/?

October 5th, 2017, 2:04 pm #99

oneofmurphysbiscuits wrote:it's a daft and unremarkable choice
I will say: your description of birthday foods was more enjoyable to read than listening to Danius proclaim Ishiguro's virtues in four languages!

Cleanthes, you might just love the book. That's what I'm saying about him being someone who everyone has a different favorite novel of (I can sense my English syntax failing me...).

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 2:10 pm #100

Danius’ own work as described looks to be ho hum,so perhaps not surprising that this is the best she aspires to for literature, but yes even so.
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded