Uemarasan
Literary lunatic
Uemarasan
Literary lunatic

September 28th, 2017, 1:18 am #81

redhead wrote:We'll find out in exactly a week if the literature prize will be announced the 5th during Nobel week or on the 12th. I'm thinking the 5th. Also, any prediction for the other nobels?
Physics:

Kip Thorne and Rainer Weiss for gravitational waves.
Sumio Iijima for carbon nanotubes.
Hideo Hosono for iron-based superconductors.
Stephen Harris and Lene Hau for slow light.

Chemistry:

John Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham, and Akira Yoshino for lithium batteries (the ones I want the most to win).
Emmanuelle Charpentier, Jennifer Doudna, and Feng Zhang for CRISPR (can be for medicine).
Franz-Ulrich Hartl and Arthur Horwich for chaperones.
Alec Jeffreys for DNA fingerprinting (can be for medicine).

Medicine:

Mary-Claire King and Michael Stratton for BRCA1 and BRCA2.
Kazutoshi Mori and Peter Walter for unfolded protein response.
Alexander Rudensky, Shimon Sakaguchi, and Ethan Shevach for regulatory T cells.
Akira Endo for statin drugs.

Peace (I don't really care about this award)
Vulgar Auteurist

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 28th, 2017, 2:27 am #82

It may be too early to discuss about another French winner (and there are many one can discuss) but I have been catching up on Francois Bon again, and I do think he will be a serious contender in years to come, with his themes, originality and web based (ideal ?) direction. Unfortunately no English translations as yet (the first is scheduled to be published in 2019). He is not (or very rarely) mentioned in this context, except he was (indirectly) with the sell-out/reprint of one of his previously published biographies in October last year.

The next French Nobel laureate I think will be, given the prevalence of her name over the past few years in Swedish circles, Marie Darrieussecq. An outstanding writer albeit limited reception in English. For English readers a few novels have been translated and her biography on Paula Modersohn-Becker has just been published in Australia.

Anyway probably last post pre-announcement (travels soon)
so Olga to win,
if not Can or Jamaica.

(MAO has posted some thoughts, interesting to see Mahmoud Dowlatabadi and Shahrnush Parsipur mentioned – although if they were to pick an Iranian they should have chosen Simin Daneshvar years back, but now too late).

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 28th, 2017, 10:47 pm #83

Didi wrote:Again I am hoping this year’s thread proves to be another successful one in terms of discovering some new authors/books.
Deemed success, have amassed quite a bit from this, some mentioned here some not: a large number of translated Asian poetry volumes, a few translated Arabic novels, a forgotten novel by a Caribbean legend, a greater appreciation (and obtaining all his works in Fr) of a Kurdish-Syrian writer….

And as a last post on this thread:

96 year old Nanos Valaoritis, the last direct living link to the founders of Surrealism
Publishing since just before ww2 (and still publishing in his 90s).

Here is the great man reading Homer in his own translation and the original Ancient Greek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7haO3a0Ig

No, he will not win the Nobel, and he cares not for such things, but if the unexpected arises, then I will think they are finally getting it.

Jacek
Forum junkie
Jacek
Forum junkie

September 29th, 2017, 1:15 pm #84

Safe travels, Didi!
Deep is the well of the past. Should we not call it bottomless?

redhead
Literary lunatic
redhead
Literary lunatic

October 2nd, 2017, 11:38 pm #85

So it's Thursday...

Very little odds movement this year. Ko Un I think just had a jump, though. He's old enough that I had written him off, but his work is great enough that I hope the academy hasn't written him off.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 10:56 am #86

My last-minute hat in the ring: Ngugi, Bouraoui or Hwang.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 11:14 am #87

Ishiguro. What an exciting, boundary-pushing choice.

So much for the theory that they gave it to Dylan to buy themselves the freedom to go however obscure they want.

redhead
Literary lunatic
redhead
Literary lunatic

October 5th, 2017, 11:22 am #88

Eh, I'm happy with the pick. Not my first choice, but I'm pleased

October 5th, 2017, 11:26 am #89

Heya, Bjorn. Great to see you posting again. I lol'd at your twitter picture of the bingo and the library kiosk.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 5th, 2017, 11:42 am #90

Hey, I like Ishiguro. He's a good writer. He's probably never written a bad novel. Everyone has seen a movie of his. He's... nice. I just think there could be a more exciting choice.

Also, that they chickened out and gave it to a Proper Writer who's written SF yet again. Though maybe that means he got the nod over Atwood and Murakami.

And thanks! I figured I had to get back at some point...