redhead
Literary lunatic
redhead
Literary lunatic

August 25th, 2017, 4:37 pm #11

They had a fun interview last year after Dylan won: https://newrepublic.com/article/137779/ ... nversation

And I'm also thinking this year the winner will be a noncontroversial perennial writer. If I had to guess, I'd say a European male like Claudio Magris, Antonio Lobo-Antunes or Javier Marias, though I could see Adunis or Ngugi also winning. I also have an odd feeling that a Korean writer could win. There's been a push to highlight South Korean writers internationally recently, and Le Clezio is probably nominating writers from there (perhaps Oe too, who admires Hwang Sok-yong). Bandi won't win, his identity still isn't 100% confirmed and he only has one book out traceable to him (probably has a bunch of propaganda works in North Korea). Perhaps an NK defector could win, but I don't know of any I'd consider up there with the South Korean giants.

But I'm usually completely wrong about this sort of thing, so who knows.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

August 25th, 2017, 5:15 pm #12

Lobo-Antunes. Yes.
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

August 26th, 2017, 6:37 am #13

Hey, Didi, nice to see you back posting. Thanks for kickstarting this year's conversation. A number of interesting mentions already, which is what I always love about this thread.

I would want to say that surely it would be a woman this year. And/or surely someone from outside Europe/North America.

If we look at the perennial names I would suggest Ngugi or Olga Tokarczuk, who have both already been mentioned. Or maybe it could be Gerald Murnane's year, given that his apparently final book is coming out this year?
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 27th, 2017, 12:23 am #14

Not sure why Einar Mar Gudmundsson is not mentioned in the context of Nobel speculation - he should be. He seems to have a large following outside Iceland in particular Denmark and China.

in terms of recent output, his last novel Hundadagar, is interesting enough (albeit mixed reviews) - would like this translated

it is a fantastical novel based on Jorgen Jorgensen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jørgen_Jørgensen

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 29th, 2017, 7:49 pm #15

Another author never mentioned in this context, Vietnamese Bao Ninh

planning to catch up on some of his shorts, I wonder what the status is of Steppes

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 29th, 2017, 7:56 pm #16

Brazilian Maria Valéria Rezende, a nun ( Order of Our Lady of Charity), life devoted to improving literacy and also produced works subject to critical acclaim and awards (Outros Cantos in particular)

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 1st, 2017, 4:01 am #17

The Nobel prize for Literature has never been awarded to an Asian woman (who comprise about 30% of the world’s population).

To add to previous years' picks - Kishwar Naheed, the Urdu poet from Pakistan.

Has been previously nominated for the Nobel Prize - the Peace prize.

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 3rd, 2017, 1:16 am #18

A couple of Palestinians that may be considered

Ghassan Zaqtan
Ibrahim Nasrallah

both considered an outside chance in past years but now their international reputation is more mature. I am thinking more likely Ghassan Zaqtan out of these two.

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 3rd, 2017, 1:45 am #19

A couple of Lebanese writers, the later probably too young (but has been quite prolific) and more likely a consideration in the future

Hoda Barakat
Rabee Jaber

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 3rd, 2017, 1:53 am #20

Not mentioned much in this context but possibly Egyptian Sonallah Ibrahim should be a consideration.