Cleanthes
Forum junkie
Cleanthes
Forum junkie

September 8th, 2016, 4:08 pm #31

A month left. Time for some racehorse betting. So here are my five picks:
Olga Tokarczuk, Louise Erdrich, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, Antonio Lobo Antunes, Hwang Sok-yong.
Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent.
?\_(ツ)_/?

FriendCatcher
Acolyte

September 8th, 2016, 5:59 pm #32

As to Magris, I did enjoy Danube and also Blindly. He definitely fits the old mold for a Nobel Prize winner: an older European man writing well about "serious things." So yes, if he won, I would not at all be disappointed.

But I would be really much more excited if the rumors about speculative fiction were true and any of the three mentioned won it (i.e., LeGuin, Gorodischer or Can Xue). I think that would signal the Nobel is taking its longstanding criticisms seriously, without awarding writers that aren't already worthy. It would signal a welcome shift in worldview, I think. It would also return the Prize to my attention -- which has been slipping for the past few years-- again

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 8th, 2016, 6:42 pm #33

me too, boredom with/at passes for the good stuff, never mind greatness in literary fiction is what led to my reading so much speculative etc etc.

It's too soon for Laszlo, Goytisolo i'd be very surprised, but happy, likewise Ashbery. But as a list it's looking more than a little shop worn if not downright impoverished and escalated(Oates again, fer crying out loud)
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

FriendCatcher
Acolyte

September 9th, 2016, 4:00 pm #34

oneofmurphysbiscuits wrote:me too, boredom with/at passes for the good stuff, never mind greatness in literary fiction is what led to my reading so much speculative etc etc.

It's too soon for Laszlo, Goytisolo i'd be very surprised, but happy, likewise Ashbery. But as a list it's looking more than a little shop worn if not downright impoverished and escalated(Oates again, fer crying out loud)
Yes to all of the above. I'm waiting for Krasznahorkai's prize, but I know it will be years yet. (And I've given up hope on Goytisolo winning it, although maybe I'm being pessimistic).

ETA: Of course I'd be so happy if Murnane won, but that will never happen. (And it's probably for the best for his reputation's long-term longevity when seen in light of White's post-Prize disgraceful fall into obscurity).

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 9th, 2016, 10:10 pm #35

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Krasznahorkai gets it pretty soon (though hopefully not this year, I'm hoping for a non-European for a change). Yes, he's still productive and still not exactly in his dotage, but they have given it to several sub-60 writers recently, and 62 is by no means too young to get it. Though hopefully he'll be writing for many years yet, obviously.

For those who think those things matter, they just announced the lineup of this year's Stockholm Literature Festival in October, and there are some Nobel discussees in the lineup: most notably Ngugi, DeLillo and Kincaid. DeLillo especially will probably get some buzz, what with his new book just out and all, but as much as I like him I find it hard to believe that they'd break the US's 23-year drought with him. He just seems too... safe.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 9th, 2016, 10:46 pm #36

A noted critic and speculator in the past has mentioned that Jamaica Kincaid is a consideration a couple of times.
The same critic has mentioned Sofi Oksanen, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Marie Darrieussecq, Marilynne Robinson in the same vein.

All women and three outside Europe. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is potentially too young. That leaves Marilynne and Jamaica as strong possibilities in my opinion.

I await Maria's thoughts this year. She was right again last year.

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

September 10th, 2016, 4:34 am #37

FriendCatcher wrote:ETA: Of course I'd be so happy if Murnane won, but that will never happen. (And it's probably for the best for his reputation's long-term longevity when seen in light of White's post-Prize disgraceful fall into obscurity).
I dunno if I'd say that it'll never happen for Murnane, given that he does have a reputation in Sweden. If it went Australian then it'd have to be him or Les Murray (with Carey and Malouf as more outside chances). As I've noted in previous years, if he were to win it the prize would be greeted by widespread bewilderment from the vast majority of Australians who have never heard of him.

I'm not sure about his worldwide reputation, but Patrick White is still well-known in Australia, if not widely read. It probably doesn't help that his novels are seen as too difficult (and too long) to appear on school curricula.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 10th, 2016, 6:54 am #38

you sum it up perfectly Funhouse

Les thinks Murnane is Australia's best chance (and his own time for consideration is long past), as he said a while back ‘He’s a really literary writer. There’s a degree of shonk about most of us, but not him.’’

from a few years back: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/boo ... 168ro.html

FriendCatcher
Acolyte

September 10th, 2016, 4:15 pm #39

True Funhouse: never say never. But I do think it is much more likely that Les Murray would win it.

As to Patrick White, he seems to always be on the verge of a comeback in the States, but it never seems to get off the ground. Of course it's a shame, but it also means that it's pretty easy to find cheap secondhand copies around (which makes things a little better for me!).

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm #40

yes again, Friend. For me, White was a genius,; I can't usefully explain what I mean by resorting to such an overused descriptor so I won't try, but if Toibin, Oates, Murakami and others are considered Nobel worthy then so is Kinsella

Reading up thread I note Banville, ffs what are people thinking
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded