September 4th, 2016, 6:44 pm #11

I'm really coming around to the idea of Murakami winning the prize, but I don't want to expound right now.

kline19
Forum junkie
kline19
Forum junkie

September 4th, 2016, 8:19 pm #12

Didi wrote:Indian women writers unfortunately get scant consideration here and as far as I am aware Kamala Surayya was the last to get serious consideration, just beaten at the post by Seifert.
Someone from the lesser known languages/regions for instance Padma Sachdev (Dogri) would be a pleasant surprise.

here is a list of some (poetry) greats, all except Nandini Sahu no longer eligible:

http://www.thebetterindia.com/55708/wom ... st-poetry/
Good article more so as it's written by a tenth grader. :eh:
The love hoarded all your life ... for the work, and his lips still moved silently over that last word - TR

redhead
Literary lunatic
redhead
Literary lunatic

September 4th, 2016, 9:49 pm #13

Bloß ein Língshān wrote:I'm really coming around to the idea of Murakami winning the prize, but I don't want to expound right now.
Him winning in general? Or do you think it's his year?

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

September 4th, 2016, 11:52 pm #14

sounds you may have heard similar whispers Bloss, except I do not think it is going in that specific direction.

redhead
Literary lunatic
redhead
Literary lunatic

September 5th, 2016, 1:55 am #15

Bjorn wrote:That's a pretty good article, thanks! To think that 50 years ago, American articles on the Nobel actually bothered finding out some basic facts about the prize and taking a look at the hows and whys and wheretos.
Yes, this. This bothers me so much nowadays. No, I don't care that Proust published a masterpiece, he did not deserve the Nobel by virtue of dying before the last volumes were published, and no, you're clickbait article, 10 Writers Famously Snubbed by the Nobel prize, is not real journalism.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2016, 8:08 am #16

I still carry some faint hope they'll give it to Ryu Murakami just to fuck with people.

No real buzz going on in Sweden yet that I can see. Everyone in the culture pages has been busy debating whether nazis are really that bad. Claudio Magris did a high-profile visit the other week, and with a new book and several new editions out in Swedish this autumn he might get a few mentions. Anyone who's read him and have an opininon on his worthiness?
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2016, 1:23 pm #17

I tried to find my posts about him, Bjorn, in vain. From memory, i liked him very much, but he gave me pause (the search function thing is driving me nuts; shall try Cleanthes' suggestion again) The stroke of his brush, sweep of his humanity is i think Eurocentric and culturally, politically conservative with a small c; these being the sensibilities etc et that fund and drive his internatiionalism onwards; he's erudite, passionate, but perhaps blinkered. I'm sorry to lack the nuance of my earlier posts about

As to Murakami, yes, i'm with Jake and Marcel on this one

I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2016, 1:59 pm #18

Thanks! Found the thread here:

http://w11.zetaboards.com/thefictionalw ... /785032/1/

Sounds like Danube would be the one to go with?
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

redhead
Literary lunatic
redhead
Literary lunatic

September 5th, 2016, 2:15 pm #19

I'd second Danube. It's dense but rewarding. I was a little less enamored with Microcosms, which seemed like more of the same. He's a great stylist. His scope of the world might prevent him from winning, but if he did, I would welcome it. As for the Eurocentric criticism, well, the academy is, too, and anyway Magris focuses mainly on the small, forgotten stories from areas around him, from people who don't really have a cultural identity or at least call that notion into question. He sounds right up their alley to me.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2016, 2:26 pm #20

yes Danube, Born (and as I said, my post above lacks nuance of earlier which I wasn't able to find, my own sensibilities being avowedly modernist and European)

Prizes aren't for me, but i'do say he's good, but hardly warranting
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded