Nobel Prize 2015

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 6th, 2015, 10:42 pm #1

I thought to start this thread early (and maybe lure our resident Swede back here whose comments are absolutely essential)

My prediction is that Thomas Pynchon will win the Nobel Prize for 2015. My secondary prediction is that he will turn up and claim the prize.

Firstly I think he deserves it and secondly, I have seen in the past year or so a significant increase in using his works as a comparison (“Pynchon-like” et al) in assessing other great/good works.

I think it is also important to assess the Academy, the decision makers and in this regard there have been two main changes.

I previously made in Triv. Obs. thread : “With Englund stepping down in May as PS for Nobel P for L (as planned) it will be interesting to see what influence the new PS, Prof Sara Danius will have – a wild, early prediction given her background, her influences etc is that the award will be given to a US author of the likes of Pynchon. For instance, Frederic Jameson includes Pynchon on his shortlist of exemplary postmodernists.”

And it seems the newest member of the Academy, voting for the first time, Klas Östergren, may have been influenced by Pynchon (for instance his book Gentlemen has been compared to Pynchon’s works and the film based on that novel has a “Bleeding Edge” feel to it).

I may have to read Gentlemen out of interest to confirm the comparison.

See for example http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... iew-730814

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

August 6th, 2015, 11:19 pm #2

opening Ladbrokes odds (not unlike closing odds last year methinks):
5/1 Svetlana Aleksijevitj
6/1 Haruki Murakami
7/1 Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
8/1 Philip Roth
12/1 Joyce Carol Oates
16/1 Adunis , Ismail Kadare
20/1 Jon Fosse, Ko Un, Peter Handke
25/1 Amos Oz, Marilynne Robinson. Peter Nadas, Ursula Le Guin
33/1 David Malouf, John Banville, Lydia Davis, Milan Kundera, Nawal El Saadawi, Peter Carey, Thomas Pynchon
50/1 A B Yehoshua. A S Byatt, Adam Zagajewski, Antonio Lobo Antunes, Bei Dao, Bob Dylan, Cees Nooteboom, Colm Toibin, Cormac McCarthy, Daniel Kahneman, Darcia Maraini, Don DeLillo, Don Paterson, E L Doctorow, Eduardo Mendoza Garriga, Eeva Kilpi, Enrique Vila-Matas, F Sioni Jose, Hilary Mantel, Ian McEwan, James Kelman, Javier Marias, Joan Didion, John Ashbery, Juan Goytisolo, Juan Marse, Karel Schoeman, Karl Ove Knausgard, Kjell Askildsen, Leonard Nolens, Les Murray, Margaret Atwood, Merethe Lindstrom, Mia Couto, Michel Tournier, Mircea Cartarescu, Neil Gaiman, Nuruddin Farah, Paul Muldoon, Richard Ford, Rohinton Mistry, Salman Rushdie, Tom Stoppard, Umberto Eco, William Trevor, Yan Lianke, Yevgeniy Yevtushenko, Yves Bonnefoy
200/1 E L James
can't take it seriously much, but moves in coming weeks will bear attention

my carryovers from prior predictions include Ngugi Wa Thiong'o; Ismail Kadare; Adonis, Ko Un, or Bei Dao ... and that it won't go to anyone writing in English

Cleanthes
Forum junkie
Cleanthes
Forum junkie

August 6th, 2015, 11:58 pm #3

What, is it Nobel time already? Maaan, I need to head over to my other job at the WWLF...
Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent.
?\_(ツ)_/?

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 7th, 2015, 12:01 am #4

Cleanthes wrote:What, is it Nobel time already? Maaan, I need to head over to my other job at the WWLF...
yeh they prompted me to start (ed: 43 posts and counting over there)

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

August 7th, 2015, 3:36 am #5

Well, I'm going to throw in Gerald Murnane again. After appearing quite high in the odds a few years back he's dropped off the Ladbrokes list the last couple of years. He's got another new book out this year, he's more prolific than he's ever been, he's on the cover of the latest ABR, he's been fairly well translated into Swedish, and he's innovative. What's not to like?

But I'd be more than happy with Pynchon as well...

?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 7th, 2015, 3:49 am #6

yes he's our local favourite no doubt

the article in the ABR mentions that an edition of the prestigious journal, ARTES, published by the Swedish Academy, was devoted to Murnane, an old one dating back to 2002, but interested to see what they wrote about him then.

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 11th, 2015, 2:21 am #7

snapshot eg. 12% women; 4% non-fiction (hist/phil)

http://topaussiewriters.com/wp-content/ ... rature.jpg

edit - not done the math, but odds listing appears not too far off historical stats.

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

August 11th, 2015, 3:09 am #8

besides (and even before) Murnane, the most notable omission on Ladbrokes list is Kraznahorkai
(Khoury's one that didn't get carried over, dunno why ...)
any other plausible off-listers that I'm overlooking too?

(oh and of course Doctorow's no longer ... eligible)

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

August 11th, 2015, 3:21 am #9

Maybe a sure thing with K – but really a major omission there
seems to be some changes over time when previous years are looked at but no one major at first glance

edit: still thinking US winner, maybe Vollman should be on the betting list, haven't read his last so cannot ascertain if this pushes him a little further up the chain.

August 11th, 2015, 6:28 pm #10

Here's Englund's (very long since updated) LibraryThing. A cursory glance yields some names (not listing Scandinavian authors, as Tranströmer most likely precludes them):

Tournier (though Modiano...)
Murakami
Kundera
Marías
Eco
Handke
Roth
Wolfe
Pynchon
Amis
Ellroy

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Poltava