byrd
Forum junkie
byrd
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 10:15 am #201

Didi wrote:Predicting the other Nobels (not Lit or Peace), high success rate:

http://thomsonreuters.com/en/articles/2 ... nners.html

Explains why Ladbrokes gave up on the Sciences a few years ago.

Citation referencing statistics, objective but unworkable/non-reflective for Lit and Peace.

I'll say that in which ever category the CRISPR/cas9 prize is awarded (chemistry or physiology), it is genius.

Thomas Hounds
Forum junkie
Thomas Hounds
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 10:33 am #202

As an American, I can tell you I've never met anyone who has read Pearl Buck. I've never another person who has even heard of Pearl Buck. Hell, I only know Pearl Buck because of Quiz Bowl. Now Lessing, I feel, is a very important writer. Her forays into the absolute stupidest most tripe-filled cliched 1970s feminist sci-fi work imaginable (go fucking read The Marriage Between Zones 3, 4 and 5, just go read it), really destroyed her standing in the literary community for quite some time, but by 2007, with a critically praised autobiography and some new writings out and re-releases, Lessing came back into the Academy's attention. Her profile as one of Britain's most prominent female writers of the last half century, if not the most prominent, and a long list of strong works are likely what gave her a profile above other options that year. Her short stories are quite good, as is The Grass is Singing (I've not read the Golden Notebook).

Also, I love The Wondrous Adventures of Nils. And quite randomly, it features prominently in Kenzaburo Oe's acceptance speech and Oe was also obsessed with the work as both a child and an adult.
"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 1:09 pm #203

Thomas Hounds wrote:As an American, I can tell you I've never met anyone who has read Pearl Buck. I've never another person who has even heard of Pearl Buck. Hell, I only know Pearl Buck because of Quiz Bowl. Now Lessing, I feel, is a very important writer. Her forays into the absolute stupidest most tripe-filled cliched 1970s feminist sci-fi work imaginable (go fucking read The Marriage Between Zones 3, 4 and 5, just go read it), really destroyed her standing in the literary community for quite some time, but by 2007, with a critically praised autobiography and some new writings out and re-releases, Lessing came back into the Academy's attention. Her profile as one of Britain's most prominent female writers of the last half century, if not the most prominent, and a long list of strong works are likely what gave her a profile above other options that year. Her short stories are quite good, as is The Grass is Singing (I've not read the Golden Notebook).

Also, I love The Wondrous Adventures of Nils. And quite randomly, it features prominently in Kenzaburo Oe's acceptance speech and Oe was also obsessed with the work as both a child and an adult.
yes you have, jake . . .

I've read Pearl Buck books

part of youthful at-home reading
as her books were book-of-the-month club offerings

Cleanthes
Forum junkie
Cleanthes
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 1:27 pm #204

I've only read The Good Earth: it was no big shakes. Buck's depiction of her characters' inner lives was kinda disappointing; things like the male protagonist thinking: so what if my wife's face is ugly, her body is great and nobody knows it but me!
Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent.
?\_(ツ)_/?

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 1:38 pm #205

Pearl Buck sounds like a brand of denture fixative
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

redhead
Literary lunatic
redhead
Literary lunatic

September 25th, 2015, 2:24 pm #206

Pearl Buck isn't so bad... Well alright she's not exactly Nobel quality she is much much better than another American winner from the same time, Sinclair Lewis. While if I talked to someone in my generation about Buck I'd get stares, older people know her name, have read her books, unlike Lewis... And she played a big role in demystifying China for America at least, perhaps other countries. Not the best pick, but I don't think of her win as purely for literature, I think her subject matter helped her a lot.

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 2:35 pm #207

totally agree with you, red

September 25th, 2015, 6:28 pm #208

Yes, China was proud of Buck and considered her win a win for the country (she was Chinese, and her first works were written in Chinese) - until their closed policy and aversion to Westerns, when they renounced her. She certainly won, like redhead said, for introducing a culture to a large part of the world. That being the case, the article is still lazy and unfactual.

The Good Earth on Amazon:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #7,051 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#26 in Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
#332 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
#892 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical

Vs. Vargas Llosa's latest The Discreet Hero: A Novel:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #60,077 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#376 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Political
#1412 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Family Life
#5642 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary

To Rushdie's The Satanic Verses: A Novel:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #6,849 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#383 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary
#1082 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary

Simply untrue that she's not read.

byrd
Forum junkie
byrd
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 6:30 pm #209

oneofmurphysbiscuits wrote:Pearl Buck sounds like a brand of denture fixative
And Halldor Laxness sounds like it could cure bad breath and constipation :)

Cleanthes
Forum junkie
Cleanthes
Forum junkie

September 25th, 2015, 8:46 pm #210

And Yorgos Seferis like a brand of Greek yogurt.
Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent.
?\_(ツ)_/?