Heteronym
Forum junkie
Heteronym
Forum junkie

September 20th, 2014, 12:41 am #41

If it's a playwright, it must be Edward Albee!

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 2nd, 2014, 8:53 am #42

The Academy announced today that they will no longer let the general public attend the announcement in Stockholm due to "security concerns". Supposedly it's not because of any threat, but simply because the announcements (which only journalists bothered showing up for until a few years ago) have now gotten so crowded that they don't want to risk people fainting or getting trampled.

What it usually looks like

Incidentally, the Nobel foundation just put up an open question asking Who deserves a Nobel Prize? Some of the answers are good, others... demonstrate how the Internet gives everyone a voice.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

October 2nd, 2014, 3:47 pm #43

Thiong'o now the favorite at Ladbrokes at 4/1, and many new old names: Kadare 10/1, Handke 16/1, Zagajewski 20/1, Nooteboom 25/1 etc (don't think it means a thing, just getting more action)

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 4th, 2014, 12:03 pm #44

An increasing number of people over here are mentioning Nawal El Saadawi. Anyone familiar with her?

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 4th, 2014, 2:34 pm #45

AP about some speculations.

I very much doubt Oksanen and Adichie are in the running - they're both excellent writers, but neither of them is even 40 yet. But I haven't seen Dubravka Ugresic mentioned as a candidate before, any thoughts on that? I have a couple of her books waiting to be read, but never seem to get around to them.

Elie
Literary lunatic
Elie
Literary lunatic

October 4th, 2014, 4:57 pm #46

Bjorn wrote:An increasing number of people over here are mentioning Nawal El Saadawi. Anyone familiar with her?
Yes. Only read Woman At Point Zero, but it was very good and I'm keen to read more of hers.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 6th, 2014, 9:54 am #47

And it's official, we're go for Thursday.

Medicine prize went to a Norwegian married couple and an American for figuring out, as far as I can tell, how we know where we are.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 6th, 2014, 10:10 am #48

Actually somewhat balanced "Why won't they give it to an American" article suggests Sam Shepard and Scott Momaday. Never read anything by the latter, but at least Shepard has co-written a song with Bob Dylan. :P

Meanwhile, the Chinese are claiming to have already won all the prizes. I think.

byrd
Forum junkie
byrd
Forum junkie

October 6th, 2014, 12:04 pm #49

Bjorn wrote:And it's official, we're go for Thursday.

Medicine prize went to a Norwegian married couple and an American for figuring out, as far as I can tell, how we know where we are.
I went to a lecture a couple of years ago given by a researcher in the Mosers' lab at the Kavli Institute, and it was seriously impressive.

They understood the system of place cells in the brain so well that they could trigger signals in live mice (or rats, can't rmember which) to make them think there was a wall where there wasn't a wall. The mice were not visually impaired in any way, so they could not see any wall, but they acted as if there was a wall there.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

October 7th, 2014, 9:52 am #50

And the Physics prize to the guys who invented the LED lamp. Geeez, why don't they ever give it out for things that are of any practical use? :P