Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

12:02 PM - Sep 08, 2014 #31

Beats me, I've never heard that complaint before. Sure there's only been one Australian winner (White), but that or less is true for a lot of countries. Probably just Englund being sarcastic. He does that.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

12:41 AM - Sep 09, 2014 #32

The biggest bias with the Prize selection in my opinion is that towards fiction as against non-fiction. Would be great to see non-fiction get its fair share.

The last Nobel prize winner who was more renown for his non-fiction (in this case essays) was Jean-Paul Sartre. And that was exactly 50 years ago.

Hawking is low on the Physics long list – surprise us and give the Literature prize to Hawking or some other non-fiction writer.
Maybe have a fiction and non-fiction writer share the prize.

(Edit –I forgot that nnyhav already correctly raised the unlikely prospect within the context of Alexievich's nonfiction)

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

11:25 PM - Sep 09, 2014 #33

hey no worries (but funny that rumination on nonfiction should so closely follow one on objective indicators)

Ladbroker odds up, or should I say down: Ngugi wa Thiong'o to 6/1, and Jon Fosse at 12/1 ...

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

11:41 PM - Sep 09, 2014 #34

Re Fosse
Seems to be happening again – per last year (via wire):

“The strangest development, though, concerns a relative unknown who has surpassed well-heeled talent to shoot from 100/1 to 9/1 odds in a brief window of time. That would be Jon Fosse, a Norwegian author, poet, and playwright who has been steadily making a name for himself since the early 1980s…”

And for the same reasons.

(Edit: similarly for Ngugi wa Thiong'o)

Ah those puppet masters.

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

12:54 AM - Sep 10, 2014 #35

yes but ... Mo Yan an the early mover even from initial 12/1, as was le Clezio, and IIRC Transtromer (Munro started high on the list, 12/1)

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

5:50 AM - Sep 10, 2014 #36

Didi wrote:Re Fosse
Seems to be happening again – per last year (via wire):

“The strangest development, though, concerns a relative unknown who has surpassed well-heeled talent to shoot from 100/1 to 9/1 odds in a brief window of time. That would be Jon Fosse, a Norwegian author, poet, and playwright who has been steadily making a name for himself since the early 1980s…”

And for the same reasons.
Woah. Someone may have bet several pounds on Fosse, then. :P

I have trouble seeing it going to a Scandinavian again this soon, to be honest.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Didi
Forum junkie
Didi
Forum junkie

7:53 PM - Sep 16, 2014 #37

I understand that Jon Fosse is the most performed living playwright within Continental Europe less so outside of Europe and worthy of consideration. If playwrights are being considered then a few others come to mind as well most notably Tom Stoppard. Arcadia is a masterful play that does not need to be seen performed to be appreciated.

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

11:52 PM - Sep 16, 2014 #38

Didi wrote:I understand that Jon Fosse is the most performed living playwright within Continental Europe less so outside of Europe and worthy of consideration. If playwrights are being considered then a few others come to mind as well most notably Tom Stoppard. Arcadia is a masterful play that does not need to be seen performed to be appreciated.
Stoppard is usually fairly middling in the Ladbrokes odds, isn't he? I think he's written enough great works to be a serious contender. I agree that Arcadia might be his best. I taught it for the first time to students this year, and teaching a text is a great way to appreciate how good it really is. R&G Are Dead is also incredibly good.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

roger
Forum junkie
roger
Forum junkie

7:18 PM - Sep 17, 2014 #39

A theater company in Philadelphia is doing a mini-Stoppard festival next month with Arcadia as the centerpiece, and also rare performances of some of Stoppards' early short works which I hope to catch.

I've seen almost all of his major plays, the main exception being the massive three part The Coast of Utopia which received it's only American production at Lincoln Center a few years ago. I find Stoppard overall to be uneven. His cleverness and erudition sometimes overwhelm (and disguise) the meager scale of the drama. Still there are some genuine masterpieces (R&G, The Invention of Love, above all Arcadia) but also some clunkers (Rock n Roll, Jumpers, India Ink). I'm not in any way qualified to judge who should win the Nobel Prize, but his good plays seem good enough to me to merit serious consideration. And The Real Inspector Hound is one of the funniest plays I've ever seen (which counts for me but probably not for the Nobel judges).

Nothing conclusive has yet taken place in the world, the ultimate word of the world and about the world has not yet been spoken, the world is open and free, everything is still in the future and will always be in the future.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

4:24 PM - Sep 18, 2014 #40

Stoppard doesn't cut it, for me (I've posted about this over time, here, much reading of, thinking about and seeing) I think Arcadia is dreadful, but I love R and G,(Beckett!) Invention of Love, many of the early works most of all. And The Coast of Utopia, which nevertheless frustrated me for demonstrating of the thing that most frustrates me about Stoppard, and which I'm not going to write about at length in the Nobel thread
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded