Nobel Prize 2013

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 5:35 am #1

If Orthofer already started, why can't we?...

Early Nobel Odds

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 8:04 am #2

90 years in advance? That's a bit early, isn't it? :P

I'm going to throw an odd name out there: Svetlana Alexievich. With Gitta Sereny gone from my favourite "they have to give it to a non-fiction writer at some point" list, she's one of the remaining post-war journalists looking deeply at the nature of oppression and what it does to people in the long run. Plus, for those who think that matters, she's being hyped in Sweden right now with the release of her supposedly final book on the Soviet Union, Second Hand Time (which actually came out in Swedish before it was even available in Russian) as well as several re-releases.

And as long as we're talking about Europeans, what are the chances of Hilary Mantel showing up on any lists?

Vijaydan Detha and Eduardo Mendoza Garriga, huh? Anyone familiar with them? Hanan Al-Shaykh is a new name for me too, I think...
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

byrd
Forum junkie
byrd
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 8:11 am #3

I wanted Pynchon for 2012.

Ctrl+C Ctrl+V

:)

Myrddin
Literary lunatic
Myrddin
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 9:50 am #4

Is there a (rough) pattern to which territories get it? I.e.Europe one year, Asia another, Africa enother etc? Not necessarily in order. I was very surprised that Lessing got it so soon after Pinter.

Elie
Literary lunatic
Elie
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 10:01 am #5

Myrddin wrote:Is there a (rough) pattern to which territories get it? I.e.Europe one year, Asia another, Africa enother etc? Not necessarily in order. I was very surprised that Lessing got it so soon after Pinter.
Not that I've ever been able to fathom. I think we must be due an African writer soon, though.

param
Literary lunatic
param
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 10:16 am #6

Bjorn wrote:Vijaydan Detha and Eduardo Mendoza Garriga, huh? Anyone familiar with them? Hanan Al-Shaykh is a new name for me too, I think...
Vijaydan Detha ( 87yrs) is from India, prominent short story writer in Hindi and Rajasthani. I haven't read any of his books to comment, but he seems to be pretty well known in the Hindi Literature belt.

Apparently, his name was figuring in the 2011 contenders list ( I don't remember, but according to this press report) : http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/15965 ... -rajasthan

Here is one for your appetite : http://pratilipi.in/2010/07/the-crafty- ... dan-detha/

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 10:51 am #7

Myrddin wrote:Is there a (rough) pattern to which territories get it? I.e.Europe one year, Asia another, Africa enother etc? Not necessarily in order. I was very surprised that Lessing got it so soon after Pinter.
The Academy themselves claim that they don't focus on countries or continents, but on individual authorships. (Which historically tends to mean white male Europeans, though at least they've been increasingly aware of this in recent years...)

The last 10 years have gone Africa-Europe-Europe-Europe-Europe/Africa*-Europe/Africa-Europe**-South America-Europe-Asia.
* Lessing, born in Zimbabwe, but hardly an "African" writer
** Le Clézio, dual French/Mauritian citizenship

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 10:52 am #8

param wrote:
Bjorn wrote:Vijaydan Detha and Eduardo Mendoza Garriga, huh? Anyone familiar with them? Hanan Al-Shaykh is a new name for me too, I think...
Vijaydan Detha ( 87yrs) is from India, prominent short story writer in Hindi and Rajasthani. I haven't read any of his books to comment, but he seems to be pretty well known in the Hindi Literature belt.

Apparently, his name was figuring in the 2011 contenders list ( I don't remember, but according to this press report) : http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/15965 ... -rajasthan

Here is one for your appetite : http://pratilipi.in/2010/07/the-crafty- ... dan-detha/
Thanks! I'll check him out.

One Indian name that tends to pop up in Nobel discussions is Mahasweta Devi, what's her status in India? I've read a collection of short stories and thought she was really good, if a bit preachy at times.

Myrddin
Literary lunatic
Myrddin
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm #9

Bjorn wrote:
The Academy themselves claim that they don't focus on countries or continents, but on individual authorships. (Which historically tends to mean white male Europeans, though at least they've been increasingly aware of this in recent years...)

The last 10 years have gone Africa-Europe-Europe-Europe-Europe/Africa*-Europe/Africa-Europe**-South America-Europe-Asia.
* Lessing, born in Zimbabwe, but hardly an "African" writer
** Le Clézio, dual French/Mauritian citizenship
Do authors have to have been translated into English or another European language? I mean it must be very difficult to judge a book written in an Asian or African language?

param
Literary lunatic
param
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 12:40 pm #10

Bjorn wrote:One Indian name that tends to pop up in Nobel discussions is Mahasweta Devi, what's her status in India? I've read a collection of short stories and thought she was really good, if a bit preachy at times.
If there is one genuine contender from India, to me, it is Mahasweta Devi. Agree, she tends to be a bit preachy at times, as she is very active in social activities, typically supporting those 'under privileged' people.