Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2013, 9:01 am #51

byrd9999 wrote:
Bjorn wrote:Englund comments, Orthofer sums up
wrote:The Academy hasn't even reconvened after the summer holiday, and like most members I'm in the final stretch of my Nobel reading. So as of yet, none of woman born knows who will get that famous literature prize.
So... Julius Caesar knows...?
I'd check if Birnam Woods have come to the Academy, but that entire part of town is walled off by Obama's security people right now. Possibly in order to secure Roth's win.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2013, 2:13 pm #52

ngugi.jpg

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

September 5th, 2013, 8:41 pm #53

Bjorn wrote:And the madness begins

http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/a ... 9a.htm#it9
If two of the finalists are Oates and Thiong'o , I'm 100% with the African writer.

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2013, 9:02 pm #54

Funhouse wrote:Yeah, as mentioned earlier on the thread, Mistry has pretty strong credentials so it seems odd not to see him there. Munro probably does seem the strongest Canadian option, though.

One strange name to see on the list is Daniel Kahneman. Thinking Fast and Slow is a terrific book, and good to see non-fiction writers in the mix, but there's not much else is there? Has anyone ever won for Literature as well as in another category? (Although the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences is technically not a "Nobel Prize" it kind of is...)

Also Anna Funder in at 100/1? I quite liked her two books, but seriously?
I was just reading the Literary Saloon and saw a story on Daniel Kehlmann and it occurred to me that Daniel Kahneman is probably a mistake. Kehlmann is a more plausible writer to be appearing on the list than Kahneman...
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

September 5th, 2013, 11:23 pm #55

They should have meant Kelman, James...who really is one of the most brilliant writers currently living along with Antunes, Ashbery, Marias, Krasznahorkai, Pynchon, McCarthy. Murnane...I don't really care about this or really any awards except that it can introduce me to a writer so I would rather a nobody one...but I did think that Bleeding Edge coming out so close the awardsing was perhaps a publishing ploy to win a nobel or whatever....as to the above about people being too old, then don't give it to them they won't be able to enjoy the money any fucking way and it won't help (or hinder) their career; the nobel will merely-in those cases- grant them some fake immortality while still alive, if they are truly artists producing lasting work then the awarding of the prize doesn't matter, time will tell, 200 hundred years (if only...) will tell....I think it'd be a much more interesting award if it was giving in mid-late career and then we could see the effects becoming world-famous and having a million bucks had on your work...we'd have a clear demarcation before/ after...like Bellow...give it to fucking Kelman he made like 12,000 dollars last year off his goddamn books and although people pick out the superficiality of the scottish dialect...he's really following different threads of his own voice...in which one could discern Beckett, Selby, Kafka, Joyce, Donleavy, a bit of the beats, a madness, I tell ya
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 6th, 2013, 9:26 am #56

^^ Sounds like I should read Kelman. Is How Late It Was, How Late a good starting point?

In other news, betting service Unibet are offering 16 to 1 on... Achebe. Worth a wee flutter, perhaps.

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

September 11th, 2013, 7:25 pm #57

Javier Marías made a good jump from the 100/1 pile to a very decent 33/1 at the Ladbrokes list.

Another leak indicating he is at the short list?

- Joyce Carol Oates
- Ngugi Wa Thing'o
- Javier Marías?

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

September 11th, 2013, 7:30 pm #58

DDR wrote:Javier Marías made a good jump from the 100/1 pile to a very decent 33/1 at the Ladbrokes list.

Another leak indicating he is at the short list?

- Joyce Carol Oates
- Ngugi Wa Thing'o
- Javier Marías?
I'd be truly happy if Marias won it

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

September 30th, 2013, 12:20 am #59

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 30th, 2013, 12:37 pm #60

And more whining about Dylan.
wrote:In truth, the only other pop artist with work as timeless as Mr. Dylan’s is Chuck Berry
Is "In truth" the new "Everyone knows that..." or "It's common sense that..."?

On the plus side, the Gothenburg Book Fair seems to have raised Cartarescu's profile among Swedish readers, at least. Whether that increases his chances of winning...

Marlene van Niekerk has started popping up as a dark horse among amateur opinionists, any thoughts on her? And who would it piss off more - the people complaining about yet another white African winning, or the people complaining about her just getting it to even out the gender and sexuality gaps?