Elie
Literary lunatic
Elie
Literary lunatic

August 2nd, 2013, 7:34 pm #21

param wrote:
Bjorn wrote:One Indian name that tends to pop up in Nobel discussions is Mahasweta Devi, what's her status in India? I've read a collection of short stories and thought she was really good, if a bit preachy at times.
If there is one genuine contender from India, to me, it is Mahasweta Devi. Agree, she tends to be a bit preachy at times, as she is very active in social activities, typically supporting those 'under privileged' people.
Where would you recommend starting with her? I've never really heard of her but sounds interesting. Most of the stuff on Amazon is pretty expensive, though.

Thomas Hounds
Forum junkie
Thomas Hounds
Forum junkie

August 2nd, 2013, 8:36 pm #22

Can't believe it's already time to start speculating again. These prizes have started to come and go and come by so fast...it's getting unnerving how fast years are coming and going. Seems like just yesterday Mo Yan won it.

I'm pretty consistent in my belief that a less well-known American figure should win it, like Edward Albee or even god-forbid John Ashberry.
"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

August 13th, 2013, 11:18 am #23

The estimable M. Orthofer gave us another mention so we should keep this humming along.

I'd like to remind people of some of the Australian candidates, who tend to fly under the radar a bit, in the shadow of the Americans.

The ones who come up on the Ladbrokes list each year are Peter Carey, David Malouf, Les Murray and Gerald Murnane, and they probably are the ones I'd pick as the main candidates. Maybe you could throw Tim Winton in there, although I don't rate him as highly. That's all men, of course. Shirley Hazzard, perhaps? Although has she written enough?

From New Zealand you'd probably be looking at Witi Ihimaera and Patricia Grace. Choosing a Maori writer might appeal, but Ihimaera has probably ruled himself out following the plagiarism scandal of a few years ago, and I don't think Grace is in quite the same league as the Australians.

Sticking with Anglo-Commonwealth countries, I would be happy with either Alice Munro or Michael Ondaatje, who are both probably pretty strong contenders.

Who would I personally like out of those mentioned? Murnane.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

kline19
Forum junkie
kline19
Forum junkie

August 13th, 2013, 1:13 pm #24

Ondaatje's Nobel lecture would be something I'd like to read if he were to be given the Nobel...
The love hoarded all your life ... for the work, and his lips still moved silently over that last word - TR

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

August 13th, 2013, 11:11 pm #25

Funhouse wrote:Sticking with Anglo-Commonwealth countries, I would be happy with either Alice Munro or Michael Ondaatje, who are both probably pretty strong contenders.
What about Rohinton Mistry? Being Canadian/Indian the Academy would be killing two birds with one stone if he wins.

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

August 14th, 2013, 12:59 am #26

DDR wrote:
Funhouse wrote:Sticking with Anglo-Commonwealth countries, I would be happy with either Alice Munro or Michael Ondaatje, who are both probably pretty strong contenders.
What about Rohinton Mistry? Being Canadian/Indian the Academy would be killing two birds with one stone if he wins.
Same for Ondaatje with Canada/Sri Lanka, I suppose. Yes, Mistry would be good as well. I've really liked what I've read of his, and he does have form with his recent Neustadt win, that award having some correlation with Nobels.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

Cleanthes
Forum junkie
Cleanthes
Forum junkie

August 19th, 2013, 5:44 pm #27

Time to put my cards on the table. This is my 'damn right, they deserve to win' baker's dozen list of writers:

Poets: Philippe Jaccottet, Yves Bonnefoy, Adelia Prado, Ana Blandiana, Nicanor Parra, Les Murray.
Novelists: Paul Nizon, Cynthia Ozick, Robert Coover, Milan Kundera, Amin Maalouf, Pascal Quignard, Lobo Antunes.

I'm sad that I had to replace the great Slawomir Mrozek on my list.
Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent.
?\_(ツ)_/?

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

August 19th, 2013, 6:22 pm #28

Interesting list Cleanthes

Liked your selection so I will post my twelve favorites as well:

Poetry: José Emilio Pacheco, Juan Gelman, Nicanor Parra, Adonis.
Prose: Ismail Kadare, Haruki Murakami, Amin Maalouf, Juan Goytisolo, Amos Oz, Cormac McCarthy, Salman Rushdie, Ngugi wa Thiog'o

By the way, shouldn't take long for Ladbrokes to publish their list; last year it was out on August 23, so we might have it ready this week.

rouquette

August 28th, 2013, 9:38 pm #29

World Literature Today (http://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/why ... literature) and I both think Ismail Kadare should win. I have read twenty-one of his books and still have several more in my library to read. With Tranströmer two years ago, I am not sure that they will go for another poet.

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

August 28th, 2013, 11:25 pm #30

rouquette wrote:World Literature Today (http://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/why ... literature) and I both think Ismail Kadare should win. I have read twenty-one of his books and still have several more in my library to read. With Tranströmer two years ago, I am not sure that they will go for another poet.
Completely agree, one of my favorites as well