Bjorn wrote:90 years in advance? That's a bit early, isn't it? :P

I corrected the year
Thanks, Suz!

Elie
Literary lunatic
Elie
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 2:13 pm #13

Myrddin wrote:Do authors have to have been translated into English or another European language? I mean it must be very difficult to judge a book written in an Asian or African language?
I believe they commission translations where there aren't any existing.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 2:56 pm #14

Elie wrote:
Myrddin wrote:Do authors have to have been translated into English or another European language? I mean it must be very difficult to judge a book written in an Asian or African language?
That's what happened with Mo Yan, for instance, though several of his books were already available in Swedish. Plus the members of the Academy collectively speak more than a dozen languages, including Chinese. I think there was an intervew with Academy member Per Wästberg about this somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

I'm not sure how often that's been used, though; pretty much every winner of the last 20 years has been easily available in either Swedish, French, or English. Peter Englund comments here that "I wish more members of the Academy had time to translate candidates themselves. It gives you an unbeatable perspective on the author's style, and also a great platform to judge translations into other languages."

So basically, there's no rule that says they have to have been translated into another language. In practice, though, they usually already are.

And thanks, Suz!

EDIT: Here's the Wästberg article, in response to the usual US butthurt.
wrote:We master thirteen languages in the Academy but when we suspect a genius hidden in an unknown language we call on translators and oath-sworn experts to give us generous samples of that writer.

We go for an individual’s life’s work regardless of nation, gender, or religion. We could, if need be, give it to Portugal or the US five times in a row, or to essayists, historians, or children’s book writers.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 6:07 pm #15

Bjorn wrote:Vijaydan Detha and Eduardo Mendoza Garriga, huh? Anyone familiar with them? Hanan Al-Shaykh is a new name for me too, I think...
My turn with Eduardo Mendoza (don't know why the hell they keep adding the Garriga at betting lists, it never shows at the cover of his books).
He is a Spanish author that mostly writes detective thrillers/novel noir kind of books. He is good at what he does, but he is far away from being a true contender for this prize.

This two lists basically dropped the names from Ladbrokes when the prize was announced last year, so that is why you see so many repeated names. At least they deleted Mo Yan although not Chinua Achebe. Real action will come up when Ladbrokes publishes their list, probably late August.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 6:43 pm #16

DDR wrote:
Bjorn wrote:Vijaydan Detha and Eduardo Mendoza Garriga, huh? Anyone familiar with them? Hanan Al-Shaykh is a new name for me too, I think...
My turn with Eduardo Mendoza (don't know why the hell they keep adding the Garriga at betting lists, it never shows at the cover of his books).
He is a Spanish author that mostly writes detective thrillers/novel noir kind of books. He is good at what he does, but he is far away from being a true contender for this prize.
Ah, OK. So he's on the lists for the same reason GW Persson is, then.
wrote:This two lists basically dropped the names from Ladbrokes when the prize was announced last year, so that is why you see so many repeated names. At least they deleted Mo Yan although not Chinua Achebe. Real action will come up when Ladbrokes publishes their list, probably late August.
And they still haven't managed to spell "Ian McEwan" correctly either.
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Heteronym
Forum junkie
Heteronym
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 9:43 pm #17

Elie wrote:
According to José Saramago, in his blog, after Blindness the Academy was all set to give him the Nobel Prize. But in the meantime his new novel, All The Names, had come out, and there was no Swedish translation yet. Wary of giving Saramago the Nobel if this new novel were crap, they had to check it out before making a decision. So one of their members got a Portuguese copy, a dictionary and spent all Summer reading the novel. And the rest is history. The member who read it told him this story during the ceremony :)

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

July 19th, 2013, 9:50 pm #18

Reference point for new joiners: The usual suspects from last year's speculations (the quoted unattributed carryover from the year before thanks to alliknowis)

My guess is that they stay outside the EU and the Anglosphere again this year:
Ismail Kadare, Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Amos Oz, Assia Djebar (I'd put Adonis in the mix except for Syria ...)

Elie
Literary lunatic
Elie
Literary lunatic

July 19th, 2013, 10:14 pm #19

nnyhav wrote:My guess is that they stay outside the EU and the Anglosphere again this year:
Ismail Kadare, Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Amos Oz, Assia Djebar (I'd put Adonis in the mix except for Syria ...)
Not read Oz, but I think the other 3 are all very deserving.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

July 20th, 2013, 7:30 am #20

i've reservations as to Doris' writing, but they're part and parcel of, and for me Pinter and Lessing were the only two hereabouts who deserved it, and Doris is getting on a bit. Prizes arent my thing, but I was so glad that Tomas Transtromer won in 2011
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded