Deleted User
Deleted User

October 14th, 2012, 8:57 pm #341

Canox wrote:Oh you know me, there is always some kind of alcohol involved.
yes, I know I can count on you :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 15th, 2012, 11:43 am #342

Canox wrote:
Heteronym wrote: people aren't stupid.
I would suggest the opposite is true and is the reason why there are not more referendums. A good reason, too. I approve.
yes,
http://w11.zetaboards.com/thefictionalw ... 4&t=785217

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

October 16th, 2012, 5:42 am #343

Paul
Literary lunatic
Paul
Literary lunatic

October 16th, 2012, 1:40 pm #344

Wow, it seems that the Secretary-General of the Council of Europe is also the Chairman of the Nobel Comittee:
wrote:Jagland is in favour of Norwegian membership of the European Union. In 1990, he published the book Min europeiske drøm[11] (My European dream). He has also proposed the European Union be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The Nobel Peace Prize was finally awarded to the European Union by Jagland himself in 2012.
(from wikipedia)

That's funny... surprised there wasnt any fake, pointless outrage over this.

It is a very telling sign of our strange times that at least in Europe the only successfull (anti-capitalist) oppostion parties are those of the far right, nationalist populists, neo-fascists, Islam "critics" etc. Everyone criticizing the policies of the European Union has to come to terms with this fact, I think. I also like how biscuits called himself an "old fashioned internationalist" - that's the spirit. (so strangely lacking in so many leftists today)

"Seine Fingern?gel pflegte er mehr als seinen Verstand, den er einfach verwildern liess."

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

October 16th, 2012, 2:31 pm #345

Paul wrote:Wow, it seems that the Secretary-General of the Council of Europe is also the Chairman of the Nobel Comittee:
wrote:Jagland is in favour of Norwegian membership of the European Union. In 1990, he published the book Min europeiske drøm[11] (My European dream). He has also proposed the European Union be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The Nobel Peace Prize was finally awarded to the European Union by Jagland himself in 2012.
(from wikipedia)

That's funny... surprised there wasnt any fake, pointless outrage over this.

It is a very telling sign of our strange times that at least in Europe the only successfull (anti-capitalist) oppostion parties are those of the far right, nationalist populists, neo-fascists, Islam "critics" etc. Everyone criticizing the policies of the European Union has to come to terms with this fact, I think. I also like how biscuits called himself an "old fashioned internationalist" - that's the spirit. (so strangely lacking in so many leftists today)
Paul don't be fooled by the avatar photo
biscuit is a woman!

Funhouse
Forum junkie
Funhouse
Forum junkie

October 17th, 2012, 3:16 am #346

A Couscous of World Literature : The New Yorker
wrote:The Swedish Academy has once again made an outstanding choice for the 2012 Nobel Prize in Literature—congratulations to Mo Yan, who is best known for “Red Sorghum,” a novel published in 1987. Sorghum, you may be interested to know, is the world’s fifth most important cereal crop; like most grains, it can be fermented into a liquor, and Mo tells the story of a girl who works in a distillery. But he is not the first Nobel laureate—or magic realist—whose fiction refers to a carbohydrate. In 1949, Miguel Angel Asturias, of Guatemala, published “Men of Maize.”

This may be a trend, and, if so, Kenya’s Ngugi wa Thiong’o, the author of “A Grain of Wheat,” whose chances of winning a Nobel were 50-1 this year, may have a better shot down the road, especially, perhaps, since as a novelist he has renounced English for his native Gikuyu, a language spoken by about five million people which is thus far without a laureate. (One of their food staples is a cornmeal porridge known as ugali or posho.)

Once you start to research the influence of cereal grains on fiction, you discover that they have nourished many fertile imaginations, including those of Harry Crews (“Blood and Grits”); John Steinbeck (“Tortilla Flat”); Kurt Vonnegut (“Breakfast of Champions”); the contemporary Swiss novelist Aglaja Veteranyi (“Why the Child Is Cooking in the Polenta”), who was tragically short-lived; and, of course, J. D. Salinger. “Catcher in the Rye” may be the most popular dish of the lot.
?He wishes he had never entered the funhouse. But he has. Then he wishes he were dead. But he's not. Therefore he will construct funhouses for others and be their secret operator--though he would rather be among the lovers for whom funhouses are designed.?

Paul
Literary lunatic
Paul
Literary lunatic

October 17th, 2012, 10:59 am #347

suzannahhh wrote:]Paul don't be fooled by the avatar photo
biscuit is a woman!
Oh, sorry, got confused, with the Murphy in the name and all. :)
"Seine Fingern?gel pflegte er mehr als seinen Verstand, den er einfach verwildern liess."

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

October 17th, 2012, 5:32 pm #348

:P it's from an egregiously precocious - but to me very funny - joke in Beckett's novel "Murphy" Paul. And yes, i'm more than a bit skeptical about all "sides" without being the least bit Euroskeptic.

Thanks as ever to my dearest mate {{{{{{{{{{Suz}}}}}}}}}}
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded