Deleted User
Deleted User

August 6th, 2012, 9:07 am #21

Bjorn wrote:Isn't the first volume of Orbitor coming out in English this year, or was that early next year?
How is the Swedish situation re: Cartarescu? I suppose that's more relevant for its decision, no?

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 6th, 2012, 9:14 am #22

I wonder what they are talking over at the Russian forum that was linked by Orthofer... for example what do they think of Shishkin? Will have to turn on the google translator...

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 6th, 2012, 9:15 am #23

byrd9999 wrote:For me it's the old white Americans:

Pynchon, Roth, McCarthy.
old white male Americans :laugh:

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

August 6th, 2012, 9:21 am #24

Canox wrote:
Bjorn wrote:Isn't the first volume of Orbitor coming out in English this year, or was that early next year?
How is the Swedish situation re: Cartarescu? I suppose that's more relevant for its decision, no?
All three parts of Orbitór, as well as Nostalgia and Diaries are available. There's also a poetry collection called A Good Day In My Life.

Then again, the Academy don't always pay attention to what's currently in print. When Pinter got it, his Swedish publishers complained that the Academy gave it to someone who hadn't been in print in years. Engdahl replied "And whose fault is that, then?"
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 6th, 2012, 9:25 am #25

Bjorn wrote:
Canox wrote:
All three parts of Orbitór, as well as Nostalgia and Diaries are available. There's also a poetry collection called A Good Day In My Life.

Then again, the Academy don't always pay attention to what's currently in print. When Pinter got it, his Swedish publishers complained that the Academy gave it to someone who hadn't been in print in years. Engdahl replied "And whose fault is that, then?"
yeah but I made that distinction a few posts back about the two kinds of awards. Do you agree that that seems to be a trend these past years?

and in that case, what's in print by cartarescu would be relevant.

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 6th, 2012, 9:26 am #26

BirneHelene wrote:
byrd9999 wrote:For me it's the old white Americans:

Pynchon, Roth, McCarthy.
old white male Americans :laugh:
yeah. that, plus, the more mccarthy I read the more inconsistent he seems to me - I made the mistake of starting with blood meridian and suttree
and Roth, god, pleaaaaaase no.

I would roundly celebrate a Pynchon nobel though.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

August 6th, 2012, 9:29 am #27

Canox wrote:
Bjorn wrote:
Canox wrote:

yeah but I made that distinction a few posts back about the two kinds of awards. Do you agree that that seems to be a trend these past years?

and in that case, what's in print by cartarescu would be relevant.
Probably, though IIRC Müller and Jelinek were hardly in print when they got it either (though they had been more recently than Pinter, so they could get reprints out in a week or two).

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

August 6th, 2012, 9:30 am #28

A Pynchon Nobel would be lots of fun. If they're going to give it to an American, give it to one who's guaranteed not to show up to collect it. :P

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 6th, 2012, 9:31 am #29

Who else of those Americans has a reasonable chance? DeLillo the fourth elephant, but somehow I cannot see him win over the other three. Who else? Ashbery? But are there prose writers that are underappreciated? Writers that could win without civil war breaking out in the States?

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 6th, 2012, 9:32 am #30

Bjorn wrote:A Pynchon Nobel would be lots of fun. If they're going to give it to an American, give it to one who's guaranteed not to show up to collect it. :P
do you think pynchon could clinch the award by secretly promising the academy to accept it in person?