Literary lunatic
param
Literary lunatic

September 21st, 2012, 5:50 am #171

alliknowis wrote:
DDR wrote:
nnyhav wrote:Surely Assia Djebar (born in Algeria) belongs on that list
(unless you haven't yet read her.)
You're so right, how could I've forgotten her! I have read her, only one book titled Far from Medina. Wasn't impressed by it, but she is surely an interesting author to dig in.
Best of all? -- Helene Cixous, born in Oran
And Milan Kundera , if you may..

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 21st, 2012, 10:59 am #172

DDR wrote:I was thinking about the chances for French language to win the prize this year. After checking last winner (not really a typical French writer as he is fond of travelling and embracing other culture) I realized that some of the most solid candidates this language has to offer are not even born in France, sometimes not even in countries where it is an official language. Here are some of examples I thought:

Amin Maalouf born in Lebanon
Boualem Sansal born in Algeria
Tahar Ben Jelloun born in Morocco
Atiq Rahimi born in Afghanistan
Andreï Makine born in Russia

All of them are writers I've read and that for different reasons I find very worthy (some more than others) to be contending for such a prestigious prize. My favorite among this group is Maalouf, but apart from Rahimi who is still very young for the award, all the rest have enough works and name to win.
Philippe Jaccottet ist still alive folks. Surely he is one of the forerunners for a french language nobel?

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

September 21st, 2012, 2:51 pm #173

Canox wrote:
DDR wrote:I was thinking about the chances for French language to win the prize this year. After checking last winner (not really a typical French writer as he is fond of travelling and embracing other culture) I realized that some of the most solid candidates this language has to offer are not even born in France, sometimes not even in countries where it is an official language. Here are some of examples I thought:

All of them are writers I've read and that for different reasons I find very worthy (some more than others) to be contending for such a prestigious prize. My favorite among this group is Maalouf, but apart from Rahimi who is still very young for the award, all the rest have enough works and name to win.
Philippe Jaccottet ist still alive folks. Surely he is one of the forerunners for a french language nobel?
Most of the best writers in French are sadly difficult for me to imagine them giving the prize to -- unlike the right-thinking Le Clezio, who is a humanist but no literary genius....

It's hard for me to imagine them giving it to Jaccottet or Bonnefoy, since they've been around forever and there is basically no political agenda that that would serve -- which I do think the Committee sees as a bonus. Same thing for Pierre Michon or Pascal Quignard, which is too bad. Michon really has a gift.

Guyotat too controversial, but what a book Coma is.
Volodine probably too much genre baggage and not decorated enough with other prizes, but he's an incredible writer.
Houellebecq, well....he's not the kind of writer that the Nobel would recognize either.

Maybe Cixous or Rene Girard if they decide to recognize someone who's neither a novelist or poet? I doubt it, though...

I can imagine quite a gap for French unless Kundera or one of the group DDR named gets it. In the younger generation of writers, who probably won't be seriously considered for the prize for another 10-15 years at least, Marie Ndiaye seems like a plausible frontrunner.

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

September 21st, 2012, 11:12 pm #174

alliknowis wrote:
Canox wrote:

Most of the best writers in French are sadly difficult for me to imagine them giving the prize to -- unlike the right-thinking Le Clezio, who is a humanist but no literary genius....

It's hard for me to imagine them giving it to Jaccottet or Bonnefoy, since they've been around forever and there is basically no political agenda that that would serve -- which I do think the Committee sees as a bonus. Same thing for Pierre Michon or Pascal Quignard, which is too bad. Michon really has a gift.

Guyotat too controversial, but what a book Coma is.
Volodine probably too much genre baggage and not decorated enough with other prizes, but he's an incredible writer.
Houellebecq, well....he's not the kind of writer that the Nobel would recognize either.

Maybe Cixous or Rene Girard if they decide to recognize someone who's neither a novelist or poet? I doubt it, though...

I can imagine quite a gap for French unless Kundera or one of the group DDR named gets it. In the younger generation of writers, who probably won't be seriously considered for the prize for another 10-15 years at least, Marie Ndiaye seems like a plausible frontrunner.
What about Jean Echenoz? Do you think he has enough baggage to be a real contender for the prize? I really like his uninhibited and free narrative style, although I have to recognize not all of his books are equally good.

Bjorn
Forum junkie
Bjorn
Forum junkie

September 24th, 2012, 1:16 pm #175

Unibet are now offering 150 to 1 if Zlatan Ibrahimovic gets the Nobel. Nevermind that he didn't actually even write his own autobiography.

Well, who knows - maybe the Academy are getting sick of hearing that they never pick anyone that anyone's ever heard of, and are thinking of making a statement?
I did not get into rock'n'roll to play rock'n'roll! (Blixa Bargeld)
Goodreads Movie list Twitter

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 24th, 2012, 1:20 pm #176

ah, by the way, who is that Dacia Maraini person that is so high up on all those lists? She was born in 36 and is an Italian author, but that's all I know. Anybody read her? Is she a serious candidate like Ibrahimovic or the real thing?

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 24th, 2012, 1:39 pm #177

Or for example that Eduardo Mendoza guy. I had his latest publication in German translation in my hands this morning, the original is called Riña de gatos. Madrid 1936. Did not raise my interest to be honest...

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

September 24th, 2012, 1:49 pm #178

Bjorn wrote:Unibet are now offering 150 to 1 if Zlatan Ibrahimovic gets the Nobel. Nevermind that he didn't actually even write his own autobiography.

Well, who knows - maybe the Academy are getting sick of hearing that they never pick anyone that anyone's ever heard of, and are thinking of making a statement?
Well he IS arguably the best striker of the last decade, so......haha

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 24th, 2012, 1:51 pm #179

alliknowis wrote:
Bjorn wrote:Unibet are now offering 150 to 1 if Zlatan Ibrahimovic gets the Nobel. Nevermind that he didn't actually even write his own autobiography.

He is what? Bah! Are you fucking kidding me?? :P

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

September 24th, 2012, 3:26 pm #180

BirneHelene wrote:
alliknowis wrote:

He is what? Bah! Are you fucking kidding me?? :P
Well he's definitely top 5, right? I would put him in the top 3 with Henry and Eto'o, what's your list?