John Gargo
Forum junkie
John Gargo
Forum junkie

September 20th, 2012, 12:01 pm #161

alliknowis wrote:
Canox wrote:Drama is one of my blind spots, so here is a question for the better educated:

How influential is Tom Stoppard? He's been omnipresent for decades. Can you make a case for him being important to drama history/british/european/world drama?
He's enjoyable, but it's pretty light entertainment to be honest. Just not all that much going on.
Well, I dunno about that... I think he's got his place, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is one of the modern classics, IMO... Arcadia is also pretty highly regarded. Anyway, I would think that Edward Albee would be more deserving of the prize.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 20th, 2012, 2:10 pm #162

alliknowis wrote:
Canox wrote:Drama is one of my blind spots, so here is a question for the better educated:

How influential is Tom Stoppard? He's been omnipresent for decades. Can you make a case for him being important to drama history/british/european/world drama?
He's enjoyable, but it's pretty light entertainment to be honest. Just not all that much going on.
Ah, no, I wasn't asking about the quality of his work, I was asking about the impact he had on other writers/literature/drama

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 20th, 2012, 2:18 pm #163

Ever since I remembered that Putnam is still alive I want him to win really badly.

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

September 20th, 2012, 5:04 pm #164

Canox wrote:
alliknowis wrote:

Ah, no, I wasn't asking about the quality of his work, I was asking about the impact he had on other writers/literature/drama
Don't know of any great playwrights he's influenced. And that's the measuring-stick there, right?

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

September 20th, 2012, 6:46 pm #165

Stoppard loves to think,, whilst distrusting of ideas, and not seeming (as to the contents of the drama..seeming to care very much for the people needing protection from said ideas) which is why i lose patience with him. When he's doing his best with the stuff that matters to him, then you'll see something more than lightweight, (Banville is lightweight, and a trickster, as Stoppard is not) Stoppard as heartfelt and energized rather than especially switched on

I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

September 20th, 2012, 7:07 pm #166

oneofmurphysbiscuits wrote:Stoppard loves to think,, whilst distrusting of ideas, and not seeming (as to the contents of the drama..seeming to care very much for the people needing protection from said ideas) which is why i lose patience with him. When he's doing his best with the stuff that matters to him, then you'll see something more than lightweight, (Banville is lightweight, and a trickster, as Stoppard is not) Stoppard as heartfelt and energized rather than especially switched on
We can agree to disagree, but Stoppard does not have a gift for anything to the extent that Banville has a gift with language. Stoppard may be more of a humanist and less of a cruel character personally, but his characters are not as real or as fully drawn as Banville's. Stoppard never surprises me and he never makes my jaw drop. Banville is certainly a trickster and I certainly won't disagree if you question the purity of his motives and manipulations, but there is much more substance to the worlds he creates with his words.

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

September 20th, 2012, 9:29 pm #167

I was thinking about the chances for French language to win the prize this year. After checking last winner (not really a typical French writer as he is fond of travelling and embracing other culture) I realized that some of the most solid candidates this language has to offer are not even born in France, sometimes not even in countries where it is an official language. Here are some of examples I thought:

Amin Maalouf born in Lebanon
Boualem Sansal born in Algeria
Tahar Ben Jelloun born in Morocco
Atiq Rahimi born in Afghanistan
Andreï Makine born in Russia

All of them are writers I've read and that for different reasons I find very worthy (some more than others) to be contending for such a prestigious prize. My favorite among this group is Maalouf, but apart from Rahimi who is still very young for the award, all the rest have enough works and name to win.

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

September 20th, 2012, 11:04 pm #168

Surely Assia Djebar (born in Algeria) belongs on that list
(unless you haven't yet read her.)

DDR
Literary lunatic
DDR
Literary lunatic

September 21st, 2012, 12:10 am #169

nnyhav wrote:Surely Assia Djebar (born in Algeria) belongs on that list
You're so right, how could I've forgotten her! I have read her, only one book titled Far from Medina. Wasn't impressed by it, but she is surely an interesting author to dig in.

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

September 21st, 2012, 3:47 am #170

DDR wrote:
nnyhav wrote:Surely Assia Djebar (born in Algeria) belongs on that list
You're so right, how could I've forgotten her! I have read her, only one book titled Far from Medina. Wasn't impressed by it, but she is surely an interesting author to dig in.
Best of all? -- Helene Cixous, born in Oran