alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

February 8th, 2011, 4:00 pm #311

Jacek wrote:Hah, yeah... I organize my to-read list by country & author's birth-year, and I've noticed recently that (with the USA especially) I have lots & lots of English-language writers born between 1900 and 1950, but hardly anyone born later. Actually, I can cite the only examples here & now: China Miéville and Joshua Cohen (well, and DFW, but that's different). I, of course, also consider Tad Williams a beast of a writer, but he's been a favorite for years & years.

Have I passed over a whole bunch of worthwhile writers, or are young Americans & Brits just not cutting it lately?

Thankfully, Funhouse least keeps us updated about what's going on over in Australia, so that section of the list at least has some life.
Hollinghurst was born in 1954. Otherwise you're right- lots of good writers but almost no BRILLIANT ones.

sub-pet
Forum junkie
sub-pet
Forum junkie

February 8th, 2011, 4:31 pm #312

alliknowis wrote:
Jacek wrote:Hah, yeah... I organize my to-read list by country & author's birth-year, and I've noticed recently that (with the USA especially) I have lots & lots of English-language writers born between 1900 and 1950, but hardly anyone born later. Actually, I can cite the only examples here & now: China Miéville and Joshua Cohen (well, and DFW, but that's different). I, of course, also consider Tad Williams a beast of a writer, but he's been a favorite for years & years.

Have I passed over a whole bunch of worthwhile writers, or are young Americans & Brits just not cutting it lately?

Thankfully, Funhouse least keeps us updated about what's going on over in Australia, so that section of the list at least has some life.
Hollinghurst was born in 1954. Otherwise you're right- lots of good writers but almost no BRILLIANT ones.
Well there's this guy, Vollmann I think his name was... Though it seems no new book from him this year. Slacking off, lazy bastard.
Light passion-bent past roadblocks it has itself devised: yes, in the fine void of our possible intelligence that announces owl-like one weighty day that we didn't know what light was but we'd been promised a power and thought it might be to find out that on good days we were light or got to be.

Jacek
Forum junkie
Jacek
Forum junkie

February 8th, 2011, 6:24 pm #313

Ah, right! Hollinghurst is on my list already (thanks to you, alliknowis), I must've missed that when double-checking this morning. And Vollmann - where to start, sub-pet? The Royal Family?
Deep is the well of the past. Should we not call it bottomless?

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

February 8th, 2011, 6:47 pm #314

What, Hemon & Lahiri don't count?

(non-immigrants? Zach Mason's just getting started ...)

it's not like I haven't complained before about the paucity, but it's relative not absolute.

sub-pet
Forum junkie
sub-pet
Forum junkie

February 8th, 2011, 7:08 pm #315

Jacek wrote:Ah, right! Hollinghurst is on my list already (thanks to you, alliknowis), I must've missed that when double-checking this morning. And Vollmann - where to start, sub-pet? The Royal Family?
Can't go wrong with The Royal Family. Probably his best, and I maintain one of the best books ever. Definitely on the same level as Infinite Jest, on some days I'd say better than it. If you liked Dostoievsky's earnestness I think there's something similar going on in Vollmann (tho I haven't read enough D to be sure I know what I'm talking about). Anyway it's a masterpiece. Read it. :)
Light passion-bent past roadblocks it has itself devised: yes, in the fine void of our possible intelligence that announces owl-like one weighty day that we didn't know what light was but we'd been promised a power and thought it might be to find out that on good days we were light or got to be.

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

February 8th, 2011, 7:13 pm #316

nnyhav wrote:What, Hemon & Lahiri don't count?

it's not like I haven't complained before about the paucity, but it's relative not absolute.
No, they don't count...they're okay writers but come on, they don't compare to Pynchon or Roth or Hollinghurst or Banville or Patrick White or Cormac or Bellow or the true titans of the English-language novel for the past decades

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

February 8th, 2011, 7:28 pm #317

alliknowis wrote:
nnyhav wrote:What, Hemon & Lahiri don't count?

No, they don't count...they're okay writers but come on, they don't compare to Pynchon or Roth or Hollinghurst or Banville or Patrick White or Cormac or Bellow or the true titans of the English-language novel for the past decades
How'd we get from brilliant to true titans so quick?
Anyway, titanship takes time, and half your exemplars are at least umm generous ...

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

February 8th, 2011, 7:31 pm #318

Banville? Banville's abilities are tricksy and dubious at best. I can happily agree to differ about Hollingshurst, but Banville's got more than a touch of the mountebank going on.
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

Jacek
Forum junkie
Jacek
Forum junkie

February 8th, 2011, 8:00 pm #319

sub-pet wrote:
Jacek wrote:Ah, right! Hollinghurst is on my list already (thanks to you, alliknowis), I must've missed that when double-checking this morning. And Vollmann - where to start, sub-pet? The Royal Family?
Can't go wrong with The Royal Family. Probably his best, and I maintain one of the best books ever. Definitely on the same level as Infinite Jest, on some days I'd say better than it. If you liked Dostoievsky's earnestness I think there's something similar going on in Vollmann (tho I haven't read enough D to be sure I know what I'm talking about). Anyway it's a masterpiece. Read it. :)
Great, will do, & gladly! I'm rarely one to turn down an 800-page recommendation.
Deep is the well of the past. Should we not call it bottomless?

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

February 9th, 2011, 2:05 am #320

oneofmurphysbiscuits wrote:Banville? Banville's abilities are tricksy and dubious at best. I can happily agree to differ about Hollingshurst, but Banville's got more than a touch of the mountebank going on.
Haha Banville the mountebank...why do you find him "dubious", too much of an epigone? And what do you think of Hollinghurst?