oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

August 7th, 2012, 3:35 pm #21

i tried buying it from Open Lettter, but since i don't have a google account
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

August 9th, 2012, 10:28 pm #22

hopefully i've just bought a copy through Alibris
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

August 10th, 2012, 12:28 pm #23

oneofmurphysbiscuits wrote:hopefully i've just bought a copy through Alibris
thanks to you, me too{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{SHARON}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}!!!!

and for 99 cents!

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 10th, 2012, 4:03 pm #24

For those understanding German here is a 30min TV interview with the man about Maidenhair and other things:
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/ ... -Interview

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 12th, 2012, 1:00 pm #25

I am halfway through Maidenhair. The German edition has an appendix of nearly 20 pages where the translator explains many of the numerous allusions to Russian and world culture, history and literature that appear in the text. Is there something similar in the English edition? I am quite sure that 95% of those I would have never got without this help.

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

August 12th, 2012, 4:21 pm #26

BirneHelene wrote:I am halfway through Maidenhair. The German edition has an appendix of nearly 20 pages where the translator explains many of the numerous allusions to Russian and world culture, history and literature that appear in the text. Is there something similar in the English edition? I am quite sure that 95% of those I would have never got without this help.
Sadly the English translation does not -- Hope you are enjoying the book

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 13th, 2012, 7:31 am #27

alliknowis wrote:Sadly the English translation does not -- Hope you are enjoying the book
I am, I am, it's good, in particular the parts about the interpreter, his work and thoughts and his past, the failed relationship, Rome etc. It is is really rich and varied, the author is able to switch registers effortlessly. I suppose that this book must have been a lot of work for the translator.

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 13th, 2012, 3:13 pm #28

Short English video on the author and his Maidenhair, in particular the German translation (from Deutsche Welle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFwACI_RLo

Shishkin: :P
wrote:Switzerland is such a boring country nothing ever happens
His translator
wrote:He was right there and read and had an opinion on every single sentence I tried to translate.
That sounds very good actually.

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 14th, 2012, 3:47 pm #29

70 pages left in Maidenhair, very good book, can't stop reading it, although I am probably not as enthusiastic about it as Alliknowis is, but it has strong passages and a strong concept, basically a declaration of love for the written 'word', for stories and written documents of all kinds and how they and the people in them are 'real' for us. Interrogations of immigrants get intermingled with historical events, myths, legends, biblical stories, all boundaries of time are torn down such that Chechen refugees are able to meet Xenophon and his Greek soldiers on their retreat from Persia. But sometimes he is too blatant about his intentions, there are a few passages where I was afraid that he would turn the book into some cheesy how-to-find-beauty-in-life-despite-all-the-nasty-stuff guide. There is one scene where the interpreter visits a prison together with a female lawyer, jeez... but directly afterwards comes such a great, great section, an imagined dialog (presented as a Q&A session like the immigrant interrogations) between interpreter and his former girl friend who killed herself. I supposed, this is the kind of book that can change people's life if they encounter it at the right time and mood in their life.

Elie
Literary lunatic
Elie
Literary lunatic

August 15th, 2012, 2:49 pm #30

Where are people getting this from? I can only find it as a pre order due for release in 2 months. Really intrigued.