alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

11:40 PM - Aug 01, 2012 #11

BirneHelene wrote:Will Evans is very enthusiastic about Maidenhair:
http://www.rochester.edu/College/transl ... hp?id=4302
wrote:Maidenhair is the first Russian book of the 21st-century to appear in English translation that can be truly counted as an instant classic in the broad field of world literature, capable of being taught in university classrooms and discussed in book clubs for centuries to come. Every individual, every emotion, every idea that humanity has ever generated and will forever generate is encapsulated in the 500 pages of Maidenhair. With its perfect combination of style and substance, Maidenhair might just be the book you’ve been waiting your entire life to read.
I've read it. Don't know what to say....too overwhelmed. One of the greatest books I have ever ever read. There is not a better writer at work today anywhere.

Deleted User
Deleted User

5:21 AM - Aug 02, 2012 #12

alliknowis wrote:I've read it.
How did you get your hands on a copy? *jealous*

wrote:October 23, 2012
Novel
Paperback, 506 pages
$17.95 $14.35
5.5" x 8.5"
978-1-934824-36-8

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

7:52 AM - Aug 02, 2012 #13

Canox wrote:
alliknowis wrote:I've read it.
How did you get your hands on a copy? *jealous*

wrote:October 23, 2012
Novel
Paperback, 506 pages
$17.95 $14.35
5.5" x 8.5"
978-1-934824-36-8
You can buy it directly from Open Letter -- not sure why it's not even listed as a pre-order on Amazon yet.

Deleted User
Deleted User

8:04 AM - Aug 02, 2012 #14

alliknowis wrote:You can buy it directly from Open Letter -- not sure why it's not even listed as a pre-order on Amazon yet.
Scott Esposito asked Chad W. Post on Twitter about this and Chad answered something about 'spreadsheet issues'... whatever that means...

Deleted User
Deleted User

8:14 AM - Aug 02, 2012 #15

alliknowis wrote:you can buy it directly from Open Letter
Almost immediately impulse-bought it, but was saved by lack of credit card. *whew*

miercuri
Literary lunatic
miercuri
Literary lunatic

8:24 AM - Aug 02, 2012 #16

Pismovnik is supposed to be published here this summer too, but the publisher's site doesn't say much. Thread piqued my interest.
"Though love appears far off,
you will move into its depth."

Deleted User
Deleted User

11:53 AM - Aug 02, 2012 #17

Canox wrote:
Almost immediately impulse-bought it, but was saved by lack of credit card. *whew*
German paperback coming out in December, Geman translation got several awards, Schischkin worked close together with the translator (Schischkin speaks German fluently)

Deleted User
Deleted User

12:02 PM - Aug 02, 2012 #18

BirneHelene wrote:
Canox wrote:
German paperback coming out in December, Geman translation got several awards, Schischkin worked close together with the translator (Schischkin speaks German fluently)
While the awards are worthless (I have a long list of unbearable translations that won major awards), the last point is very valid.

Found a cheap signed (?!!?) copy of the hc. Ordered it. Ada, this had better be good. I'm rather broke. But a well read person's passionate endorsement of a 500+ page novel - irresistible.

Deleted User
Deleted User

12:10 PM - Aug 02, 2012 #19

Canox wrote:Found a cheap signed (?!!?) copy of the hc. Ordered it.
Ha and I know where you found it ;) I saw this offer also weeks ago, but was put off by the strange fact that a) a signed copy as new for 50% of the original price and b) a seller without any rating and anything else to offer !??!

I wish you luck :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

12:12 PM - Aug 02, 2012 #20

BirneHelene wrote:
Canox wrote:Found a cheap signed (?!!?) copy of the hc. Ordered it.
Ha and I know where you found it ;) I saw this offer also weeks ago, but was put off by the strange fact that a) a signed copy as new for 50% of the original price and b) a seller without any rating and anything else to offer !??!

I wish you luck :)
AAAAAAARgh. Curse you!