alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

September 14th, 2011, 2:12 pm #11

Apart from some already listed (Yeats, Merrill, Bishop, Hopkins, Celan) I'd off the top of my head add recommendations for Cesar Vallejo, Czeslaw Milosz, Zbigniew Herbert, Derek Walcott, Christopher Logue, Paul Muldoon, Ted Hughes, Michael Longley, and Richard Howard...I think with all of those you can find a big Collected volume (even if not up to date for Muldoon, and for Logue you'd need War Music plus All Day Permanent Red and Cold Calls).

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 14th, 2011, 2:36 pm #12

I own two gorgeous paperbacks with collected poems by Cesare Pavese and Montale, which are both quite excellent.

Adrienne Rich's Fact of a Doorframe is the rare thick selected poems volume coming out of 1970s feminist poetry that is truly excellent.

JV Cunningham's collected poems are just as essential and breathtaking as Edgar Bowers' and Louise Bogan's. I swear to God you will love all three.

Edwin Morgan's Collected Poems, also excellent in many places. Thom Gunn, too.

Did I mention the excellent John Wheelwright.

Jean valentine's collected poems is oftentimes strange, but thoroughly excellent. Alfred Corn's selected poems is quite good.

As to other recommendations in this thread, I don't think you would like Blau DuPlessis, but you can google her and find a few of her "drafts" poems online. Tell me if you like her, but I would be surprised. stay away from her criticism. speaking of criticism, I know the man has yet to publish a collected or selected volume of his work, and so it's strictly speaking off topic, but anything by JD McClatchy you can get your hands on, get it. Criticism or poetry.

Listen to alliknowis. Richard Howard's collected is a treasure trove of awesomeness, as is the THICK, juicy collection of Herbert. MIlosz, I'm less of a fan, but in many places still excellent.

as for cavafy, check the thread, two new collections have just come out, with oodles of unpublished material.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 14th, 2011, 2:47 pm #13

Anybody mention Milton or George Herbert? YOu can get the english poems by john milton for about 2 bucks. MILTON.

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

September 14th, 2011, 8:51 pm #14

the first names that came to mind weren't doorstoppers (last night I was gonna respond, but I figured I'd let somebody else do the heavy lifting...they didn't let me down): Elizabeth Bishop and Hart Crane.

Frank O'Hara, James Schuyler, Koch, Ashberry, Ted Berrigan (his partner was Alice Notley), (the 'new york' school and descendents...Harold Norse is a fantastic poet, a little beat)...Oppen, Rakosi...(Lorine Neidecker is the best "objectivist' poet...whatever that means, she writes such beautiful poems like Basho)

Ted Hughes is a great poet and his Collected Poems is fucking huge.

I'd also really recommend Robinson Jeffers. He's great. Marianne Moore...I really like. Bukowski (you either love or hate him, I think...he's written so much, so it's a little hit and miss, but his work from like 1950-85 is mostly great)/

David Jones, Basil Bunting, Geoffrey Hill, Muldoon, Heaney. (David jones wrote In Parenthesis, a Masterpiece).

Williams has a complete poems in two volumes. He sees so clear and deep. I love Williams.

Dylan Thomas...one of my first poetic idols, I read a new introduction to his collected poems by paul muldoon and he sort of compares thomas to yeats, which i find misleading, Thomas seems to not have as many poetic phases (i.e Yeats with his damn gyres and mediums, his rage (seee "The Spuur"---I'm a dirty old man poem), his political poetry, war, etc.) but that's a good thing Thomas is more various within the same work than Yeats. Sad, religious, ecstatic, lustful, musical as lightning...

Ok...so many more. Yvor Winters because I don't think anybody will mention him.

Sorry it's so full of white mostly American men.
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 14th, 2011, 8:53 pm #15

johnnywalkitoff wrote:Sorry it's so full of white mostly American men.
Who are a cut above the rest, anyway, :)

Why should we always fucking apologize?

Jayaprakash
Forum junkie
Jayaprakash
Forum junkie

September 15th, 2011, 2:20 am #16

It's the circumcision thing, right?

A few Indian poets I like: Keki Daruwalla, A.K. Ramanujam, Dom Moraes. I need to read more Indian poetry in general, but I'm pretty certain I've found everything I have read by these three rewarding.
'This cannot be written, but it is this that I will write.'

Jayaprakash
Forum junkie
Jayaprakash
Forum junkie

September 15th, 2011, 2:22 am #17

Canox wrote:Anybody mention Milton or George Herbert? YOu can get the english poems by john milton for about 2 bucks. MILTON.
20th century.

But yes, MILTON.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 15th, 2011, 2:54 am #18

Jayaprakash wrote:It's the circumcision thing, right?
Hahaha.

From myself, if my recommendation(s) stand for anything in your eyes, I will mention these.

- Donald Hall

- Cid Corman: his two-volume collection Of is out of print and insanely expensive, but see if you can find it: you will be transformed

- Cathal O Searcaigh. Sorry, nothing doorstop-sized here, but pick up almost any collection and swoon over the sensuality of it all.

- Seamus Heaney

- Boleslaw Lesmian. Nothing in English, I don't think, but see if he's been translated into a language which you can read. (I am lucky, in this regard, to have Russian).

The Russians I hesitate to recommend because I can't stand translations (from those languages I am familiar with, anyway, :) ) But favorites would probably include Tsvetaeva, Yesenin, Sosnora, and the omnipresent Anna A.

Oh, and the odd Calvinist Cornishman Jack Clemo. Gobble. Him. Up.

Jayaprakash
Forum junkie
Jayaprakash
Forum junkie

September 15th, 2011, 3:04 am #19

If this is a good representation of Blau DuPlessis' work I'm not sure why I should not be interested: http://rachelblauduplessis.com/poetry-o ... 7-athwart/

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 15th, 2011, 8:48 am #20

Jayaprakash wrote:If this is a good representation of Blau DuPlessis' work I'm not sure why I should not be interested: http://rachelblauduplessis.com/poetry-o ... 7-athwart/
well, good for you. and yes it is. :)