Cross-out literature

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
alliknowis
Literary lunatic

March 16th, 2009, 5:48 pm #1

(Srikanth) Reddy’s current project is part scholarship and part literature. It starts with the memoirs of Kurt Waldheim, a former Secretary-General of the United Nations, who was disgraced after his membership in the Nazi Party and complicity in war crimes during World War II were made public. For Reddy, Kurt Waldheim’s memoirs raise issues, not only in terms of ethics, but also literature. “I’m writing a book,” says Reddy, “that erases language from the memoirs of Kurt Waldheim, and tries to find a poem inside his text … crossing out words from his memoirs gave me a way of exploring questions of silence and ethical implication in my own work.” This project brings together Reddy’s scholarly interests with the composition of poetry (composition in this case means crossing out words rather than writing them) to produce a uniquely cerebral work.

http://chicagoweekly.net/2007/05/03/poe ... the-world/

Anyone know of other past or current "cross-out literature?"

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

March 16th, 2009, 7:58 pm #2

johnnywalkitoff
Forum junkie

March 17th, 2009, 7:15 pm #3

nnyhav,

that blog post was brilliant. I do believe you found something in the purloined letter that is isn't really discussed ( as you said so many trying to get at the contents of the letter and the others using their preconceived theories to digest the text). Most of the time people assume that Dupin did to the minister what the minister had done to the queen, that ven diagrams are necesary in describing the story, etc. etc. (Lacan reading: the letter confers some sort of feminity on the holder and on previous owner it confers a lack of power, impotence). But your deep reading aidedby the cut-up 'graph does shed new light on the work, makes the story read in a more dynamic light (less static, less a beautifully constructed piece of ratiocination), a progression a or digression, anyways, movement.
The clock is a ceiling fan with no breeze.

Why do you, in becoming a crowd, look as plain and anonymous as a smear of dull and dying flowers?

I Am Not Hamlet
Literary lunatic
I Am Not Hamlet
Literary lunatic

March 17th, 2009, 7:32 pm #4

Humument, A Treated Victorian Novel by Tom Phillips...
http://www.humument.com/
You can read it online too.
If it looks like art, it must be someone else's.

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

March 17th, 2009, 8:13 pm #5

you beat me to it, Ham
I have HUmument
and it's splendid
I'm sure I've mentioned it
maybe even put up that same link
or posted an image or two
in one or another thread

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

March 17th, 2009, 8:17 pm #6

johnnyw, I'm glad it comes across, what I don't get is why it isn't much discussed (I can't think that I'm the first to think of it). I liked and learned from Muller & Richardson's The Purloined Poe, even if it is 20x the length of the story itself, but the decons are intent on Lacan and each other. And Poe was as much a critic as anything, or anybody ... hey, come to think of it, he did some crossing out himself ...

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

March 17th, 2009, 10:15 pm #7

your blog/post made me wonder if there's been anything written on subjectivity, first person authority (or otherwise) in Poe's work, nnyhav? I'm saving Poe until after i've read more Melville, but i'm interested in light of Hume/Descartes in particular and challenges (or simply an unwillingness to answer to) thhose logics as given/inalienable?
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

November 20th, 2010, 6:29 pm #8

Tree of Codes:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/no ... uno-schulz
wrote:For years I had wanted to create a die-cut book by erasure, a book whose meaning was exhumed from another book. It was hardly an original idea: it's a technique that has been practised for as long as there has been writing, perhaps most brilliantly by Tom Phillips in his magnum opus, A Humument. But the same idea in a different time is a different idea, and on the brink of the end of paper, I was attracted to the idea of a book that cannot forget it has a body.

I had thought of trying the technique with the dictionary, the encyclopedia, the phone book, various works of fiction and non-fiction, and with my own novels. But any of those options would have merely spoken to the process. The resulting book would have been a conceptual work at best, and at worst an exercise. I was in search of a text whose erasure would somehow be a continuation of its creation.

The Street of Crocodiles is often my answer to the nonsensical question: what is your favourite book? And yet, it took me a year to recognise it as the text I'd been looking for. Why? Because I loved the book too much to conceive of changing it, much less subtracting from it? Because the historical resonances were so powerful?

Porphry
Literary lunatic
Porphry
Literary lunatic

November 22nd, 2010, 3:30 pm #9

Something similar to cross-out: a book made of what someone else crossed out: ; or, The Whale by Damion Searls.

http://quarterlyconversation.com/half-o ... -interview

nnyhav
Forum junkie
nnyhav
Forum junkie

August 3rd, 2013, 9:21 pm #10

Evening Will Come: The Erasure Issue
http://www.thevolta.org/ewc-mainpage28.html
via thepage