physics, cosmos-style
here

http://www.economist.com/science/displa ... d=10018587

fascinating!
yes?

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

November 8th, 2007, 12:04 am #2

a bit more science would be welcome, Suz Are there any new works, astronomy and physics, to recommend?
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

onefatman
onefatman

November 8th, 2007, 12:14 am #3

I am currently reading a great book on physics and mathematics and philosophy, but as far as maths is concerned, it's more a discipline pf philosophy than a so-called natural science, well, I turned it over to my fiancé so technically I am no longer reading it. you've probably read it it's Huw Price's Time's arrow and archimedes point

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

November 8th, 2007, 12:22 am #4

I just got it
last week, Marcel.

though please
mathematics is NOT a SCIENCE
it's a language
primarily spoken in the sciences

onefatman
onefatman

November 8th, 2007, 12:23 am #5

suzannahhh wrote:
though please
mathematics is NOT a SCIENCE
yes I said something to that effect

Docpacey
Literary lunatic
Docpacey
Literary lunatic

November 8th, 2007, 12:40 am #6

this, to me, is a nice science article. Turok is pushing the boundaries of cosmology theory, but doing it with a healthy dose of skepticism. the article even includes a criterium for falsification:
wrote:If the cold spot is merely a random fluctuation in the cosmic microwave background, for example, that could be revealed by examining the polarisation of the microwaves coming from it.
brilliant minds, creating plausible metaphorical explanations for the unknown, and then devising tests, whether possible with present technology or not, to validate or refute their explanations. acceptable.

If you can?t annoy somebody, there is little point in writing.
Kingsley Amis

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

November 8th, 2007, 1:16 am #7

maths isn't a science, Marcel. Beyond that, philosophy matters to me because i begin with what i don't know, not what i do. It was also for me a better route, a better medicine if you will than any therapy, because it answers to my nature, and doesnt commence with dysfunction
I only think, if that is the name for this vertiginous panic as of hornets smoked out of their nests, once a certain degree of terror has been exceeded

onefatman
onefatman

November 8th, 2007, 1:25 am #8

wrote:Beyond that, philosophy matters to me because i begin with what i don't know
Yes isn't that great?
wrote: maths isn't a science, Marcel.
I know, that what I meant when I wrote (maybe misleadingly?)
wrote:as far as maths is concerned, it's more a discipline pf philosophy than a so-called natural science,

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Forum junkie

November 8th, 2007, 11:01 am #9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentar ... ture.shtml

if the changes to the bbc make for changes to bbc four i'll be extraordinarily cross

there was a fabulous series a couple of years back on the history of theories of vision, which i'm familiar with from the works of David Lindberg (whose books are fabulous i willl say) but to have an entire series devoted to their explication, release of meaning was fantastic

suzannahhh
Forum junkie
suzannahhh
Forum junkie

November 14th, 2007, 12:47 pm #10

laaaa
the wonders of fMRI's!

finding out
where the gods reside
or to be more accurate
where one of them is

I do wonder if an intense experience with