Your most recent pop concert

Your most recent pop concert

Stephen

22 Dec 2004, 06:48 #1

What's the most recent concert you went to? And how was it?

••

Note added June 2008:
I thought I'd move this thread out of General and into this section, where it probably belongs.

But if you would prefer to start a new, separate thread for a specific gig review, please do (and I will make sure it is indexed here). I really enjoy reading the in-depth concert reviews and wish people would post more of them.

••

First gig? / Next gig?

Divvey
Divvey

22 Dec 2004, 07:39 #2

Costello, last month in Sydney, great show, played 2 1/2 hours, mix of old & new. Never missed a beat & great mirrorball shoes too.
Support was dreadful.
Beer was expensive.

Stephen

22 Dec 2004, 09:07 #3

Divvey @ Dec 22 2004, 07:39 AM wrote: Support was dreadful.
Who were they?

OfficeDave

22 Dec 2004, 09:12 #4

Apart from an informal gathering of folk musicians in a pub in Greenwich that I went to with Bagrec and a few others and also Scaledown (which I'm not sure if that counts as a pop concert - Terry Edwards & Thomas Truax were my highlights) - the last big show I went to was Ibrahim Ferrer at the Royal Festival Hall in London. It was good if not great. Perhaps too serious and grown up an atmosphere for me.

Dr. Sprtsch

22 Dec 2004, 09:15 #5

My last one was Nick Cave last month. Cavo was in excellent form, but christ, the songs he chose to play for the first 1½ hours were all from the bottom end of the last three or four records. Huge disappointement. The he chose some wrong tracks from the back catalogue for encores, and finally an only 1½ minute version of Mercy Seat :angry: :grrr:
....................................................................................[/COLOR]

gappy tooth

22 Dec 2004, 10:02 #6

Last one was a few days ago, in a tiny room in Oxford.

Started with a guy I know doing vinyl loops & stuff on 6 decks. Pretty good. Someone came to the door, stood there for a mkinute & left again, saying "What harroible ghost music" :D

Then it was all left field folk & Americana stuff.

The woman from Jackie O Motherfucker was pretty crap: her fingerpicking little songs were only "alternative" in that she wasn't very good at it.

MV & EE medicine show were very enjoyable, a sort of detuned clunky blues (but without any of the bombast & fluster of, say, Tom Waits).

Charalambides were fun, they went for a sort of country drone, featuring bowed banjo & stuff. Just as I was getting a bit bored they salvaged it by getting all the other musicians up to bang gongs & play tin whistles & stuff.

Quite a good gig, all told.
Good Vi-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bratio-xx

Divvey
Divvey

22 Dec 2004, 10:05 #7

Stephen @ Dec 22 2004, 07:07 PM wrote:
Divvey @ Dec 22 2004, 07:39 AM wrote: Support was dreadful.
Who were they?
Can't remember the name, but it was 2 blokes with accoustics, it seems they were the front men of a fairly OK Aussie band called The Sports (XTc ish, from the little I have heard) but they would have been more at home in a pub on a Sunday afternoon. Very poor in the grand setting of Sydney's State Theatre.

petehine

22 Dec 2004, 12:07 #8

Nunchukka Superfly in the Zoo last week (that's in Brisbane) . My ears are nearly back to normal. They play a mix of Melvins kind of rock and space-rock. You may know 2 of their members, Blackie and Ray from the Hard Ons. This band sounds quite different. I probably have seen Nunchukka more than any other band here in Oz. Their third record is just out and pretty good.
The Zoo is a good venue. They actually have the windows open during the gig which is great for the air quality. I have seen Wire and Calexico in the same venue earlier this year. Both excellent.

doctor chunks

22 Dec 2004, 12:11 #9

the stooltastic bob log III.

a one man, budget, blues explosion.

:beer: :o boob whisky.
halifax copter

foetusized

22 Dec 2004, 14:55 #10

I saw They Might Be Giants on their last tour, great show.
Opening was Corn-Mo. Imagine a younger, more profane Meatloaf who accompanies himself on the accordion -- Foe
SNOTBALLS!

the_shrander

22 Dec 2004, 15:59 #11

last one I went to was The Decemberists, supported by The Unicorns.
Decemberists were great, if not very different from how they are on record. Unicorns were shambolic.

Gaz
Gaz

22 Dec 2004, 16:00 #12

The Fall, manchester bierkeller.
Sure ive already mentioned this once or twice :zip:

Bad CB
Bad CB

22 Dec 2004, 16:04 #13

Hey Gaz, I like your new avatar - is that inspired by the lead singer in Kings of Leon??
"To me it just sounds like..."

S5 not Manc

22 Dec 2004, 16:06 #14

Bad CB @ Dec 23 2004, 04:04 AM wrote: Hey Gaz, I like your new avatar - is that inspired by the lead singer in Kings of Leon??
Kings of Leon are a class what I have heard of them, has anybody heard the album yet?
Is it worth getting?
Our eyes are red, our brains are dead.

S5 not Manc(Fall MBE)
----------------------------
Review a movie here . Movie review index

R. Totale

22 Dec 2004, 16:34 #15

Siouxsie's Dreamshow at the RFH.. Stunning, as you can see from my slightly pretentious and still-off-my-face review here...

http://invisionfree.com/forums/thefall/ ... topic=3405
"The Gruppe is generally more cheerful, 'cos I'm fucking dying!"

marvell78

22 Dec 2004, 19:53 #16

THMK, Ukrainian hip hop in Kiev

music was very good,didn't need to understand the words, just to be at a gig in a place where music really matters and makes a difference was uplifting

but before the gig we were in a small park in the suburb of Kiev where we were staying..because not a lot of people have tv or radio they gather together in the parks and sing...we listened for over an hour to a group of people standing in a circle singing songs..the group changed over the course of the hour, people came and went...at one point, we were invited to join in (which we did to the best of our limited abilites)...it was one of those experiences that really make you wonder what the f**k has become of music in the west..

moonie
moonie

22 Dec 2004, 20:49 #17

The Television Personalities, this month, after 24 years of fandom.

Well worth the wait.

johnnyanglia

22 Dec 2004, 21:24 #18

The Seeds in Glasgow. Very dissapointing i am afraid to say. Sky Saxon talked his way through most of the songs. Still they were brilliant in their day.

Ladybugz44

22 Dec 2004, 22:50 #19

I saw The Pixies a couple of weeks ago at The Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ.

They were incredible, but our seats were horrible, we were so far back. I had to stand on my chair to see anything. I almost fell several times. It wasn't loud enough either. I could hear myself singing (which I don't what hear) and my ears weren't buzzing afterwards at all.

The opening bands were pretty band- I wasn't even paying attention. I hope the Pixies tour again. I have to see them in a club setting, not in a seated venue.

Great Setlist!

usrlocal

22 Dec 2004, 23:10 #20

Oh god, probably a Supertramp tribute band I saw almost 10 years ago.

Never was much for concerts....I usually get bored at some point.
Unsuitable for romantics

usrlocal

22 Dec 2004, 23:13 #21

That being said, I'll wager that I'd thoroughly enjoy a Fall concert from start to finish.

A moot point, of course, since they seem allergic to Canada. :(
Unsuitable for romantics

23 Dec 2004, 04:34 #22

marvell78 @ Dec 23 2004, 07:53 AM wrote: THMK, Ukrainian hip hop in Kiev

music was very good,didn't need to understand the words, just to be at a gig in a place where music really matters and makes a difference was uplifting

but before the gig we were in a small park in the suburb of Kiev where we were staying..because not a lot of people have tv or radio they gather together in the parks and sing...we listened for over an hour to a group of people standing in a circle singing songs..the group changed over the course of the hour, people came and went...at one point, we were invited to join in (which we did to the best of our limited abilites)...it was one of those experiences that really make you wonder what the f**k has become of music in the west..
Nice posting. I can relate, I know it intimately - I'm Ukrainian. And did you also notice that the Ukrainian girls really knock you out; they leave the west behind?
Hubba hubba! I know this intimately, too: I married one.
the one who throws the last book on the fire...woe, woe, woe -nellie!

swintax

23 Dec 2004, 18:26 #23

ghostly neutrino @ Dec 23 2004, 04:34 PM wrote:
marvell78 @ Dec 23 2004, 07:53 AM wrote: THMK, Ukrainian hip hop in Kiev

Nice posting. I can relate, I know it intimately - I'm Ukrainian. And did you also notice that the Ukrainian girls really knock you out; they leave the west behind?
:o Snap :wub: All this! I agree totally!! :rolleyes:
( I miss her :ohdear: , but she returns in January :) , but I am still worried :unsure: about all this voting )

24 Dec 2004, 05:48 #24

swintax @ Dec 24 2004, 06:26 AM wrote:

:o Snap :wub: All this! I agree totally!! :rolleyes:
( I miss her :ohdear: , but she returns in January :) , but I am still worried :unsure: about all this voting ) [/quote]

I pray that Yuschenko's inspired guidance and the goodwill and the good sense of the people will prevail. I trust it will. And when your girl safely arrives in January your combined celebration will further take the chill out of January.

Cheers / na zdarov'lya!

:beer:
the one who throws the last book on the fire...woe, woe, woe -nellie!

Green

24 Dec 2004, 06:05 #25

Dr. Sprtsch @ Dec 22 2004, 01:15 AM wrote: My last one was Nick Cave last month. Cavo was in excellent form, but christ, the songs he chose to play for the first 1½ hours were all from the bottom end of the last three or four records. Huge disappointement. The he chose some wrong tracks from the back catalogue for encores, and finally an only 1½ minute version of Mercy Seat :angry: :grrr:
One bad aspect of my job is that I get up quite early, so I've unfortunately curtailed going to most shows, especially on weekdays. Nick's 2002 show in Portland was absolutely brilliant, Blixa was still in the band, a great mix of old and new, and an awesome venue (Crystal Ballroom). Too bad that he's cut Mercy Seat to that short length, and I just can't imagine Stagger Lee w/out Blixa these days.

Last show would've then been The Mekons, on their 25th anniversary tour, in Portland, Sept, 2002. Absolutely amazing show, lots of laughs, and lots of classic songs: Millionaire; Fantastic Voyage, Bastard, Rosanne, Orpheus, Memphis, Egypt, etc. Also, Rebecca Gates, ex-Spinanes, tried to lift Sally Timms shirt over her head on the sychronized dancing for Now We Have The Bomb, to her embarrassment and Jon and Tom's amusement.
Do all these musicians have a social conscience?