Your most recent pop concert

Joined: Mar 11 2010, 11:22 AM

Dec 2 2017, 05:26 PM #1701

Obviously some concerts are better seated, but given the choice I'll always go for standing tickets.

Anyway, last show was rail-punk band Eastfield at my local last night. Danced like a drunken idiot, which to be fair is what I was. I'm sure there will be comments when I look in again tonight.

Only downside was that four of the eight of us who planned to go didn't turn up. Their loss.
Quote
Share

Jim Kidder
Member
Joined: Oct 24 2007, 06:53 PM

Dec 2 2017, 07:08 PM #1702

Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Dec 3 2017, 03:50 AM wrote:
Jim Kidder @ Dec 3 2017, 03:13 AM wrote:
bzfgt @ Dec 3 2017, 03:11 AM wrote: Who doesn't at our ages? I never seem to go to a venue these days that has them, though...
never used to think about this convenience, now it's the first thing I think of :( no longer think it's so fun to stand for 3 hours in a crowded room
Whoa! Stop right there Grandad.

Horses for courses.

If it was The Fall or Sleafotd Mods.

I'm gonna shake my butt.

I wanna move.Have seen The Fall

seated a few times and its like being restricted,restrained held against my will.The downside to be near front you wanna get there after the support act has finished .That means standing at least an hr in your feet whilst the tension mounts
:grrr: Saw Marc Almond perform "Mother Fist " last year and being seated ,suited.
I suppose what I am trying to say.

I'm just not as old as you 2 duffers.
Hold your fire, whippersnapper!

I still go to 'stand up' concerts. And if they don't plod on for hours, it's not a problem. And even if they do I can hedge my bets by bringing DRUGS to help distract from the goddam discomfort.
becoming more maladjusted by the minute
Quote
Share

sigma2
Member
Joined: Dec 17 2015, 02:47 PM

Dec 2 2017, 09:57 PM #1703

Faust x Gnod at Gorilla Manchester, great, a bit scary even when the crash barriers started coming over our heads.
Elitist Ponce
Quote
Share

Joined: Jul 2 2011, 03:48 PM

Dec 3 2017, 03:40 PM #1704

Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Dec 3 2017, 02:57 AM wrote: Gorillaz at Manchester Arena .

Took my little ( big) boy as he is in

to them.The venue was cracking and

the sound was superb.

I bought seated tickets :devil:

As I thought "as I'm not into them at least
I'm not on my feet.

He does put on a good show.

Not my cup of tea and I just can't warm to
Damon Alburn at all.Clearly he has an ear and more talent than Liam or is he just smarter.I usually scoff at big gigs but on last nights outing would definitely go again for say Radiohead or such like.

There was an array of rappers and quite a few catchy Acid beat stompers that were up my street. A lot were swaying their arms and had the torch on the phones switched on Cunts ban em
:grrr: I'm far too cool to be having a good time.Let me be miserable in piece you fuckers.
That said this live was transcending.

Just been playing on repeat.

" We got the power to love one another


no matter "https://youtu.be/rBTjYcXCOXE
Quote
Share

Jim Kidder
Member
Joined: Oct 24 2007, 06:53 PM

Jan 13 2018, 03:00 AM #1705

Just about to leave to go to this thing:



Will report back if I return home alive 
becoming more maladjusted by the minute
Quote
Share

Jim Kidder
Member
Joined: Oct 24 2007, 06:53 PM

Jan 13 2018, 07:02 AM #1706

It so happens that the first show I saw in 2018 was incredibly lame.  As entertainment, it was shite in nearly every conceivable way.  

It's hard to comprehend how anyone could fail so completely at putting on something that was supposed to be a Bowie/Elvis live music event, at such a hallowed music club, to a capacity crowd, on a Friday night in Austin.  But these people did.   It was colossally bad.    You could feel the utter suckitude of the whole affair leeching into your bones. 

Nowhere to go but up after this.
becoming more maladjusted by the minute
Quote
Share

scratch
Member
Joined: Jun 23 2004, 05:58 PM

Jan 13 2018, 02:21 PM #1707

^^^ Yikes - I'd be curious to hear more about what exactly sucked so bad about it.

I ended 2017 with a mixed bag of a concert.  My son and I saw Devin Townsend open up for Clutch on New Year's Eve.  Both bands were great, but the audience not so much.  I expected partying, but people were drinking like it was their last day on earth, and before you knew it, fights were breaking out and some dude thew up right next to us.  We were near some employees of the venue who had the shitty job of keeping people from standing in a fire lane, and the resistance they got as the night went on went from annoying to disgusting.  Finally, during Clutch's encore, a guy near us had to be wrestled down by five security guards, and as much as we wanted to hear the final song (which we knew would be the immortal X-Ray Visions), my son and I split rather than risk that asshole getting loose and/or pulling out a weapon.

Good news, though: we were back at the same venue a week later, and 2018 started off right.  After the last experience, I was not exactly looking forward to the next show, plus the headliner was Avatar, a band that is much more my son's thing than it is mine.  But not only were Avatar excellent, but the audience was the kind that makes a show special.  They were so into the band, and everyone we interacted with (even the very drunk ones) were friendly and just psyched to be there.

  
Quote
Share

Jim Kidder
Member
Joined: Oct 24 2007, 06:53 PM

Jan 13 2018, 05:18 PM #1708

scratch wrote: ^^^ Yikes - I'd be curious to hear more about what exactly sucked so bad about it.

I ended 2017 with a mixed bag of a concert.  My son and I saw Devin Townsend open up for Clutch on New Year's Eve.  Both bands were great, but the audience not so much.  I expected partying, but people were drinking like it was their last day on earth, and before you knew it, fights were breaking out and some dude thew up right next to us.  We were near some employees of the venue who had the shitty job of keeping people from standing in a fire lane, and the resistance they got as the night went on went from annoying to disgusting.  Finally, during Clutch's encore, a guy near us had to be wrestled down by five security guards, and as much as we wanted to hear the final song (which we knew would be the immortal X-Ray Visions), my son and I split rather than risk that asshole getting loose and/or pulling out a weapon.

Good news, though: we were back at the same venue a week later, and 2018 started off right.  After the last experience, I was not exactly looking forward to the next show, plus the headliner was Avatar, a band that is much more my son's thing than it is mine.  But not only were Avatar excellent, but the audience was the kind that makes a show special.  They were so into the band, and everyone we interacted with (even the very drunk ones) were friendly and just psyched to be there.

  
Hey scratch, sorry the assholes in the crowd tainted yer enjoyment of Clutch et al..  I have had a few similar experiences at punk and hard rock shows.  People can sorta suck.

As far as the misnamed Bowie/Elvis fest, it's hard to adequately sum up how bad it was.  My main beef is that it was fraudulently advertised.   Very little Bowie and Elvis music was played -- it was like an afterthought by the bands, like, "oh yeah, I guess we need to play something by Bowie or Elvis b/c of their birthdays and shit, do we know any of their songs?"  And the few Bowie/Elvis covers were uninspired and sloppy.  And there was only one Bowie cover at all  ("Suffragette City") which was dreadfully and disrespectfully done.

This was not an Elvis or Bowie tribute, a glam show,  a celebration of decadence, or anything like what was advertised.   It was just some mediocre nobody roots-rock bands who got away with charging $15 by claiming to have a Bowie/Elvis fest.  The John Evans band was particularly awful ... like an unintended parody of Blueshammer.   Hipsters with no stage presence or originality, their lead bespectacled geek in a bowtie singing about riding boxcars and revving his hot rod and how his hot devil woman loved his bodacious sex drive, whoa whoa whoa whoa --  in the most trite embarrassing terms possible.  My skin crawled.

And then you had totally unnecessary smarmy hucksterism going on between sets.  Shout outs to corporate sponsors, which were like paid commercials.  I saw no need for corporate sponsors at all -- all they contributed was free drinks for the shitty bands!  I mean, after all, the persons responsible were charging $15 a head!  

And the owner of some shitty record label in Houston getting out on stage and promoting some terrible sounding keg party he was gonna throw .  And then the so-called "MC," which was just some lame middle-aged white dude,  making the crowd beg for crappy BowieElvis fest T-shirts they made, and constantly telling everybody what a great time we were all having, and instructing us in great icky detail how we needed to scream really loud or the upcoming amateur burlesque act wasn't gonna take some of their clothes off.

Then to see all the millennial frat boys and their dates grooving to shit music that had nothing to do with Bowie or Elvis.

Does that give you a flavor for how lame it was?
becoming more maladjusted by the minute
Quote
Share

scratch
Member
Joined: Jun 23 2004, 05:58 PM

Jan 13 2018, 06:41 PM #1709

Jim Kidder wrote:
scratch wrote: ^^^ Yikes - I'd be curious to hear more about what exactly sucked so bad about it.

I ended 2017 with a mixed bag of a concert.  My son and I saw Devin Townsend open up for Clutch on New Year's Eve.  Both bands were great, but the audience not so much.  I expected partying, but people were drinking like it was their last day on earth, and before you knew it, fights were breaking out and some dude thew up right next to us.  We were near some employees of the venue who had the shitty job of keeping people from standing in a fire lane, and the resistance they got as the night went on went from annoying to disgusting.  Finally, during Clutch's encore, a guy near us had to be wrestled down by five security guards, and as much as we wanted to hear the final song (which we knew would be the immortal X-Ray Visions), my son and I split rather than risk that asshole getting loose and/or pulling out a weapon.

Good news, though: we were back at the same venue a week later, and 2018 started off right.  After the last experience, I was not exactly looking forward to the next show, plus the headliner was Avatar, a band that is much more my son's thing than it is mine.  But not only were Avatar excellent, but the audience was the kind that makes a show special.  They were so into the band, and everyone we interacted with (even the very drunk ones) were friendly and just psyched to be there.

  
Hey scratch, sorry the assholes in the crowd tainted yer enjoyment of Clutch et al..  I have had a few similar experiences at punk and hard rock shows.  People can sorta suck.

As far as the misnamed Bowie/Elvis fest, it's hard to adequately sum up how bad it was.  My main beef is that it was fraudulently advertised.   Very little Bowie and Elvis music was played -- it was like an afterthought by the bands, like, "oh yeah, I guess we need to play something by Bowie or Elvis b/c of their birthdays and shit, do we know any of their songs?"  And the few Bowie/Elvis covers were uninspired and sloppy.  And there was only one Bowie cover at all  ("Suffragette City") which was dreadfully and disrespectfully done.

This was not an Elvis or Bowie tribute, a glam show,  a celebration of decadence, or anything like what was advertised.   It was just some mediocre nobody roots-rock bands who got away with charging $15 by claiming to have a Bowie/Elvis fest.  The John Evans band was particularly awful ... like an unintended parody of Blueshammer.   Hipsters with no stage presence or originality, their lead bespectacled geek in a bowtie singing about riding boxcars and revving his hot rod and how his hot devil woman loved his bodacious sex drive, whoa whoa whoa whoa --  in the most trite embarrassing terms possible.  My skin crawled.

And then you had totally unnecessary smarmy hucksterism going on between sets.  Shout outs to corporate sponsors, which were like paid commercials.  I saw no need for corporate sponsors at all -- all they contributed was free drinks for the shitty bands!  I mean, after all, the persons responsible were charging $15 a head!  

And the owner of some shitty record label in Houston getting out on stage and promoting some terrible sounding keg party he was gonna throw .  And then the so-called "MC," which was just some lame middle-aged white dude,  making the crowd beg for crappy BowieElvis fest T-shirts they made, and constantly telling everybody what a great time we were all having, and instructing us in great icky detail how we needed to scream really loud or the upcoming amateur burlesque act wasn't gonna take some of their clothes off.

Then to see all the millennial frat boys and their dates grooving to shit music that had nothing to do with Bowie or Elvis.

Does that give you a flavor for how lame it was?
Yes, a flavor like shit.  In fact, my friend who is a librarian wrote me an email this week about a patron who loudly, wetly shit through his pants and onto the library floor a few feet in front of her, and I found myself making the same faces as I read your post as I made while reading her email.

I try to be a go with the flow kind of guy, but I'm not very good at it sometimes, and had I been at that show, it would've been one of those times.  The combination of horseshit you described is the exact sort of combination that drives me up a wall.  It's not even something you can just laugh at; it's just too annoying.  I'd have been seething.  
   
Quote
Share

Jim Kidder
Member
Joined: Oct 24 2007, 06:53 PM

Jan 13 2018, 06:58 PM #1710

I was seething.  It was a ripoff and a disgrace.  And I felt they had no business being in the Continental Club before a paying audience. 

There was clearly a substantial older crowd --  people who knew more than five Elvis/Bowie songs and were music fans --  who came to see a real tribute show like was advertised, and we were all looking at each other in disbelief and dismay.   My friend and I left about midnight, before the burlesque show.  Not that I'm averse to burlesque or gratuitous tits but I figured that was going to be a real drag, too, given the people running this thing.  I already felt degraded enough just being there.
becoming more maladjusted by the minute
Quote
Share

Joined: Oct 10 2007, 10:25 AM

Jan 14 2018, 01:27 AM #1711

Posting for young Divvey who's jaunting round the subcontinent with his family.
The Chameleons were just extraordinary at the Factory last night.
Memory slightly hazy but I remember Don't Fall opening, Nostalgia, Soul in Isolation, Monkeyland, Second Skin,  A person Isn't safe anywhere these days, and encores Swamp Thing and In Shreds.
Half full venue, goth heavy crowd, a rare thing to see so many people grinning from ear to ear for the gig's duration, I include meself within that group.
Mark Burgess still has the chops to pull off something magnificent. I know it's early in the year but this could well end up being my gig of 2018.
Many people doing the iphone thing so there may be content up on youtoob by now.
Quote
Share

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: Dec 6 2003, 05:56 AM

Jan 18 2018, 03:58 PM #1712

cryptomoralist wrote:Posting for young Divvey who's jaunting round the subcontinent with his family.
The Chameleons were just extraordinary at the Factory last night.
Memory slightly hazy but I remember Don't Fall opening, Nostalgia, Soul in Isolation, Monkeyland, Second Skin,  A person Isn't safe anywhere these days, and encores Swamp Thing and In Shreds.
Half full venue, goth heavy crowd, a rare thing to see so many people grinning from ear to ear for the gig's duration, I include meself within that group.
Mark Burgess still has the chops to pull off something magnificent. I know it's early in the year but this could well end up being my gig of 2018.
Many people doing the iphone thing so there may be content up on youtoob by now.

Here is the show.

hey ho

Quote
Share

Joined: Mar 3 2009, 02:11 PM

Jan 30 2018, 01:00 PM #1713

I think we needed a healing, to our collective wound. Johnny Dowd is not Mark E Smith, but he shares some of the same qualities, the opposite of the bland, the throwaway, and the forgettable. Uncompromisingly brilliant and charismatic, with his shock of grey hair, he spun his twangy web and had you fixed, but that's not to say there is no humour, a bit of a Tom Jones sing-along ensued (It's Not Unusual). He is in Wales tonight. (Sheffield and Leeds after ... go!) It built and built, at times it was trance like. Being Fall yobs, we drank in the pub for a couple hours beforehand, and raised out glasses to Mark E Smith, those beers went down at break neck speed, so when we arrived, we were not in the seats, but on 'the terraces', very respectful throughout though, but a bit gobby for the encore, or to get the encore. 

You always regret the things you don't do, Mrs Marshall and I laughed about how we found J Dowd, old enough to be our father, so attractive. We looked at him on the merch stall, I said I wanted to stroke his face, but he might have found that a bit odd, so in a 'it's now or never' moment I busted through the crowd and said 'We have to go Johnny, but before we do, I want to give you a kiss', he laughed and said 'A kiss?', and gave me his cheek, without hesitation. 

The venue was charming, as was the company. Positively crackling. I'm going to relive that night for sometime.
My brain is the most complex thing in the Universe. Hiccup said so.

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

'false bravado won't hide the cracks'
Quote
Share

Philh
Member
Joined: Sep 7 2006, 10:38 PM

Feb 2 2018, 01:06 AM #1714

First gig of the year. A freezing cold Manchester Albert Hall was the wrongest of venues For an acoustic set by Jeff Tweedy. The Village Hall fold up seats didn’t help either. Underwhelming.

Incidentally, I think I’m doing reasonably well since last Wednesday, but I bloody well found myself staring at the empty stage before Tweedy came on and imagining Smith walking out there. 

Ah well, onwards and upwards. Brudenell tomorrow night.
He was the best man I never met.
Quote
Share

exiledmanc
Member
Joined: Oct 11 2005, 11:04 PM

Feb 4 2018, 08:59 PM #1715

Dead Boys- Sheffield last thursday. Totally brilliant. 40 minute set including all the 1st album plus 3 from the 2nd. They could have done a few more from the 2nd one and £22 was a bit steep but definitely worth it. I doubted I'd see a better gig all year.
I was wrong- Dead Boys- Newcastle last night. My first visit to the Riverside, great venue. I arrived at 8.50 just in time to see them walk on stage. Even better than Sheffield. See them if you get the chance.
Quote
Share

Joined: Mar 11 2010, 11:22 AM

Feb 16 2018, 06:20 PM #1716

Enjoyed Johnny Dowd but got off to a bad start by going to the wrong venue which caused a fight with my son.

Then we got stuck next to some really noisy drunks. Couldn't imagine who they were.
Quote
Share

Head Gardener
Member
Joined: Aug 9 2005, 09:06 PM

Feb 27 2018, 11:03 PM #1717

Rickie Lee Jones - Leamington Spa 








Quote
Share

Joseph Holt
Member
Joined: May 19 2003, 10:32 AM

Apr 10 2018, 05:29 PM #1718

Lightning Bolt at the Grog Shop in Cleveland - bloody brilliant.

The Metal East/ Over the River and Through the Woods/ Mega Ghost/ ??/ Horsepower/ Colossus/ ??/ Dead Cowboy

My significant other looked around the crowd and was able to confirm that she was the only person also at the Pink concert in Cleveland the night before! 
Last edited by Joseph Holt on Apr 11 2018, 12:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Share

Drjohnrock
Member
Joined: Sep 6 2003, 02:23 AM

Apr 11 2018, 01:14 AM #1719

Joseph Holt wrote:

My significant other looked around the crowd and was able to confirm that she was the only person also at the Pink concert in Cleveland the night before! 
  I can relate.  I was the only person to see both a double bill of Supersuckers/Drivin N Cryin' and then Karla Bonoff eight days later.  The latter was a good choice for date night with Mrs. Drjohnrock.  
What does tapatalk have in common with Donald Trump? They both suck.
Quote
Share

Joseph Holt
Member
Joined: May 19 2003, 10:32 AM

Apr 11 2018, 04:28 PM #1720

Drjohnrock wrote:
Joseph Holt wrote:

My significant other looked around the crowd and was able to confirm that she was the only person also at the Pink concert in Cleveland the night before! 
  I can relate.  I was the only person to see both a double bill of Supersuckers/Drivin N Cryin' and then Karla Bonoff eight days later.  The latter was a good choice for date night with Mrs. Drjohnrock.  
Yeah - when it comes to gigs we do the quid pro quo thing pretty often - I was at Phillip Phillips(!) with her last night. There are some boundaries though - for her own sanity I dissuaded her from seeing Sunno))) last year and there was no way in hell I was going to drop $100+ to see Pink. She went with a bunch of mates anyway. 
Quote
Share

the fell
Member
Joined: Jul 2 2010, 09:33 PM

Apr 13 2018, 01:10 AM #1721

The Residents last night- great show, if you're a fan ( even if you're not ) check them out- they were on fire! The last album seems to have re- energized them, and the plague masks and cow suit were apt for a suitably hellish and entertaining affair.
()
Nonsense is better than no sense at all- NMN
Quote
Share

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: Dec 6 2003, 05:56 AM

Apr 13 2018, 09:31 PM #1722

I saw Jen Cloher a couple of weeks ago.
Courtney Barnett on guitar.
Great old school stuff.
Reminded me of the new York punk stuff

hey ho

Quote
Share

Bombast
Member
Joined: Sep 9 2004, 02:01 PM

Apr 16 2018, 06:24 AM #1723

    Saw Go Kart Mozart at Hebden bridge at Saturday. Great venue and band were shit hot. Lawrence looked better than when I last saw them play a few years back and had some interaction with the audience. 
Quote
Share

DeusErac
Member
Joined: Jun 21 2007, 01:24 PM

Apr 18 2018, 02:37 AM #1724

The Residents
Old Town School of Folk Music, Chicago





Great show. Very hard, very dark, interestingly bleak set list. I am getting up early tomorrow to drive to Des Moines, but will post a bit more of a review when I am next at a computer.
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com
Quote
Share

scratch
Member
Joined: Jun 23 2004, 05:58 PM

Apr 18 2018, 02:48 PM #1725

DeusErac wrote: The Residents
Old Town School of Folk Music, Chicago





Great show. Very hard, very dark, interestingly bleak set list. I am getting up early tomorrow to drive to Des Moines, but will post a bit more of a review when I am next at a computer.
Cool photos.  Looking forward to the review.  The words "hard", "dark" and "bleak" made my ears prick up.  
Quote
Share