What's in ya CD playa? (Non-Fall)

Jim Kidder

Mar 10 2018, 04:52 PM #32851

scratch wrote: ^^^^ Ha ha!  You got me good.  Sometimes I can be so stupid...I was totally trying to figure out where that postcard came from, and my wife was like, "Couldn't it be that guy from the Fall site?" but I was so caught up in the scooby doo-ness of it that I was like, "No, No...let me think, woman!"

Hilarious, you totally got me.

In related news: New Orleans was so cool that I took that sweet bonus I got from work this morning and turned it into a trip back to New Orleans for me, my son, and wife two weeks from now.  We literally sat here all night watching New Orleans music on youtube, until I insisted we go to the Waffle House down the street, where they had not one, but two security guards on duty, so you know that place has seen some shit.  I got a flavorless meat thing.  It was good
I thought the postmark would be a dead giveaway.  

Nothing says Big Easy like a late nite jaunt to a sketchy Waffle House in Central Ohio!   When you get back down to NOLA, make sure you pop in to see "Big Bob" and Elayne down at the Chi-Wa-Wa.  She looks kinda like Gregg Allman did when he was married to Cher, 'cept with tits.  Transgender power!  

Anyways, dey be waiting for ya!
becoming more maladjusted by the minute

Jim Kidder

Mar 10 2018, 05:35 PM #32852

Jim Kidder

Mar 11 2018, 01:56 AM #32853

Jim Kidder

Mar 11 2018, 04:02 PM #32854

Watched a Beach Boys documentary ("The Beach Boys: An American Band") on cable TV last nite. That was followed by the 2016 Dan Rather interview of Mike Love. 
So naturally, my Beach Boys CDs get pulled out ...

Orphistic

Mar 11 2018, 07:34 PM #32855

New GWAR album and some 80s Ramones.
Hot dog buns every Friday,
Shombalor

Free Music of Mine

Jim Kidder

Mar 12 2018, 03:53 AM #32856

Jim Kidder

Mar 12 2018, 01:55 PM #32857

this morning it'll be "Eat a Peach" by the Allman Brothers, the double LP they released a few months after Duane's death

scratch

Mar 12 2018, 04:26 PM #32858

Weasels - Zappa 

Mar 12 2018, 04:40 PM #32859

Not heard it for maybe 30 years. Really good.

We saw him doing this at the Moonlight Club in Hampstead, just him, a microphone, and a tape recorder, all on a little stage.
"... a shiftless person, roving and magotie-headed, and sometimes little better than crased."

scratch

Mar 12 2018, 09:58 PM #32860

This arrived in the mail and I've just popped it in the player.  It's described like this on the website: "Shingles was a double tape pressed up for The Rebel’s US tour in the fall of 2014. Clocking in at well over 2 hours this is Ben Wallers at his weirdest, rawest, and most haunting. Soundscapes, cover songs, bits of melodies, and radio tapings blend together to infect you too with Shingles. "

Sounding pretty bonkers so far.

I also got The Rebel's Five Year Plan and KROT eps and a best of comp from his Poems with Water Trilogy.

Jim Kidder

Mar 13 2018, 11:51 AM #32861

Little Feat for the aching feet

Jim Kidder

Mar 13 2018, 01:04 PM #32862

When I saw the B.O.C.the last time they came thru Austin, they played "The Vigil" off this LP, so here you go:

Mar 13 2018, 05:34 PM #32863

Aubrey The Cat wrote:

We saw him doing this at the Moonlight Club in Hampstead, just him, a microphone, and a tape recorder, all on a little stage.
This again.

It now seems remarkably prescient, apart from the Dictator of Europe called Richard Strange bit.
"... a shiftless person, roving and magotie-headed, and sometimes little better than crased."

scratch

Mar 13 2018, 08:54 PM #32864

scratch

Mar 13 2018, 11:18 PM #32865

Jim Kidder wrote:

When I saw the B.O.C.the last time they came thru Austin, they played "The Vigil" off this LP, so here you go:

I didn't know that song.  Pretty dope upon first listen.  Seemed like it could be really good if done right live.

scratch

Mar 13 2018, 11:20 PM #32866

Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:

This again.

It now seems remarkably prescient, apart from the Dictator of Europe called Richard Strange bit.
I've got this on now.  Admittedly, it is semi in the background, but I'm liking what I'm hearing.  He's not familiar to me, but from what I'm reading online I'm learning that he should have been.  Is this the place to start for him, or should I try something else after this?  

Jim Kidder

Mar 14 2018, 12:22 AM #32867

Jim Kidder

Mar 14 2018, 12:25 AM #32868

scratch wrote:
Jim Kidder wrote:

I didn't know that song.  Pretty dope upon first listen.  Seemed like it could be really good if done right live.
It was!

requiredfield

Mar 14 2018, 03:39 AM #32869

Jim Kidder wrote:
scratch wrote:
Jim Kidder wrote:

It was!
I'm a long time BOC fan. Mirrors never had good press but I still like it on the right day. BOC albums are generally patchy affairs but enjoyable nonetheless. I recently picked up S/T>>Fire of Unknown Origin on vinyl recently. Really enjoyed revisiting them all.

"the mind is its own place and in itself can make a heaven of hell a hell of heaven"

Jim Kidder

Mar 14 2018, 03:56 AM #32870

requiredfield wrote:
Jim Kidder wrote:
scratch wrote:
Jim Kidder wrote:

It was!
I'm a long time BOC fan. Mirrors never had good press but I still like it on the right day. BOC albums are generally patchy affairs but enjoyable nonetheless. I recently picked up S/T>>Fire of Unknown Origin on vinyl recently. Really enjoyed revisiting them all.
I first saw them when I was 15 or 16 and they made a big impression on me.  They're a band I keep coming back to after all these years.    

requiredfield

Mar 14 2018, 04:57 AM #32871

Jim Kidder wrote:
requiredfield wrote:
Jim Kidder wrote:
scratch wrote:
Jim Kidder wrote: When I saw the B.O.C.the last time they came thru Austin, they played "The Vigil" off this LP, so here you go:
It was!
I first saw them when I was 15 or 16 and they made a big impression on me.  They're a band I keep coming back to after all these years.    
Same here. I received Fire of unknown Origin as a Christmas present the year it was released when I was 17 but was already a fan prior to that. I've been enjoying the often  Spectres recently; especially tracks The Golden Age of Leather and I Love the Night. Wish I'd seem them live and hear the quality of their live sound was terrific. 
"the mind is its own place and in itself can make a heaven of hell a hell of heaven"

Mar 14 2018, 07:22 AM #32872

Aubrey The Cat wrote:

used to have this. no idea what happened to my copy...and can't remember much about it beyond 'international language'. great song. 

Mar 14 2018, 09:32 AM #32873

scratch wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:

This again.

I've got this on now.  Admittedly, it is semi in the background, but I'm liking what I'm hearing.  He's not familiar to me, but from what I'm reading online I'm learning that he should have been.  Is this the place to start for him, or should I try something else after this?  
I don't know much of what he did later, but before this he was in the Doctors of Madness, who have just had a 3cd retrospective released, for £15 (or it was that when I got it anyway): they were a kind of of proto-punk glam/prog group, who I used to see a lot in 1976/7.

He's reformed the group - with different bass and drums, and I'm going to see them in about 10 days. I'm a bit apprehensive; I really loved those concerts in the 70s... you knowe how the rest of that sentence goes, don't you? I don't want to put in into words.

Jim Kidder

Mar 14 2018, 07:30 PM #32874

DeusErac

Mar 15 2018, 02:51 AM #32875

Ministry's new "AmeriKKKant."

Fuckin' A, does Uncle Al know how to make a killer political record. Scratching, strings, samples, screaming riffs, insightful lyrics, the whole nine yards of goodness.

All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com