Wakefield Unity Works

Wakefield Unity Works

Dolb
Member
Dolb
Member
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 17:34

20 Oct 2017, 23:09 #1

Wheelchair, arm in a sling, face still swollen but still delivered a decent set although the last 20 mins were delivered of stage.
It was no matter of small consequence.
Reply

Dolb
Member
Dolb
Member
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 17:34

20 Oct 2017, 23:13 #2

Wolf
Over Over
fall sound
Fol De Rol
Blindness/Brillo
Reese Sticks
First one
Dedication
2nd house
New facts
2014
Bury
It was no matter of small consequence.
Reply

kiespijn
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2004, 19:08

20 Oct 2017, 23:52 #3

So much to say, but only a moment to feel - it's only rock'n'roll after all.
God bless Gujar Wines.
Walk back two, three and four
Stop for a rest
Go back to scratch
Reply

Philh
Member
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 22:38

20 Oct 2017, 23:56 #4

Heroic stuff. A decent gig. Don’t know what else to say.
He was the best man I never met.
Reply

chrisgoodhead
Member
Joined: 31 Oct 2003, 09:14

21 Oct 2017, 00:31 #5

Mark E Smith has bucked convention all his life. Illness, disability and the ridiculous rock and roll / cultural convention that performance is for the young, fit, smooth and palatable is not going to stop him. Heroic is the word. Inspirational. We need more like him.

That said, on a Fall 1 - 10 scale it was about a 7. Nothing new, nothing really, really took off and the audience were a bit flat on the whole.

Keep it up, Mr Smith. Balls of fucking steel.
It is idle to think that things in this life will last for ever in one state.
Reply

kiespijn
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2004, 19:08

21 Oct 2017, 00:39 #6

Noone could be prepared, and the reflex of nervous laughter throughout the first two, three songs said it all. Fuck them. If they only opened their ears it was manna from heaven, as some people say.
Walk back two, three and four
Stop for a rest
Go back to scratch
Reply

kiespijn
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2004, 19:08

21 Oct 2017, 00:40 #7

Or a cheeseburger in the grip of hurricane Bryan. Embrace.
Walk back two, three and four
Stop for a rest
Go back to scratch
Reply

Ersatz JP
Member
Joined: 08 Jun 2013, 22:57

21 Oct 2017, 07:37 #8

Well, I'm a little surprised at how little has been written here, so I'll have a go.

A bit of context, I've lurked around, but as a 51 year-old-man I'm a reluctant engager with technology. As a Fall fan, I rediscovered them at holmfirth, probably around 2004, was completely blown away, especially by the first gig there, and have seen them at least once a year, every year since, at Yorkshire shows I Holmfirth, Leeds, Sheffield, York and Wakefield. Best moment, a Blindness at the Brudenell, after which the bloke next to me said "I don't need an encore after that." He was right.

I thought the last concert I went to, Leeds, the one with the comedian as the support act, was, sadly, rather boring, and my interest was waning. I haven't bought the latest album.

And I was ambivalent about going last night. The gig in Leeds playing on my mind and having read posts on here, sensing there may be a bit of unnecessary rubbernecking at the current situation. In the curiousity and my wife wanting to go out took me there, there were plenty of tickets available. I'm glad I went.

We got in around quarter to ten - just as they were playing Cruiser's Creek, I wasn't there to hear the records, it seemed a little odd - and The Fall came on at about five past ten. The band came on first, as ever. And then Mark rose up from the front of the stage. It was rather disconcerting and disorientating, trying to work out what was happening. He was in a wheel chair. My view was that he was being pushed up a ramp, by a woman I assume was Pamela, in a sparkly jacket.

It felt a bit like there was a sharp intake of breath. A collective, unspoken sense of shock and perhaps sadness. And a sense of what's going to happen now, am I going to witness something I'd rather not have seen. And once he'd been positioned, it was straight into Wolf Kidult Man. And it was OK. He had two microphones. The audience now seemed to be holding its breath. Willing him on. It was different, it seemed defiant, perhaps bloody minded.

The next two songs were Over, Over and Fallsound. I'm not one for setlists and knowing everything they've played at recent concerts. For me, I interpretted the choices as deliberate and valedictory. It added to the surreal sense of the night, I can't have been the only person wondering whether this was the last gig I am going to see. They were sung clearly and confidently. Throughout the evening I felt his body might be letting him down, but in consequence his voice was stronger. I got more words!

Next came Fol de Rol and the start of songs I didn't know, but which I enjoyed. I shall get the new album. They were played with energy and vigour; the band were all entirely committed and supportive. And there was Blindness, with it's driving power and energy, and possibly, for me, a bit of a yardstick for the evening. It was good, I was happy, but it never quite took off in the relentless, thumping, transcendental way it sometimes does. And for me, I think that was the measure of the evening.

As a concert I've seen a lot worse. This wasn't an ordinary concert. I think the last time I saw them in Wakefield, at Warehouse 21, there was a chair an stage and Mark was sitting down at times, but this was different. Here he was stationary, trapped in the chair, and I missed the prowling around the stage, the menace and threat and unpredictability of the tampering. And Pete and Dave at times seemed isolated. The group were together on the same stage, they were together in each song, but overall, Mark wasn't there as a force to unite them in quite the same way. last night, perhaps, they were looking after him, and that changed the dynamic a little.

After around 40 minutes mark left the stage. He walked down the steps on the right hand side and then his chair was passed down. He didn't return, but he was there, continuing to sing from the sideline. For me that worked, it was business as usual. And it was perfectly understandable that he didn't go through all the hassle of getting back on stage. They played a lot more. Pamela came on and whispered instructions. In the end it was about an hour and ten minutes. the final song was a rousing Bury, and again, Pamela was on stage and singing and goingdown to the audience. That too was fine, things continue to evolve. No encore. I found I didn't miss Sparta or White Lightning or Mr Pharmacist, I'd been more than satisfied by the evening.

As Philh, a voice on here I like and respect said, "a decent gig". For what it's worth, I thought Mark seemed happy, maybe relieved to be back on stage. My wife enjoyed it a lot, much more than a York gig she came along to, to find out what I was always going on about.

I'll be keeping my eye open for the next time they play Yorkshire.
Reply

johncoan
Member
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 23:12

21 Oct 2017, 08:27 #9

Great. Thanks, JP.
be-boxed focken clown
Reply

Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 19:22

21 Oct 2017, 08:37 #10

Yes thanks JP. Not many reviews... bit surprising
Reply

Philh
Member
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 22:38

21 Oct 2017, 08:50 #11

A fine review. Appreciated.
He was the best man I never met.
Reply

mutatedpony
Member
Joined: 24 Jan 2005, 19:16

21 Oct 2017, 09:01 #12

Great second post JP, thanks. And I thought I was a lurker.

Regardless of the seriousness of his current health condition (it looks bad but I don't think any of us really know), I see him as cut from the same cloth as Lemmy, Jerry Lee Lewis and BB King. If he can still practically get up on stage he's going to do it. Financial necessity is probably neither here nor there. He'd be doing it anyway.
Reply

Philh
Member
Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 22:38

21 Oct 2017, 09:09 #13

mutatedpony @ Oct 21 2017, 09:01 AM wrote: If he can still practically get up on stage he's going to do it.
100% agree with this.
He was the best man I never met.
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

21 Oct 2017, 09:11 #14

I was in the bar when from behind a voice greeted me - it was an old colleague/friend from years ago, who was meeting up with someone else I know. He said he wondered if I'd be there. So that was unexpectedly nice. They hadn't seen The Fall since the last Sheffield gig, so years ago. I brought them up to date.

And they enjoyed it, despite not being familiar with any of the songs. They commented that the group was really good.

There was some kind of ramp at the front of the stage, and MES was delivered up to the stage that way. As has been said, they came on just after 10pm - not so much of the tension-building as you sometimes get, and MES lasted on stage until about 10:45pm. He then got Keiron to help him off the side of the stage, where he stayed - singing - for the rest of the gig. I heard fewer of his vocals on Bury, which was the last song.

His voice was strong - I thought his vocals were really good throughout, seemed in control. I guess it helps being sat down.

So yeah, a good gig. Not terrible at all, not brilliant.

I find MES's inverse physicality compelling in many ways - it interests me, but I think there was some shock in the audience too, and I think some people will have a been a bit freaked out by MES in the wheelchair, especially if they weren't aware of his recent health problems. I see some comments around that some felt it was a freakshow. And so I think that may have dampened the atmosphere a bit, as of course MES leaving the stage tends to do as well.

MES himself seemed in relatively good spirits.

What was played? Hard to remember now. But: Blindness (I agree with the comment above that it didn't take off, but it was fine); Over! Over!; Bury!; Fol de Rol; Fall Sound... er, I'll have another think later after Saturday morning chores. It was a late night.

Pamela did some vocals on Bury!, and did some giving of microphone to front row.

I don't know why people have to be such dicks in the mosh pit.

And I liked the venue. And I didn't have to use my earplugs. And the bar staff were lovely. And I found my car park in the end.

Dan
Reply

Joined: 16 Jun 2004, 20:29

21 Oct 2017, 09:44 #15

Top gig. Mr Smith is a complete legend and we're lucky to have him. What a work ethic!

Support band weren't too bad: not really my cup of tea, but relatively inoffensive. They did one song about 2/3rd of the way through their set that I really liked.

Highlights of the The Fall's set were Fol de Rol, New Facts Emerge, Dedication and Reese Sticks. I've not heard the latter before, though I've seen it on recent set lists. Is it newish? It sounded great and I thought had MES's most effective vocals of the evening. Blindness wasn't as good as it used to be. It must be about 13 years old now so has no business being in the set anymore. Auto-chip is one of my all-time favourites, but didn't dig it as much as usual. Don't know why. Everything else excellent!

Hoping MES makes a full recovery! I've got nothing but total admiration for him for getting back up on stage and carrying on.
Use your wheels - it is what they are for.
Reply

Mr. Marshall
Member
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 13:48

21 Oct 2017, 09:55 #16

:o

Big Chief Mango Chutney!!
Howdy to you

Got a light?
Reply

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: 06 Dec 2003, 05:56

21 Oct 2017, 10:05 #17

Jason king.
Blimey. Strange times. Welcome back
Reply

Joined: 16 Jun 2004, 20:29

21 Oct 2017, 10:30 #18

Thanks. Nice to be back! I don't get to see The Fall much these days due to family commitments and a wife who – how can I put this? – has yet to fully appreciate the finer multi-dimensional facets of our favourite band. A rare treat!
Use your wheels - it is what they are for.
Reply

Pott
Member
Pott
Member
Joined: 21 Sep 2006, 13:48

21 Oct 2017, 10:32 #19

It was great to finally meet up with FoF members Starsky and Hiccup. I had a few others pointed out, but didn't get the chance to talk with them.
I'm not that type of wanker.
Reply

Joined: 21 Feb 2010, 22:02

21 Oct 2017, 10:40 #20

A view of the night from MES himself, via the promoter:

Re. Piskie Sits, the support, "These lads are good, they can play as long as they like"

Re. Wakefield in general, and I'm going to paraphrase here because I could only make out every other word or so, "There was no way I wasn't going to do the Wakefield gig if I could...I like Wakefield...it's been good to us for years"
"Some of those youths were so poor, they couldn't even afford t' get their fringes cut"
Reply

A Worried Man
Member
Joined: 08 Oct 2005, 23:48

21 Oct 2017, 10:47 #21

a human-sized mass of bees that absorbed the soul of a Nazi
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

21 Oct 2017, 13:51 #22

Pamela has commented on the gig, on the reaction to MES and the reaction to her, on her instagram page. I've quoted it over on the discussion thread.

The Forum gets the blame from one commenter, but it seems to be a social media thing rather than here.

Dan
Reply

stevoid
Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2003, 20:08

21 Oct 2017, 14:25 #23

Ersatz JP @ Oct 21 2017, 07:37 PM wrote: Well, I'm a little surprised at how little has been written here, so I'll have a go.

A bit of context, I've lurked around, but as a 51 year-old-man I'm a reluctant engager with technology. As a Fall fan, I rediscovered them at holmfirth, probably around 2004, was completely blown away, especially by the first gig there, and have seen them at least once a year, every year since, at Yorkshire shows I Holmfirth, Leeds, Sheffield, York and Wakefield. Best moment, a Blindness at the Brudenell, after which the bloke next to me said "I don't need an encore after that." He was right.

I thought the last concert I went to, Leeds, the one with the comedian as the support act, was, sadly, rather boring, and my interest was waning. I haven't bought the latest album.

And I was ambivalent about going last night. The gig in Leeds playing on my mind and having read posts on here, sensing there may be a bit of unnecessary rubbernecking at the current situation. In the curiousity and my wife wanting to go out took me there, there were plenty of tickets available. I'm glad I went.

We got in around quarter to ten - just as they were playing Cruiser's Creek, I wasn't there to hear the records, it seemed a little odd - and The Fall came on at about five past ten. The band came on first, as ever. And then Mark rose up from the front of the stage. It was rather disconcerting and disorientating, trying to work out what was happening. He was in a wheel chair. My view was that he was being pushed up a ramp, by a woman I assume was Pamela, in a sparkly jacket.

It felt a bit like there was a sharp intake of breath. A collective, unspoken sense of shock and perhaps sadness. And a sense of what's going to happen now, am I going to witness something I'd rather not have seen. And once he'd been positioned, it was straight into Wolf Kidult Man. And it was OK. He had two microphones. The audience now seemed to be holding its breath. Willing him on. It was different, it seemed defiant, perhaps bloody minded.

The next two songs were Over, Over and Fallsound. I'm not one for setlists and knowing everything they've played at recent concerts. For me, I interpretted the choices as deliberate and valedictory. It added to the surreal sense of the night, I can't have been the only person wondering whether this was the last gig I am going to see. They were sung clearly and confidently. Throughout the evening I felt his body might be letting him down, but in consequence his voice was stronger. I got more words!

Next came Fol de Rol and the start of songs I didn't know, but which I enjoyed. I shall get the new album. They were played with energy and vigour; the band were all entirely committed and supportive. And there was Blindness, with it's driving power and energy, and possibly, for me, a bit of a yardstick for the evening. It was good, I was happy, but it never quite took off in the relentless, thumping, transcendental way it sometimes does. And for me, I think that was the measure of the evening.

As a concert I've seen a lot worse. This wasn't an ordinary concert. I think the last time I saw them in Wakefield, at Warehouse 21, there was a chair an stage and Mark was sitting down at times, but this was different. Here he was stationary, trapped in the chair, and I missed the prowling around the stage, the menace and threat and unpredictability of the tampering. And Pete and Dave at times seemed isolated. The group were together on the same stage, they were together in each song, but overall, Mark wasn't there as a force to unite them in quite the same way. last night, perhaps, they were looking after him, and that changed the dynamic a little.

After around 40 minutes mark left the stage. He walked down the steps on the right hand side and then his chair was passed down. He didn't return, but he was there, continuing to sing from the sideline. For me that worked, it was business as usual. And it was perfectly understandable that he didn't go through all the hassle of getting back on stage. They played a lot more. Pamela came on and whispered instructions. In the end it was about an hour and ten minutes. the final song was a rousing Bury, and again, Pamela was on stage and singing and goingdown to the audience. That too was fine, things continue to evolve. No encore. I found I didn't miss Sparta or White Lightning or Mr Pharmacist, I'd been more than satisfied by the evening.

As Philh, a voice on here I like and respect said, "a decent gig". For what it's worth, I thought Mark seemed happy, maybe relieved to be back on stage. My wife enjoyed it a lot, much more than a York gig she came along to, to find out what I was always going on about.

I'll be keeping my eye open for the next time they play Yorkshire.
Great review EJP though got a bit of a shock when I misread "Pamela was on stage and singing and going down to the audience".
Reply

Pott
Member
Pott
Member
Joined: 21 Sep 2006, 13:48

21 Oct 2017, 14:47 #24

Andrew Therein @ Oct 21 2017, 11:40 AM wrote: A view of the night from MES himself, via the promoter:

Re. Piskie Sits, the support, "These lads are good, they can play as long as they like"

Re. Wakefield in general, and I'm going to paraphrase here because I could only make out every other word or so, "There was no way I wasn't going to do the Wakefield gig if I could...I like Wakefield...it's been good to us for years"
Seen them 3 times in Wakefield, every gig excellent.

Balne Lane WMC - 2010
Warehouse23 - 2015
Unity Works - 2017
I'm not that type of wanker.
Reply

ocelot
Member
ocelot
Member
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 01:58

21 Oct 2017, 16:06 #25


A picture from a friend who attended.
Reply