So, did The Fall blow it on national TV ?

Jun 14 2005, 04:24 PM #26

I'm from Salford, Baby @ Jun 14 2005, 09:14 AM wrote: Maybe too many people are judging them on the strenghs they've shown in recent live performances?
It was good ramshackle TV and a million times more original than any of Jool's other guests - Isent that enough?
Yes, I suppose if they'd been really great on Later, the next album would sell 8,412 copies instead of 7,862.

Stranger

Jun 15 2005, 12:09 AM #27

Steve Local @ May 24 2005, 10:11 PM wrote: Definitely a missed opportunity, and for one reason only - I thought Mark looked really nervous. Maybe it was a trick of the light... but the usual commanding presence simply wasn't there. It was wonderful to see a performance like that on mainstream telly though - you can just imagine all the Robert Plant fans round the country wondering what the hell was going on.

My guess is that the reason for the poor vocal sound was that MES must have managed to piss the sound man off during soundcheck - it was really badly mixed, and that sort of thing (esp. in a BBC studio where, if nothing else, the technicians are usually excellent) can only be deliberate on the part of whoever's behind the desk.
Yet another person saying MES looked nervous. I did not notice this when I watched this, but yes, I have noted comments from others about MES' stage nerves (and comments from the band too on this subject) elsewhere, so fair comment.

As for the sound...I thought the sound was great for the band, but poor for MES' vocals. I didn't know what to put that down to...but yes (again), pissing off the soundman - quite possible knowing MES, and an interesting theory.
celebrate the music of The Fall, forget the differences!
The stereo Radio Lancs Clitheroe '85 recording...on an official LP from the master tape, please...!
Sheffield Sound City 93 on LP, Nottingham 1987, Glastonbury 2015...too!
the more the merrier...
DON'T BUY VEGETABLES WRAPPED IN PLASTIC...

fallfandave
fallfandave

Jun 17 2005, 07:05 PM #28

MES used to look nervous in the fuckin 80s...it ain't anything new... in fact I'd say he's more chilled-out lookin these days, on average.

it's like a twitchy nervousness.. it aint a bad thing ... he's still confident.

Vvillager

Jun 17 2005, 08:17 PM #29

I can't accept that he was all that nervous. I think that it takes a strong will to go keyboard twiddling like he did, and he looked very assured while arranging the walk-off note.
I stand on one leg at the top of the street.

fallfandave
fallfandave

Jun 17 2005, 08:48 PM #30

Vvillager @ Jun 17 2005, 08:17 PM wrote: I can't accept that he was all that nervous. I think that it takes a strong will to go keyboard twiddling like he did, and he looked very assured while arranging the walk-off note.
exactly - they r all U2 fans these ppl -

FALL SABOTEURS :beer:

The Eccles Connection
The Eccles Connection

Jun 17 2005, 09:53 PM #31

for Christs sake he looked like Mark Edward Smith forced into a room with a bunch of wanker musoes and I thought he coped remarkably well with the formulaic bollocks

Stranger - another incoherent post! - stop and think before you write something please....this isnt a Bowie website....

ps bad news about the overdose...

fallfandave
fallfandave

Jun 17 2005, 10:05 PM #32

well some of it was staged of course - ie the waving , n mark aint an actor [no daleks plz]... but it was pretty funny... n the first time i've seen a band take the piss out of the show...

it's just what u need.... anybody remember how jools used to take the piss on the tube ?- he's a different personality now...

just tries to make all the acts into self -proved definitive acts [ok they might well be an eclectic bunch]... but jools presents it like everyone is so so brill...

but with jools' presentation of The Fall - a bit of the real jools came out, and he was resorting to tube era subtle cheekiness n none of this 'we have another class act onthe show tonight...bollocks.

i loved it :beer:

generalist

Jun 17 2005, 10:43 PM #33

i can hear that fuckin coldplay are on jools h tonight. thank god i am in a different room to the telly... it is just a distant annoyance.... like a buzzin fly....
Distinguished
Picking crumbs off the floor
Sophisticated

The Eccles Connection
The Eccles Connection

Jun 17 2005, 11:32 PM #34

carbohydates and diamond eyes

listen to me

Jun 17 2005, 11:32 PM #35

Yeah, but The Magic Numbers RULE!!

:)
I've woken up to Fall Sound. Have you?

The Eccles Connection
The Eccles Connection

Jun 17 2005, 11:34 PM #36

chester drawers...vascular sap...cannock chase

cupid's bullet
cupid's bullet

Jun 18 2005, 05:36 AM #37

fallfandave @ Jun 17 2005, 11:05 PM wrote:well some of it was staged of course - ie the waving , n mark aint an actor [no daleks plz]... but it was pretty funny... n the first time i've seen a band take the piss out of the show...

it's just what u need.... anybody remember how jools used to take the piss on the tube ?- he's  a different personality now...

just tries to make all the acts into self -proved definitive acts [ok they might well be an eclectic bunch]... but jools presents it like everyone is so so brill...

but with jools' presentation of The Fall - a bit of the real jools came out, and he was resorting to tube era subtle cheekiness n none of this 'we have another class act onthe show tonight...bollocks.

i loved it  :beer:
Agreed. But if you cast your mind back to the not-too-distant past, I'd go with Jools' fake ' Aren't musicians fun and groovy ' bonhomerie over anything else like it. There ain't a better alternative - if there is, someone please tell us! :o

Vvillager

Jun 18 2005, 10:05 AM #38

Another reason that I don't think that MES was all that nervous was that he was evidently calling Plant 'cunty', and everybody was fed up with The Go Team screwing up. I think that this gives us a better insight into MES's thoughts and feelings on the night.
I stand on one leg at the top of the street.

dannyno
dannyno

Mar 12 2018, 07:49 AM #39

Does anyone still have the clips that Mr Bending posted back in 2005?   

Dan