The Breeders - All Nerve

Mar 3 2018, 10:20 AM #1

New album, out yesterday.

Ive had 3 listens. I like it quite a bit, but feel it’ll definitely be a grower. It’s pretty slow and... grinding, but not in a dull way. It feels very cohesive, a proper ‘album’.

Think some might view it (as the bloke at The Quietus did) as a bit anticlimactic, not having a few more hooky pop tunes a la ‘Wait in the Car’.

I’m satisfied myself, and expect that satisfaction to grow over the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeusErac

Mar 3 2018, 10:38 PM #2

During my decade as a working music critic, I did a lot of "phoners" (interview via telephone), and the best one ever, hands down, in terms of a long, fun conversation was with Kim Deal during the last incarnation of Breeders:

https://jericsmith.com/1997/01/21/inter ... deal-1997/

I do not care for Pixies, at all, but I remain deeply impressed with Kim, and glad to hear her new project!!
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

dannyno
dannyno

Mar 4 2018, 08:47 AM #3

DeusErac wrote: During my decade as a working music critic, I did a lot of "phoners" (interview via telephone), and the best one ever, hands down, in terms of a long, fun conversation was with Kim Deal during the last incarnation of Breeders:

https://jericsmith.com/1997/01/21/inter ... deal-1997/

I do not care for Pixies, at all, but I remain deeply impressed with Kim, and glad to hear her new project!!
I loved Pixies through their original run, not been so interested in the post-reformation albums or in Frank Black/Black Francis' solo work (some of it is very good, some I don't like).   Kim Deal is mostly utterly brilliant, and always worth listening to.  Troubled at times, but fought her way back.  Total respect.

Dan 

dannyno
dannyno

Mar 4 2018, 08:50 AM #4

Good interview too!

Dan

DeusErac

Mar 4 2018, 01:03 PM #5

dannyno wrote: Good interview too!

Dan
Thank you!

Hard to believe it was over two decades ago that I did it . . . .

#old
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

requiredfield

Mar 9 2018, 03:04 AM #6

DeusErac wrote:
dannyno wrote: Good interview too!

Dan
Thank you!

Hard to believe it was over two decades ago that I did it . . . .

#old
Yes, excellent interview. I'm an unashamed Kim Deal/Breeders fanboy. The Breeders are a much more interesting band to me than the Pixies. I'm excited for the new album which is still on its way. I recently bought LSXX on vinyl and although not remastered it just sparkled and was like hearing it for the first time. Kim Deal has an extraordinary ear and pleased All Nerve is a Grower. I love Last Splash which was instantly enjoyable but Title TK, a grower, is just as important to me. The cover of Archangel's Thunderbird seems to be getting a mixed response. It's one of my favorite ADII songs.

Thanks for the review!
"the mind is its own place and in itself can make a heaven of hell a hell of heaven"

dannyno
dannyno

Mar 11 2018, 09:28 PM #7

I've been listening to All Nerve a bit today.   I prefer my Breeders a bit faster, and this album tends to the slower, but I'm enjoying it a lot anyway.

Dan