Swell Maps albums

I prefer:

Feb 18 2018, 08:35 PM #26

bzfgt wrote: Does anyone know the story with the various albums? Whatever Happens Next... and Wastrels and Whippersnappers are I think home recordings and demos? What is the story with Train Out of It, Collision Time, and International Rescue though?
No idea, sorry. I almost feel inadequate in admitting I have never really had much interest in anything other than the music. I took me two years to realise the first line-up of The Fall had changed and that was only because I noticed the names were different in the back of the records. It did explain the change of sound. Swell Maps were very cool back in the day, but only amongst a very small number of people. Even more so now. Mind you I do remember going into HMV in, I think, Bristol and their new single 'Let's Build a Car' was playing. I thought, that's that Swell Map's single, and nodded to myself.

bzfgt
bzfgt

Feb 18 2018, 09:13 PM #27

academichamilton wrote:
bzfgt wrote: Does anyone know the story with the various albums? Whatever Happens Next... and Wastrels and Whippersnappers are I think home recordings and demos? What is the story with Train Out of It, Collision Time, and International Rescue though?
No idea, sorry. I almost feel inadequate in admitting I have never really had much interest in anything other than the music. I took me two years to realise the first line-up of The Fall had changed and that was only because I noticed the names were different in the back of the records. It did explain the change of sound. Swell Maps were very cool back in the day, but only amongst a very small number of people. Even more so now. Mind you I do remember going into HMV in, I think, Bristol and their new single 'Let's Build a Car' was playing. I thought, that's that Swell Map's single, and nodded to myself.
Yeah it's tough to get strong intel, there's no wikipedia entries for any of them and discogs is the only place with their usual spotty information.

bzfgt
bzfgt

Feb 18 2018, 09:13 PM #28

I'm on a big Swell Maps kick at the moment and also listening to solo Nikki Sudden and Jacobites. Solo Epic Soundtracks is harder to get into, it's kind of like Elton John or something.

Feb 18 2018, 10:38 PM #29

Does Rip it up mention them?

sigma2

Feb 18 2018, 10:50 PM #30

bzfgt wrote: I'm on a big Swell Maps kick at the moment and also listening to solo Nikki Sudden and Jacobites. Solo Epic Soundtracks is harder to get into, it's kind of like Elton John or something.
I rather like Nikki Sudden's LP with Rowland Howard, also Epic Soundtrack's work with Crime & the City Solution, if that elusive Swell Maps/Australia zone appeals.
Elitist Ponce

Feb 18 2018, 11:16 PM #31

In the rather fine Alternative Rock compendium by Dave Thompson, it says that Whatever Happens Next (1981) is 
Truly magnificent compilation which follows Maps from start to finish via outtakes, rarities, a great Peel session, and more
He says Collision Time (1982) is the Maps' singles collection (US release was seven years later and called Collision Time Revisited).

International Rescue (1999) contains a couple of tracks that are not really the Maps - 'I Really Love You' and 'Get Down and Get with It' are from the 1980 Phones Sportsman Band single.

Don't know of the other two compilations you mention. The rest of entry in Alternative Rock is fairly lengthy and quite informative. 

I just noticed both Peel sessions are on Youtube in good sound quality.

bzfgt
bzfgt

Feb 19 2018, 01:04 AM #32

academichamilton wrote: Does Rip it up mention them?
Yes, I just read the section on them in that on Google books the other day.

DeusErac

Feb 19 2018, 01:10 AM #33

bzfgt wrote: I'm on a big Swell Maps kick at the moment and also listening to solo Nikki Sudden and Jacobites. Solo Epic Soundtracks is harder to get into, it's kind of like Elton John or something.
Do pursue Jowe Head, too. His "Diabolical Liberties" is one of my fave albums. I think I posted some other Maps related tips back in the other thread . . .
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

bzfgt
bzfgt

Feb 19 2018, 01:13 AM #34

academichamilton wrote:
In the rather fine Alternative Rock compendium by Dave Thompson, it says that Whatever Happens Next (1981) is 
Truly magnificent compilation which follows Maps from start to finish via outtakes, rarities, a great Peel session, and more
He says Collision Time (1982) is the Maps' singles collection (US release was seven years later and called Collision Time Revisited).

International Rescue (1999) contains a couple of tracks that are not really the Maps - 'I Really Love You' and 'Get Down and Get with It' are from the 1980 Phones Sportsman Band single.

Don't know of the other two compilations you mention. The rest of entry in Alternative Rock is fairly lengthy and quite informative. 

I just noticed both Peel sessions are on Youtube in good sound quality.
Train Out of It also has some stuff that's Head and Soundtracks, according to Head, although it's hard to know exactly what is what.

DeusErac

Feb 19 2018, 01:37 AM #35

Phones Sportsman's "Rock Man" single is fun too, if you can find it.

They were all interesting, talented dudes.
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

bzfgt
bzfgt

Mar 4 2018, 05:07 AM #36

"Blenheim Shots" is one of my favorites, but I can only make out about three words...

q89747
q89747

Mar 25 2018, 12:22 AM #37

The Gotobeds are a set of young smart-alecks from Pittsburgh. They are named of course for the guy from Wire, but they sound a lot more like Swell Maps to me.