Sub-Lingual Tablet

Sub-Lingual Tablet

Bert
Bert

25 Apr 2015, 11:05 #1

They're selling the CD version at the gigs at the moment, so couldn't resist picking up a copy of it earlier than the 'proper' release date.

My initial thoughts are that it seems the opposite to a lot of Fall albums in that it starts fairly weakly and gets better as it gets going. It didn't really grab me until Junger Cloth (track 5) but from then on, every track was a winner. Was really looking forward to hearing the studio version of Dedication, but was a bit disappointed with the version on here. There's some (probably wilfully) bad keyboards on it, and because I love the live versions I've heard over the past 6 months, a studio version just can't compete. Auto Chip is much better then the version on Uurop, which always sounded half baked to me. Even at just over 10 minutes, I still didn't want it to end. I can't swear to it, but I think the version of Facebook Troll is different to the Modselektion version, and much better. Or maybe it's just grown on me since I last listened to it.

I thought the bass sounded quite low in the mix, which is unusual. It'll be interesting to hear how the vinyl version compares.

I couldn't see another review in this section, so sorry if this has been done.

SonofAlways

25 Apr 2015, 19:27 #2

Since you have legitimately bought a copy, maybe you could type out the album's credits, if there are any, especially the songwriting ones?? :)
It's so good I would buy it as a cassette single

Bert
Bert

25 Apr 2015, 19:49 #3

OK - here goes:

Venice with the Girls (Smith/Spurr/Melling)
Black Roof (Smith/Barbato/Presley)
Dedication not Medication (Smith/Spurr)
First One Today (Smith/Poulou)
Junger Cloth (Smith/Spurr/Melling)
Stout Man (Pop/Williamson)
published by StraightJames Music/Bug Music
Auto Chip 2014-2016 (Smith/Poulou)
Pledge! (Smith)
Snazzy (Smith/Poulou)
Fibre Book Troll (Smith/Poulou/Spurr)
Quit IPhone (Smith/Spurr/Melling)

Bass: Dave Spurr
Guitar: Peter Greenway
Drums: Keiron Melling & Daren Garratt
Synths: Eleni Poulou
Vocals: Mark E Smith
All instruments on Track 2 Black Roof played, recorded and mixed by Rob Barbato & Tim Presley

Thanx: Hammonds/Lally/Taylor/Blaney/Barbato/Presley
Produced by: Mark E Smith
Engineered by: Ding
Mastered by: Andy Pearce
plus Kieron, E Poulou, Mat, Rob (CA)
published by: Minder Music Ltd
Artwork by: Ken Pearson & Charlie Pearson

CDBRED660

Bert
Bert

25 Apr 2015, 19:52 #4

The inlay is just one sheet - cover art one side, all that bumf on the other.

Despite knowing how haphazard writing credits normally are, I still thought it was odd that Greenway gets no songwriting credits. Can't imagine Auto Chip would be what it is without him. Oh well, what do I know?

SonofAlways

25 Apr 2015, 19:56 #5

Bert @ Apr 26 2015, 07:49 AM wrote: All instruments on Track 2 Black Roof played, recorded and mixed by Rob Barbato & Tim Presley
Wow! :applaud:

We are missing two Tim songs..

I see he's given credit to the Stooges for Stout Man despite changing the title.

And this must be the first Fall album where the guitarist has no writing credit!

rainmaster

25 Apr 2015, 20:02 #7

SonofAlways @ Apr 25 2015, 08:56 PM wrote:

And this must be the first Fall album where the guitarist has no writing credit!
Bit ominous? :unsure:
Grade A triple platinum cunt.

Bert
Bert

25 Apr 2015, 21:30 #8

Should've just done this in the first place, but hey ho.

DeusErac

25 Apr 2015, 21:46 #9

I don't know why, but it makes me happy that the relations with Presley and Barbato continue to be cordial enough that they can get a track on a new Fall album. Huttah!

I do know, though, that the re-titled Stooges song will be the one song on the new album that I listen to once and then never replay. Meh.
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

SonofAlways

25 Apr 2015, 21:51 #10

Thanks for the scans Bert!

Looks like someone's gone crazy with the fonts!! :cry:

Pills? Seems a bit obvious. And the cover doesn't really mesh with the rest of it...

johncoan

25 Apr 2015, 22:38 #11

Hexen hour @ Apr 26 2015, 08:00 AM wrote: On first impressions its piss poor
The first track is pretty good. And 'Snazzy' is OK - especially the cool old-style Fall rave-up it features in its last minute.

But the rest is poor.
be-boxed focken clown

Shrimper

25 Apr 2015, 23:03 #12

johncoan @ Apr 26 2015, 10:38 AM wrote:
The first track is pretty good. And 'Snazzy' is OK - especially the cool old-style Fall rave-up it features in its last minute.

But the rest is poor.
Why?
'He's absolutely fucking crackers'
johncoan

johncoan

25 Apr 2015, 23:14 #13

If you like the last couple of Fall LPs then you won't be disappointed.

If you want a bit more than Smith gargling over lacklustre riffing and tinkling then I wouldn't bother.
be-boxed focken clown

Shrimper

26 Apr 2015, 00:12 #14

I have it and have listened to it ar least 5 times. So please give me a bit more if you really give a shit.
johncoan

hotrunes

26 Apr 2015, 13:40 #15

Just for information...

I decided to pre-order my CD copy at Action Records Website on Friday, expecting to receive it on or after the release date (11 May). It arrived in the post on Saturday morning!

It would seem that Action Records may not be not bound to the official release date. I haven't tried the vinyl yet.

Also, if you enter the code given on the official fall website (foot of page), there's 10% off.

Too early to say whether the tablet itself is a glorious mess, or just a mess.

26 Apr 2015, 21:25 #16

based on one listen, i like it but it's going to take some getting used to.

a couple of tracks i was looking forward to (dedication, pledge) aren't great, whereas tracks i thought i'd dislike (first one today, quit iphone) are far more tolerable than live versions.

there are some great highlights - venice and 2014 are exhilirating, and black roof is delightfully odd. the version of facebook troll is different; subdued to begin with, crazed towards the end. i think it's the better version.

MES' vocals seem very high in the mix. not necessarily a bad thing, but there's not much guitar noise as far as i can recall (on an album where greenway doesn't receive a single credit).

both pledge and dedication are very different from live versions. pledge i can deal with, but i still think dedication is a wasted opportunity. as interesting as the studio version is, it's a pale imitations of the song live. compare it to the version from brixton electric last year. actually, don't. you can't. is this another example of MES's self-sabotage instinct, cocking things up deliberately a bit when they get a bit too cosy? can't think why else he'd sacrifice such an obviously great tune in favour of the version on the album.

some nice odd bits throughout, including a 30 second whistling outro to facebook troll.

it's too early to tell if i'll fall in love with this one, but i'm intrigued and can't wait to listen to it again tomorrow.

bzfgt
bzfgt

26 Apr 2015, 22:55 #17

OK I ordered this from Action records, order number 17940. Somebody PLEASE send me a digital version to my PM!!!

slangking

27 Apr 2015, 00:19 #18

bzfgt @ Apr 27 2015, 10:55 AM wrote: OK I ordered this from Action records, order number 17940. Somebody PLEASE send me a digital version to my PM!!!
Ditto here _PLEASE_ - 17942 !

Shrimper

27 Apr 2015, 00:29 #19

heytherefuckface @ Apr 27 2015, 09:25 AM wrote: based on one listen, i like it but it's going to take some getting used to.

a couple of tracks i was looking forward to (dedication, pledge) aren't great, whereas tracks i thought i'd dislike (first one today, quit iphone) are far more tolerable than live versions.

there are some great highlights - venice and 2014 are exhilirating, and black roof is delightfully odd. the version of facebook troll is different; subdued to begin with, crazed towards the end. i think it's the better version.

MES' vocals seem very high in the mix. not necessarily a bad thing, but there's not much guitar noise as far as i can recall (on an album where greenway doesn't receive a single credit).

both pledge and dedication are very different from live versions. pledge i can deal with, but i still think dedication is a wasted opportunity. as interesting as the studio version is, it's a pale imitations of the song live. compare it to the version from brixton electric last year. actually, don't. you can't. is this another example of MES's self-sabotage instinct, cocking things up deliberately a bit when they get a bit too cosy? can't think why else he'd sacrifice such an obviously great tune in favour of the version on the album.

some nice odd bits throughout, including a 30 second whistling outro to facebook troll.

it's too early to tell if i'll fall in love with this one, but i'm intrigued and can't wait to listen to it again tomorrow.
Great review.
johncoan

27 Apr 2015, 07:57 #20

Shrimper @ Apr 27 2015, 12:29 PM wrote:
heytherefuckface @ Apr 27 2015, 09:25 AM wrote: based on one listen, i like it but it's going to take some getting used to.

Great review.
Cheers.

On 2nd listen: black roof may be the star. It's fantastic. Beefhearty. Snazzy's fine too.

I'll see if I can share a digital version later tonight.

R. Totale

27 Apr 2015, 08:22 #21

johncoan @ Apr 25 2015, 11:38 PM wrote:

But the rest is poor.
Just to let everyone know, if Hexen and JohnCoan don't like it, it's probably a classic. :thumbsup:

harleyr

27 Apr 2015, 12:11 #22

First listen - A lot of imaginative attention to detail throughout, especially in the vocals. Layered arrangements with a punchy, ragged, spontaneous feel - it's what I think MES was trying to do with Middle Class Revolt all those years ago but couldn't pull off at the time. Brought a smile to my face. Black Roof was the standout track for me.

harleyr

27 Apr 2015, 12:16 #23

heytherefuckface @ Apr 27 2015, 09:25 AM wrote: both pledge and dedication are very different from live versions. pledge i can deal with, but i still think dedication is a wasted opportunity. as interesting as the studio version is, it's a pale imitations of the song live. compare it to the version from brixton electric last year. actually, don't. you can't. is this another example of MES's self-sabotage instinct, cocking things up deliberately a bit when they get a bit too cosy? can't think why else he'd sacrifice such an obviously great tune in favour of the version on the album.
That Brixton Electric version was the highlight for me too. In all performances since, the 'Bumblebee' guitar that makes the track has been held back to the last moment, rather than introduced after the first bridge. 90% certain that MES thought the track was turning into too much of a crowd pleaser and made adjustments.

27 Apr 2015, 12:28 #24

harleyr @ Apr 28 2015, 12:16 AM wrote: 90% certain that MES thought the track was turning into too much of a crowd pleaser and made adjustments.
yep, my thoughts exactly. i'm still vainly hoping for a single version that's vastly different to the album version(s). it's not going to happen, is it...

Bert
Bert

27 Apr 2015, 12:33 #25

It's not the late appearance of the guitar that bothers me - I think the song works much better for it. It's the keyboards. The keyboards in the live version are one of the things that makes it, but in the version on the album, they've been given the knob-twiddling treatment. Plus the fact that it's only 4 minutes long doesn't do it any favours either.