Still In a Dream

Still In a Dream

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

12 Sep 2017, 18:01 #1

Choose or lose

Total votes: 33
3(9%)
3(9%)
4(12%)
2(6%)
3(9%)
2(6%)
1(3%)
0(0%)
4(12%)
0(0%)
3(9%)
2(6%)
1(3%)
5(15%)
0(0%)
0(0%)

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/sti ... 1988-1995/

Just bought this lovely packaged 5 disc anthology of shoegaze.

For me 89/91 was such an exceptional time for music.

One week Acid House the next Madchester /Happy mondays ,Shoegaze Techno .Ambient.

Every week I would buy the Melody Maker and be inspired to buy something new or hear something

on John Peel . I was like a boy in the sweet shop with every new release.

As a teenager I was asked what music I liked 'I told them music that makes me feel like im on

drugs when Im not. Shoegaze was that sound with guitars.

It got built up then slated later. I still have a deep hatred for Slowdive without ( until this cd )

actually hearing them ,based mainly on the Melody Maker.

My mate lent me Pale Saints "Comforts Of Madness and Lushs "Scar" on tape during the 1990 world

cup. We were always trying to outdo each other .He won on that occasion.

Some dont stand up today 'of their time " Lushs 'Deluxe " on disc 2 and Chapter houses "falling

Down" Some still stand tall Pale Saints and UltraVivid Scene are 2 I could mention.

I first heard their song "Crash " on the "Staring at The Sun Ep on Peel and some great tunes past

me by like this from A.R Kanehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Np2jk6Pp5A and this from

Loop which reinforces the Loop Lovehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIKS1tFzvr8
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

12 Sep 2017, 20:00 #2

Choose up to 4
Reply

rainmaster
Member
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 19:44

12 Sep 2017, 21:33 #3

To my shame I only know the first two, can't say 'Cherry Coloured Funk' was shoegaze but I've voted for that and JAMC.
Grade A triple platinum cunt.
Reply

Steve69
Member
Joined: 23 Feb 2017, 14:34

13 Sep 2017, 04:12 #4

rainmaster @ Sep 12 2017, 10:33 PM wrote: To my shame I only know the first two, can't say 'Cherry Coloured Funk' was shoegaze but I've voted for that and JAMC.
I wouldn't have said that Kitchens of Distinction were either; neither (if they're who I think they are) were 14 Iced Bears - weren't they more C86 jangle?

In the past, I would have certainly described myself as a shoegaze fan. I certainly listened to / went to see quite a lot of it in my student days. But a couple of years ago a friend sent me a similar compilation, and I found that it generally sounded horribly dated. I think a lot of those bands worked much better live than on record.
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

13 Sep 2017, 16:45 #5

Steve69 @ Sep 13 2017, 04:12 PM wrote:
I wouldn't have said that Kitchens of Distinction
They certainly use artistic licence.

The Kitchens track on here is lost gem.

Had it on 12 and loved it and the artwork.

Not sure if they were worth further exploration mind.

Did see them live in Northampton's Irish centre .

Don't really remember that much.....

Might of been my fault.
Reply

Saveloy
Member
Joined: 27 Nov 2003, 12:24

13 Sep 2017, 17:12 #6

House of Love
Loop
Kitchens
AC Marias

I wouldn't describe any of them as shoegaze but hey ho!

That Kitchens song is indeed a fucking masterpiece. I'm getting shivers right now just thinking about it.
https://youtu.be/xmWGh7UBhgw

Pedants' Corner: The AC Marias song is "One of our Girls..." not "One of Our Little Girls..."

I reckon the ACM album would appeal to Cocteaus fans.
https://youtu.be/nX8W1VriAo4
Reply

Steve69
Member
Joined: 23 Feb 2017, 14:34

13 Sep 2017, 17:13 #7

Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Sep 13 2017, 05:45 PM wrote:
Steve69 @ Sep 13 2017, 04:12 PM wrote:
I wouldn't have said that Kitchens of Distinction
They certainly use artistic licence.

The Kitchens track on here is lost gem.

Had it on 12 and loved it and the artwork.

Not sure if they were worth further exploration mind.

Did see them live in Northampton's Irish centre .

Don't really remember that much.....

Might of been my fault.
I've always found them a little insipid to be honest, but I know several people that are big fans. One member of the band frequents the Wedding Present forum, I believe.
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

13 Sep 2017, 17:36 #8

rainmaster @ Sep 13 2017, 09:33 AM wrote: To my shame I only know the first two,
Surely House of Love didn't pass you by ?

They were the next big thing for a while in 88/89

One of the best gigs I ever went to.Wendover near Aylesbury .circa 1990

Where everyone was suitably cool.

Based on that gig I kind of went off them a bit as the records didn't reach the peaks that the

live sound did.
Reply

Steve69
Member
Joined: 23 Feb 2017, 14:34

13 Sep 2017, 17:58 #9

Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Sep 13 2017, 06:36 PM wrote:
rainmaster @ Sep 13 2017, 09:33 AM wrote: To my shame I only know the first two,
Surely House of Love didn't pass you by ?

They were the next big thing for a while in 88/89

One of the best gigs I ever went to.Wendover near Aylesbury .circa 1990

Where everyone was suitably cool.

Based on that gig I kind of went off them a bit as the records didn't reach the peaks that the

live sound did.
Agreed. Like I mentioned above, I found a lot of these bands' recorded output didn't replicate their live sound well and HoL were definitely an example - saw them live in 89ish and they were excellent, but always found the records a bit meh. Ride were an exception: they were immense live, and the first 2 albums were a good effort at capturing that. They went a bit rubbish after that, mind.
Reply

SimonC
Member
Joined: 28 Mar 2004, 00:15

13 Sep 2017, 18:27 #10

Steve69 @ Sep 13 2017, 05:58 PM wrote:
Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Sep 13 2017, 06:36 PM wrote:
rainmaster @ Sep 13 2017, 09:33 AM wrote: To my shame I only know the first two,
Surely House of Love didn't pass you by ?

They were the next big thing for a while in 88/89

One of the best gigs I ever went to.Wendover near Aylesbury .circa 1990

Where everyone was suitably cool.

Based on that gig I kind of went off them a bit as the records didn't reach the peaks that the

live sound did.
Agreed. Like I mentioned above, I found a lot of these bands' recorded output didn't replicate their live sound well and HoL were definitely an example - saw them live in 89ish and they were excellent, but always found the records a bit meh. Ride were an exception: they were immense live, and the first 2 albums were a good effort at capturing that. They went a bit rubbish after that, mind.
Oddly enough I found exactly the opposite with House of Love, really liked their first album, second one nowhere near as good as the first but not bad…

But, saw them three times live and every time they were utterly shit…maybe I was unlucky to have seen them three times when they had an off night?

Best thing about House of Love live were the support bands; first time A House, who were amazingly good and subsequently made a couple of decent albums, second time Radiohead (Thom Yorke at that time all long peroxide hair and leopard skin pants!) who, whilst not exactly being the best thing I’d ever seen, exuded such an overwhelming air of confidence and self-belief, you just knew they were going to be enormous…

Can’t remember who, if anyone, supported them the third time…
Reply

SimonC
Member
Joined: 28 Mar 2004, 00:15

13 Sep 2017, 18:51 #11

…and I remember reading an article a year or two back, apparently Guy Chadwick now earns a crust manufacturing and fitting double glazing…he probably earns a comfortable enough living…but I bet he winces every time he sees Radiohead on the telly performing at some mega-gig…
Reply

WetWetWet
Member
Joined: 21 Jan 2010, 23:18

13 Sep 2017, 19:29 #12

Strange selection :)

What about Ride and Slowdive and Swervedriver etc? The two former issued excellent albums this summer. Especially Weather Dairies by Ride is fantastic. They're playing all over UK in November/December, I'd go if I were you!

Voteed JAMC, Cockteau Twins, Pale Saints and House of Love
Hinc Robur et Securitas
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

13 Sep 2017, 20:22 #13

WetWetWet @ Sep 14 2017, 07:29 AM wrote: Strange selection :)

What about Ride and Slowdive and Swervedriver etc?
They is on disc 2.

Patience Man
Reply

WetWetWet
Member
Joined: 21 Jan 2010, 23:18

13 Sep 2017, 20:53 #14

Thanks!

I don't remember hearing/reading the term shoegaze at the time and it seems as it's a label that was put on certain bands afterwards.
Hinc Robur et Securitas
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

13 Sep 2017, 21:17 #15

WetWetWet @ Sep 14 2017, 08:53 AM wrote: Thanks!

I don't remember hearing/reading the term shoegaze at the time and it seems as it's a label that was put on certain bands afterwards.
A term coined by NME ( English. Music weekly ) due to the amount

of bands with floppy hair ,staring at

the floor/their shoes whilst playing live ,think Ride.I think they quoted

the guy outta "Moose" ( disc 3)
Reply

Steve69
Member
Joined: 23 Feb 2017, 14:34

14 Sep 2017, 02:39 #16

Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Sep 13 2017, 10:17 PM wrote:
WetWetWet @ Sep 14 2017, 08:53 AM wrote: Thanks!

I don't remember hearing/reading the term shoegaze at the time and it seems as it's a label that was put on certain bands afterwards.
A term coined by NME ( English. Music weekly ) due to the amount

of bands with floppy hair ,staring at

the floor/their shoes whilst playing live ,think Ride.I think they quoted

the guy outta "Moose" ( disc 3)
Yes, it was very much used at the time (89-91ish) - the NME was full of it.
Reply

robbroncs
Member
Joined: 08 Apr 2005, 23:38

14 Sep 2017, 09:39 #17

galaxie
spacemen
pale saints - probably my all time personal fav Shoegaze track.
"who's gonna play me in the movie? STING!"
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

14 Sep 2017, 11:40 #18

SimonC @ Sep 14 2017, 06:27 AM wrote:
Oddly enough I found exactly the opposite with House of Love, really liked their first album, second one nowhere near as good as the first but not bad…
I bought "House Of Love " first which I still like. A bit of everything fast ,slow even a bit of hill billy.

Cherry Red bought out a remastered 3 disc version of the first album a couple of years ago.

It stared to tick my boxes until I listened to it again..

I hear what I heard first time round bar "Christine" I find it a little MOR.

Would seem to me the hype was bigger than the sound on the album.

I remember Terry Vickers was the next Johhny Marr.

I even bought his first 12 as "Levitation" again it was ok....

So for me the 2nd album is Superb but the first I want to like it , but feel I must be missing

something?
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

14 Sep 2017, 11:45 #19

Thye Telescopes were pretty decent too.

First saw this on "Wide Angle" arts review show on Anglia Tv Thursday Night.

They also have a Creation recordings retrospective 90-92.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQNy_YKi6Nw
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

14 Sep 2017, 11:54 #20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxGI68P_yk0

This from Ultra Vivid Scene is a beaut.

Didnt clock at the time but I feel this is about Shooting Up.
Reply

robbroncs
Member
Joined: 08 Apr 2005, 23:38

14 Sep 2017, 12:41 #21

Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Sep 14 2017, 07:45 AM wrote: Thye Telescopes were pretty decent too.

First saw this on "Wide Angle" arts review show on Anglia Tv Thursday Night.

They also have  a Creation recordings retrospective 90-92.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQNy_YKi6Nw
"Celeste" was massive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7uxpSHuRu0
"who's gonna play me in the movie? STING!"
Reply

Joined: 02 Jul 2011, 15:48

14 Sep 2017, 13:18 #22

robbroncs @ Sep 15 2017, 12:41 AM wrote:
Freddie And The Dreamers Come On @ Sep 14 2017, 07:45 AM wrote: Thye Telescopes were pretty decent too.

First saw this on "Wide Angle" arts review show on Anglia Tv Thursday Night.

They also have  a Creation recordings retrospective 90-92.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQNy_YKi6Nw
"Celeste" was massive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7uxpSHuRu0
Thanks for that .led onto some Ride tunes :)
Reply