RIP Mark E Smith (5/3/57-24/1/18)

RD XVII
RD XVII

Jan 29 2018, 10:57 PM #551

RIP to Mark and my sympathies to all who knew him.

I'll never forget the first time I heard The Fall, it was English Scheme in the background of some skateboarding video a friend was showing me, so I will always owe that to him. I was about 13 and will always consider it a privilege to have been a Fall fan since that day. It was like nothing I'd ever heard before and Grotesque remains my favourite album of all time. I'll also never forgive myself for the fact that I never got to see them live and now never will. Koko in November, the day after my 19th birthday, was to be my first gig of theirs after spending my school years in the middle of nowhere with no venues for miles. At least now I think I'll finally be able to catch with listening to every album.

Thanks to everyone who runs the forum but thanks mainly to Mark, my hero who changed my life for the better and showed me I could do my own thing when I was going through bad times over the last few years.

Jan 29 2018, 11:59 PM #552

My self denial amazes me at times. Last year in Manchester when Mark came out on stage. I stood gobsmacked ,rooted to the spot for about 15 mins. I didn't know what it was ,I suspected a tumour.

My Mrs said ...... Yet gigs still came . When he played in a wheelchair with his arm in a sling. I just thought "Oh he has fallen over"  When they cancelled the USA gigs for the second time.

I thought 'How do they know he wont be fit in 3 months ?

When the gig was cancelled in Bristol I still rabidly checked "Fall News " for more gig dates.

Another thought about The Singles box set 'Surely there will be more to add "

I wasn't one for the abrasive early stuff ,I still struggle even now. For me it was "Shiftwork" I liked the really tight ,funky ,solid, motorik sound from the band and The Mark E couldnt give a fuck vocals.

It was the blend of the 2 intertwined.

I can live with the thought of no more albums .Though I have /had all the studio albums "HEX, PBL and KURIOUS I just couldnt get on with. There is plenty to get 

on with. 

Its the gigs. My first thought ,on hearing of his passing was no more "Good Evening We Are The Fall " Though I saw them at Glastonbury in 92 ,My mind is a blank.

The next time I saw them was Liverpool Carling in 2007 .They had a video screen with images moving to the music. Then the band came out to a Storming "Senior Twilight Stock Replacer"

I had to talk about it and I think it was called "Fall Net" and it was official.  

I thought " what I have I been doing all these years " Child rearing was the answer. After my daughter was born I didnt get to see them until Liverpool Stanley Theatre Friday 2011.

"Nate" blew me away and again I found this forum. Since then I have tried to go to all the Manchester /Liverpool gigs.

Each was one special. The best ones for me seemed to end with 'Reformation" "Jabez" where the place was rocking and I couldnt help but smile at the bemusement on the Bouncers faces as we all 

went wild for the drunk old man on the stage. Liverpool Arts Club in 2013 during "Reformation " he is patting everyones hands down the front and smiling 'How would we feel 

" HOW WOULD WE FUCKING FEEL " I got goosebumps at that. Salford Lowry Sunday night . Was a seated gig, 3 bods tried to dance during Nate but were told to sit down.

By the encore "Reformation " the force could not be contained. 

Gigs will never be able to Live up to The Fall ,thats a tough one for me. They were the pinnacle, when you have experienced the best ,everything else is just meh.

Going to a Fall gig was better then drugs,drink and sex.

I was hoping to take my lad next time out. 

Yesterday ( he has been brought up listening to The Fall) Out of the kitchen came " Check the record ,Check The Record ,Check The Guys Track Record . He is not appreciated."

Jan 30 2018, 12:10 AM #553

Lovely to spend the evening with Mr Marshall, Starsky, Acton High Street, Buy Kurious (who it was an absolute pleasure to meet for the first time) and Thanks To Tony before, during and after a splendid Johnny Dowd gig at St Pancras Old Church.

It struck me that it would be a nice idea if on Jan 24 each year (or nearest convenient date) there were some sort of FOF get together. You really are the salt of the earth.
Last edited by the very famous sports reporter on Jan 30 2018, 12:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.
http://tinyurl.com/lbukjk7
Twitter @GreatFaceRadio

Jan 30 2018, 12:18 AM #554

I think you might have to hire bouncers.  
Not everyone's cup of tea.

Jan 30 2018, 12:20 AM #555

Only if you turn up. 😉
http://tinyurl.com/lbukjk7
Twitter @GreatFaceRadio

Jan 30 2018, 12:23 AM #556

Not everyone's cup of tea.

hfirr
hfirr

Jan 30 2018, 12:39 AM #557

Freddie And The Dreamers Come On wrote: My self denial amazes me at times. Last year in Manchester when Mark came out on stage. I stood gobsmacked ,rooted to the spot for about 15 mins. I didn't know what it was ,I suspected a tumour.

My Mrs said ...... Yet gigs still came . When he played in a wheelchair with his arm in a sling. I just thought "Oh he has fallen over"  When they cancelled the USA gigs for the second time.

I thought 'How do they know he wont be fit in 3 months ?

When the gig was cancelled in Bristol I still rabidly checked "Fall News " for more gig dates.

Another thought about The Singles box set 'Surely there will be more to add "

I wasn't one for the abrasive early stuff ,I still struggle even now. For me it was "Shiftwork" I liked the really tight ,funky ,solid, motorik sound from the band and The Mark E couldnt give a fuck vocals.

It was the blend of the 2 intertwined.

I can live with the thought of no more albums .Though I have /had all the studio albums "HEX, PBL and KURIOUS I just couldnt get on with. There is plenty to get 

on with. 

Its the gigs. My first thought ,on hearing of his passing was no more "Good Evening We Are The Fall " Though I saw them at Glastonbury in 92 ,My mind is a blank.

The next time I saw them was Liverpool Carling in 2007 .They had a video screen with images moving to the music. Then the band came out to a Storming "Senior Twilight Stock Replacer"

I had to talk about it and I think it was called "Fall Net" and it was official.  

I thought " what I have I been doing all these years " Child rearing was the answer. After my daughter was born I didnt get to see them until Liverpool Stanley Theatre Friday 2011.

"Nate" blew me away and again I found this forum. Since then I have tried to go to all the Manchester /Liverpool gigs.

Each was one special. The best ones for me seemed to end with 'Reformation" "Jabez" where the place was rocking and I couldnt help but smile at the bemusement on the Bouncers faces as we all 

went wild for the drunk old man on the stage. Liverpool Arts Club in 2013 during "Reformation " he is patting everyones hands down the front and smiling 'How would we feel 

" HOW WOULD WE FUCKING FEEL " I got goosebumps at that. Salford Lowry Sunday night . Was a seated gig, 3 bods tried to dance during Nate but were told to sit down.

By the encore "Reformation " the force could not be contained. 

Gigs will never be able to Live up to The Fall ,thats a tough one for me. They were the pinnacle, when you have experienced the best ,everything else is just meh.

Going to a Fall gig was better then drugs,drink and sex.

I was hoping to take my lad next time out. 

Yesterday ( he has been brought up listening to The Fall) Out of the kitchen came " Check the record ,Check The Record ,Check The Guys Track Record . He is not appreciated."

Nice words & nice video. MES = The avantgarde Sinatra.

rossmorgan158

Jan 30 2018, 07:08 AM #558

New Facts Emerge has, of course, taken on a new resonance since Mark's death. I liked it (and by "liked" it I mean I thought MES and the group had finally "lost the plot" as you Brits like to say... but then, I realized my annoyance with the record would soon become its own aesthetic, like a million Fall records before) but now it seems like the ultimate fuck you to an even more watered down culture than the one The Fall started to counteract in 1976.

Can you imagine a Bon Iver fan listening to Fol De Rol? Jesus. 

Thank you MES for just being fucking sloppy, without apologies. You painted with the most precise and also the broadest brush.

"A hurricane in an age of light breezes." (A probably misremembered quote on a sticker on the cover of the first Psychic Paramount album, but applies even more so to MES/The Fall)

Neal Cassady

Jan 30 2018, 07:54 AM #559

It occurred to me in 20011 that I'd known Mark E Smith longer than I'd known my mum (she died in 2000)
Flashback to Christmas morning 1984 and me hurriedly ripping of the wrapping to my new Fall LP - unfortunately parents (Dad blamed Mum and vice-versa) had brought me The Wall by Pink Floyd. I forgave them, eventually.

Some lovely memories coming in from FoF members old and new, great stuff.
I'm not that good at smoking bongs, I'm not that good at breathing in.

Jan 30 2018, 12:19 PM #560

Neal Cassady wrote: Flashback to Christmas morning 1984 and me hurriedly ripping of the wrapping to my new Fall LP - unfortunately parents (Dad blamed Mum and vice-versa) had brought me The Wall by Pink Floyd. I forgave them, eventually.
😂 Priceless!

Su you hua

Jan 30 2018, 12:46 PM #561

Just after Renegade came out, Mark did at turn at the Hay-on-Wye book festival.  We drove up from Bath, pitched our tent and went to have a look round the town.  The first pub we went in was rammed like everywhere else, standing room only.  But who was the only gent in the place to offer my lady friend a seat?  Mark E Smith!  

His face actually seemed to light up a little when I addressed him as Mr Smith.  I must have bored the arse of him though as he didn't hang around for long.  Quick chat, very friendly, then off he went on his way.

Stewart Lee summed it up very well I thought - the alternative education, the unusual venues and most of all "the many friends I made because of The Fall" and in particular this messageboard.  I've really missed the excitement of the live shows over the past two or three years and catching up with people that I like spending time with.  
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... h-the-fall

Starsky - thanks for thinking of me!  Yes the news reached China very quick.  I was sat in bed reading the papers on the internet.  Haven't been able to log in here since then though, this new Tapatalk didn't like my name so Conway had to modify it a little.

Jan 30 2018, 01:04 PM #562

You were mentioned in the pub last night, we wondered if you'd heard, because you hadn't posted for a bit. The saddest of news, but at least we have this place to console each other. Hope you are still enjoying China x
My brain is the most complex thing in the Universe. Hiccup said so.

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

'false bravado won't hide the cracks'

Su you hua

Jan 30 2018, 01:14 PM #563

Yes I am!  I have sent you a PM with some news, but it appears to be stuck in Outbox, I'll try and give it a nudge if I can.

Jan 30 2018, 01:22 PM #564

Neal Cassady wrote: It occurred to me in 20011 that I'd known Mark E Smith longer than I'd known my mum (she died in 2000)
Flashback to Christmas morning 1984 and me hurriedly ripping of the wrapping to my new Fall LP - unfortunately parents (Dad blamed Mum and vice-versa) had brought me The Wall by Pink Floyd. I forgave them, eventually.

Some lovely memories coming in from FoF members old and new, great stuff.
I've just written about this myself - I was 20 when my mum died, I'm now 44 and I've been a Fall fan for over 30 years.

I had to write down "The Fall - Palace Of Swords Reversed - cassette because it has 2 extra songs" on a piece of paper for my dad in 1987 to ensure I received the right "surprise" Xmas present ("make sure the album this song is on is in your Christmas stocking" indeed).
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."

FieryJack99

Jan 30 2018, 02:27 PM #565

At first I shrugged and thought 'Oh well I knew he was poorly and it wasn't entirely unexpected' but in the last few days it keeps hitting me and I find myself nearly in tears. It first hit me hard when I read Kay Carrol's tribute which was beautifully sad. Since then been feeling really sad, it feels like the end of a 40 year relationship, even though I never really knew the man, met him briefly after gigs once or twice where we exchanged a few inconsquential words.

On Saturday I took a trip up to Prestwich, saw the pictures taped on lamposts around the precinct there, then I went on bit of a pub crawl to his well known favourite haunts, started in the Foresters where I raised a pint of Holts bitter to his memory . Then walked down to the Ostrich on Bury Old Road and finished at the Woodthorpe where I drank several more pints of Holts. That was my own solo wake for MES.

In the Forresters I saw groups of 55-60 year old blokes sitting in corner sipping their pints who I thought could easily have been Mark E Smith had he not started the band, and continued working on Salford docks. That was the thing about him, he was so ordinary yet so different to everyone else at the same time, as one of the tributes said 'a genuine outsider'. 'You don't have to be weird to be weird'

Three days later I still in state of disbelief that it's all over, my last Fall gig was last May at Victoria warehouse, my first Marquee,London 17/12/78. I'll never do that again, I can't imagine going to see any other band again. Listening to 6music as I type all the new music being played sounds incredibly lame in comparion to anything the Fall have done.

RIP Mark you will be sorely missed.

Music for me will never be the same again.

R. Totale

Jan 30 2018, 04:38 PM #566

Just listening to Wake Up In The City and had one of those "Awww... He's dead" moments. 😥
"The Gruppe is generally more cheerful, 'cos I'm fucking dying!"

johncoan

Jan 30 2018, 05:34 PM #567

FieryJack99 wrote: At first I shrugged and thought 'Oh well I knew he was poorly and it wasn't entirely unexpected' but in the last few days it keeps hitting me and I find myself nearly in tears. It first hit me hard when I read Kay Carrol's tribute which was beautifully sad. Since then been feeling really sad, it feels like the end of a 40 year relationship, even though I never really knew the man, met him briefly after gigs once or twice where we exchanged a few inconsquential words.

On Saturday I took a trip up to Prestwich, saw the pictures taped on lamposts around the precinct there, then I went on bit of a pub crawl to his well known favourite haunts, started in the Foresters where I raised a pint of Holts bitter to his memory . Then walked down to the Ostrich on Bury Old Road and finished at the Woodthorpe where I drank several more pints of Holts. That was my own solo wake for MES.

In the Forresters I saw groups of 55-60 year old blokes sitting in corner sipping their pints who I thought could easily have been Mark E Smith had he not started the band, and continued working on Salford docks. That was the thing about him, he was so ordinary yet so different to everyone else at the same time, as one of the tributes said 'a genuine outsider'. 'You don't have to be weird to be weird'

Three days later I still in state of disbelief that it's all over, my last Fall gig was last May at Victoria warehouse, my first Marquee,London 17/12/78. I'll never do that again, I can't imagine going to see any other band again. Listening to 6music as I type all the new music being played sounds incredibly lame in comparion to anything the Fall have done.

RIP Mark you will be sorely missed.

Music for me will never be the same again.
That's beautiful. Thanks.
be-boxed focken clown

jamtomorrow

Jan 30 2018, 07:47 PM #568

Although I never considered it the definitive word on The Fall, one thing I did like about the (fairly) recent BBC 4 documentary was the way it ended, by stating very directly that The Fall's was an ongoing story, with all the potential and possibilities that implies. When I heard the news that Mark had died, it was the sudden loss of that feeling that struck me most, the sense that it was all over.
However, Shakespeare will never write another play nor Dickens another novel, and they remain as alive in my mind and in the culture as a whole as they ever did. The same will be true of The Fall. The vibrations will live on, indeed.

Jan 30 2018, 08:40 PM #569

jamtomorrow wrote: Although I never considered it the definitive word on The Fall, one thing I did like about the (fairly) recent BBC 4 documentary was the way it ended, by stating very directly that The Fall's was an ongoing story, with all the potential and possibilities that implies. When I heard the news that Mark had died, it was the sudden loss of that feeling that struck me most, the sense that it was all over.
However, Shakespeare will never write another play nor Dickens another novel, and they remain as alive in my mind and in the culture as a whole as they ever did. The same will be true of The Fall. The vibrations will live on, indeed.
Yes indeed. All things must pass. It seems too young, 60, but then for the fast life of Mark E Smith, it was quite old.

ocelot
ocelot

Jan 30 2018, 08:52 PM #570

"And one day you'll wake up
And find you lost a good man
Transparent or not
You'll never see my like again
I'm talkin about me
No malice"

Thanks for everything Mark.

grudgefulboy

Jan 30 2018, 08:59 PM #571

Just went to The Fall's Spotify page. 325,000 listeners this month. I'm pretty sure it was about 125,000 just a few weeks ago.

bzfgt
bzfgt

Jan 30 2018, 09:06 PM #572

grudgefulboy wrote: Just went to The Fall's Spotify page. 325,000 listeners this month. I'm pretty sure it was about 125,000 just a few weeks ago.
Yeah, I haven't looked at the stats on my site in years but I bet I'm doing a land office business...not that it's "monetized" or anything....

bzfgt
bzfgt

Jan 30 2018, 09:13 PM #573

bzfgt wrote:
grudgefulboy wrote: Just went to The Fall's Spotify page. 325,000 listeners this month. I'm pretty sure it was about 125,000 just a few weeks ago.
Yeah, I haven't looked at the stats on my site in years but I bet I'm doing a land office business...not that it's "monetized" or anything....
Yep, I was averaging around 400 "unique visitors" per day (which seems unrealistically high to me, who knows how they do it), spiked to almost 7 thousand on the 24th, and am going at about a 2500 clip now....halcyon days. Well, it is nice that there are visitors although of course the occasion for it sucks. 

Hm, I haven't looked in a while but it looks like I did way more business in 2014 than before or since...

Crap, probably not the thread for this. Sorry, I got mesmerized for a minute there.

sigma2

Jan 31 2018, 12:56 AM #574

Little bit of forum pre-cog here:

Debased @ Apr 29 2013, 08:50 AM wrote: I've always had the theory that The Fall will end and MES will retire in 2017.  The group will turn 40 and Mark will turn 60.  They'll bang out a couple more studio albums in the meantime.  Touring may become less frequent (especially if Mark wants to fit an extra studio album in there).  The same Imperial Wax Solvent lineup will remain until the end.  Call it a pre-cog, if you like, but I truly believe this to be the case.
Elitist Ponce

engine

Jan 31 2018, 11:23 AM #575

Just had New facts emerge on the rekkid player.
 His voice was the best it's been in years.
 The album is the best they've made since Clutter in my opinion.
 If this is a Bowie syndrome , where the best albums in yonks are saved till last then I'm  dearly hoping the latest album is complete enough to release.
 Just one more ...pleeeeeeze ! 
Not fit to stroke a Battersea dogs home bound Jack Russell .