9:40 AM - May 26, 2018 #126

The tip is 8.05 Ffos Las: Skewiff each way
nobody did

10:43 AM - May 26, 2018 #127

idonotknowyournamr2 wrote: The tip is 8.05 Ffos Las: Skewiff each way
Ladbrokes have cut it's price from 9/1 to 5/1 so hope you got on early.
Self-doubt can be a laugh

10:46 AM - May 26, 2018 #128

^^^

In English, please.
"... a shiftless person, roving and magotie-headed, and sometimes little better than crased."

Head Gardener

11:29 AM - May 26, 2018 #129

2:07 PM - May 26, 2018 #130

Aubrey The Cat wrote: ^^^

In English, please.
The time of the race is 8.05, the course is Ffos Las, Skewiff is the horse, an each way bet is to win, or place. Odds were better earlier on, than now. Nine pounds pay out for every pound bet, rather than five pounds per pound bet. 
My brain is the most complex thing in the Universe. Hiccup said so.

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

'false bravado won't hide the cracks'

3:06 PM - May 26, 2018 #131

Starsky-Tandoori wrote:

In English, please.
The time of the race is 8.05, the course is Ffos Las, Skewiff is the horse, an each way bet is to win, or place. Odds were better earlier on, than now. Nine pounds pay out for every pound bet, rather than five pounds per pound bet. 
Thank you.

There are bits of Wodehouse that lose me in the same way: I can get the gist, but not the detail.
"... a shiftless person, roving and magotie-headed, and sometimes little better than crased."

3:27 PM - May 26, 2018 #132

Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Starsky-Tandoori wrote:

In English, please.
Thank you.

There are bits of Wodehouse that lose me in the same way: I can get the gist, but not the detail.
I knew nothing about it until I met my first serious boyfriend at 16, (until I was about 24?), he used to nip down the shop early in the morning, get a Daily Mirror, and come back to bed and leaf through the racing pages. That sounds a bit sleazy, but they were good and happy days, and there was very much more too him than that. 

Wodehouse. Golfing terms?

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

3:45 PM - May 26, 2018 #133

Starsky-Tandoori wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Starsky-Tandoori wrote:

In English, please.
Thank you.

I knew nothing about it until I met my first serious boyfriend at 16, (until I was about 24?), he used to nip down the shop early in the morning, get a Daily Mirror, and come back to bed and leaf through the racing pages. That sounds a bit sleazy, but they were good and happy days, and there was very much more too him than that. 

No, it's when Bertie and his friends are discussing the odds before choirboy races and sermon handicaps and stuff like that; sometimes they seem to be saying the opposite of what they really are saying. I don't have time to find examples now though. And, as I say, from the context I can usually understand it, even if I don't get it.

3:49 PM - May 26, 2018 #134

Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Starsky-Tandoori wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Starsky-Tandoori wrote:

In English, please.
Thank you.

No, it's when Bertie and his friends are discussing the odds before choirboy races and sermon handicaps and stuff like that; sometimes they seem to be saying the opposite of what they really are saying. I don't have time to find examples now though. And, as I say, from the context I can usually understand it, even if I don't get it.
And always possible they are 'made up' anyway ..... jargon is ripe for satire, you know that of course. 

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

engine

11:45 AM - May 27, 2018 #135

Bank holiday tomoz....
Doing anything special ?
Yorkshire Sculpture Park for the Engines.
Free innit !

Pott
Pott

1:23 PM - May 27, 2018 #136

engine wrote: Bank holiday tomoz....
Doing anything special ?
Yorkshire Sculpture Park for the Engines.
Free innit !
Free, but they charge a lot for parking.

Nearby Cannon Hall is worth a look too, also free since it's owned by Barnsley Council. I'd avoid it on a bank holiday though.

engine

2:23 PM - May 27, 2018 #137

The sculpture park's find.
Big enough for everyone. It's a huge park as you know.
The only downside is that it shuts at four .
I like the late afternoon best on a sunny day walking wise.

DeusErac

7:39 PM - May 27, 2018 #138

Does this bank holiday honor or signify anything or just a nice spring day's vacation?

It is our Memorial Day. Fallen soldiers, poppies, graveyard visits, etc.

We also have Veteran's Day in November on 11-11, tied to Armistace Day.

I would wager 75% of Amerks do not know exactly what each holiday is supposed to commemorate.

I usually get a "thanks for your service" or three around Memorial Day. I was raised to have manners so I just respond politely, but inside I think "Well, I'm not dead yet, am I?"

At any rate, I am spending the weekend in Des Moines helping my daughter move from her apartment of five years to a bigger, newer, nicer one . . . Which is just one building over from our apartment in Des Moines.

We are having dinner tonight and doing a May month commemoration of two birthdays and Mother's Day, since we were not all together on the actual days . . .
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

engine

7:41 PM - May 27, 2018 #139

Say " hello" to Slipknot for me.

7:53 PM - May 27, 2018 #140

DeusErac wrote: Does this bank holiday honor or signify anything or just a nice spring day's vacation?

It is our Memorial Day. Fallen soldiers, poppies, graveyard visits, etc.

I would wager 75% of Amerks do not know exactly what each holiday is supposed to commemorate.

I usually get a "thanks for your service" or three around Memorial Day. I was raised to have manners so I just respond politely, but inside I think "Well, I'm not dead yet, am I?"

At any rate, I am spending the weekend in Des Moines helping my daughter move from her apartment of five years to a bigger, newer, nicer one . . . Which is just one building over from our apartment in Des Moines.

We are having dinner tonight and doing a May month commemoration of two birthdays and Mother's Day, since we were not all together on the actual days . . .
Originally Whitsuntide, which in some ways was as big as Christmas (and certainly bigger than Easter) at the Methodist college where I grew up; we had marquees with preachers (including Billy Graham one year, my mother told me) and stalls and, I don't know, lots of stuff; loads of people came and left pop bottles about the place that we could get money back on.

Now It's just Spring Bank Holiday, and I don't think it means anything.

DeusErac

8:06 PM - May 27, 2018 #141

engine wrote: Say " hello" to Slipknot for me.
One of them got married at the museum I used to work at, and another lived just around the corner, and I know the doctor who allegedly gave Paul Gray the fatal overdose. It's a small town in a lot of ways. We used to get museum visitors regularly who came to Des Moines specifically to see where Slipknot came from . . . .
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

rijkard

3:21 AM - May 31, 2018 #142

"It is our Memorial Day. Fallen soldiers, poppies, graveyard visits, etc.

I would wager 75% of Amerks do not know exactly what each holiday is supposed to commemorate."

the over/under in Vegas is 98.6%
Time won't give me time
And time makes lovers feel
Like they've got something real
But you and me we know
We've got nothing but time

Last seen Suji Seoul South Korea 2007

Priscilla Chaos is a lustrous jewel

engine

12:14 AM - Jun 03, 2018 #143

Went out to a restaurant last weekend. Left the car in the street.
Came out to find that some wag had jumped onto the bonnet... Up onto the roof .... And had a dance on it !
Roof and bonnet are dented to fuck !
Cops came and basically said " no chance..... Fuck off home" . Gave me a crime report and number for the insurance.
....eeh we did laugh about it when we got home !  

huh
huh

7:57 AM - Jun 03, 2018 #144

engine wrote: Went out to a restaurant last weekend. Left the car in the street.
Came out to find that some wag had jumped onto the bonnet... Up onto the roof .... And had a dance on it !
Roof and bonnet are dented to fuck !
Cops came and basically said " no chance..... Fuck off home" . Gave me a crime report and number for the insurance.
....eeh we did laugh about it when we got home !  

Any pictures...?

HiccupPercy

8:05 AM - Jun 03, 2018 #145

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

engine

9:46 AM - Jun 03, 2018 #146

👣👣👣👣👣
👣👣👣👣👣
 Here. All you're getting , boy.....I don't brook with gloaters.

12:33 AM - Jun 20, 2018 #147

Nah 

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

1:47 PM - Jun 24, 2018 #148

Went to York Cold War Bunker yesteday ... well worth a visit.

Not a bunker to protect people and make sure they survive, but a bunker which was one of a network and was to be used to work to ascertain the position of ground zero in a nuclear strike so that fallout and contamination levels could be predicted.

Learnt alot.  Recommended if you're in the vicinity and sick of the standard touristy bits of York.
Terrorist Sympathising Enemy Within

1:58 PM - Jun 24, 2018 #149

GrumpyNorthernGit wrote: Went to York Cold War Bunker yesteday ... well worth a visit.

Not a bunker to protect people and make sure they survive, but a bunker which was one of a network and was to be used to work to ascertain the position of ground zero in a nuclear strike so that fallout and contamination levels could be predicted.

Learnt alot.  Recommended if you're in the vicinity and sick of the standard touristy bits of York.
We go to York quite often, the rest of my family went there, said it was very interesting too. 

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

7:36 AM - Jul 01, 2018 #150

Fuck Facebook
Scotch cockney cunt