New Facts Emerge: Reviews

New Facts Emerge: Reviews

Joined: 18 Jul 2014, 16:40

15 Jul 2017, 19:05 #1

There's a review in the latest issue of Loud and Quiet, one of those freebie mags you'll find littering the floors of all good record shops (and some not so great ones).

Anyway, it gets 5/10 (one of the lowest scores in the issue) but the weird thing is, although the reviewer considers it a below-par effort, the way they describe it makes you wonder if it might ironically be better than usual. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

What? Oh, alright. It's on p42 here:

https://issuu.com/loudandquiet/docs/l_q87
1:Prem. There is such a thing as 'The Theory of Everything'.
2:Prem. There is such a thing as 'The THeory of Everythimg'.
3:Conc. There is such a thing as 'The Theory of Everythingamajig'. I couldn't remember everything.
Reply

tempertantrum
Member
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 15:43

15 Jul 2017, 19:21 #2

It's interested that he says Nine Out of Ten has rockabilly guitar, which would mean it's a lot different than how it's been played live.
We are not adults, we are crusty mystics
Reply

johncoan
Member
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 23:12

15 Jul 2017, 21:13 #3

He's right to call 'Fol De Rol' "triumphant". I'm not sure we'll get anything better on the LP.
be-boxed focken clown
Reply

rainmaster
Member
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 19:44

15 Jul 2017, 23:54 #4

Had to increase screen size 400% to read it. :rolleyes:


Eleni's departure "could prove fatal". :(
Grade A triple platinum cunt.
Reply

Joined: 31 Jan 2008, 13:57

16 Jul 2017, 06:09 #5

rainmaster @ Jul 16 2017, 12:54 AM wrote:Had to increase screen size 400% to read it. :rolleyes:
What a cunt.
A Worried Man,Apr 25 2017, 12:18 AM

"GFR is being a prick."
Reply

rainmaster
Member
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 19:44

16 Jul 2017, 07:04 #6

Grease For Roads @ Jul 16 2017, 07:09 AM wrote:
rainmaster @ Jul 16 2017, 12:54 AM wrote:Had to increase screen size 400% to read it. :rolleyes:
What a cunt.
Fuck you.
Grade A triple platinum cunt.
Reply

Joined: 31 Jan 2008, 13:57

16 Jul 2017, 08:15 #7

rainmaster @ Jul 16 2017, 08:04 AM wrote:
Grease For Roads @ Jul 16 2017, 07:09 AM wrote:
rainmaster @ Jul 16 2017, 12:54 AM wrote:Had to increase screen size 400% to read it. :rolleyes:
What a cunt.
Fuck you.
A Worried Man,Apr 25 2017, 12:18 AM

"GFR is being a prick."
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

16 Jul 2017, 08:33 #8

rainmaster @ Jul 16 2017, 12:54 AM wrote: Had to increase screen size 400% to read it. :rolleyes:


Eleni's departure "could prove fatal". :(
There's a plus/minus slider bottom right that increases the size of the image.

Dan
Reply

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: 06 Dec 2003, 05:56

16 Jul 2017, 09:10 #9

I'm awarding this review 1/10 in Fall Bingo for referencing Difficult to identify the lyrics in places /growl/ slur etc

They seemed to know their stuff
Granny on bongos
Always different always the same
Curmudgeonly
Ex wife / wives
John Peel's favourite band
Longest line-up/ The only constant member/ex-members
Difficult to identify the lyrics in places /growl/ slur etc
Four decades
Their best album since [insert year]'s [insert name of a Fall LP that isn't Re-Mit or SLT]/ Return to form
Reply

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: 06 Dec 2003, 05:56

16 Jul 2017, 09:11 #10

I need to change my brackets
Unhinged
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

16 Jul 2017, 12:37 #11

Divvey @ Jul 16 2017, 10:11 AM wrote: I need to change my brackets
Unhinged
I did it for you, as it was causing me anxiety.

Dan
Reply

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: 06 Dec 2003, 05:56

16 Jul 2017, 12:46 #12

Thanks
I should use a keyboard not a phone for stuff like that
Reply

Buy Kurious
Member
Joined: 24 Mar 2006, 19:48

16 Jul 2017, 14:11 #13

Another review here:

http://theafterword.co.uk/the-fall-new-facts-emerge/

It sounds fantastic!!!
As ever the style veers between the almost Ballroom Blitz Glam Rock stomp of ‘Brillo De Facto’ to the heavy sludge rock riffage of ‘Couples Vs Jobless Mid 30’s’ . On the title track an unamed Rapper/Grime artist duets with Mark which distinguishes it from sounding like several other recent Fall tracks.
^_^
"We really made a groovy team but now alone I dream dream dream dream dream..."

RIP EC
Reply

Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 18:36

16 Jul 2017, 16:46 #14

'The line up is Greenway/Spurr/Melling who have backed Mark Smith almost as long as Hanley/Bramah/Wolstencroft.'...

...a line-up that lasted less than one album.... :huh:
Can't dance, can't sing. Cursed forever is...well, me.
Reply

rainmaster
Member
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 19:44

16 Jul 2017, 21:03 #15

Buy Kurious! @ Jul 16 2017, 03:11 PM wrote: Another review here:

http://theafterword.co.uk/the-fall-new-facts-emerge/

It sounds fantastic!!!
As ever the style veers between the almost Ballroom Blitz Glam Rock stomp of ‘Brillo De Facto’ to the heavy sludge rock riffage of ‘Couples Vs Jobless Mid 30’s’ . On the title track an unamed Rapper/Grime artist duets with Mark which distinguishes it from sounding like several other recent Fall tracks.
^_^
Sorry BK, I admire your continued excitement over new Fall product, but it sounds shite. :huh:
heavy sludge rock riffage


Can't recall ever being so not looking forward to a new Fall LP. Which may of course mean it'll be absolutely brilliant. :D
Grade A triple platinum cunt.
Reply

Joined: 08 Oct 2003, 11:07

17 Jul 2017, 07:47 #16

thehippriestess @ Jul 17 2017, 04:46 AM wrote: 'The line up is Greenway/Spurr/Melling who have backed Mark Smith almost as long as Hanley/Bramah/Wolstencroft.'...

...a line-up that lasted less than one album.... :huh:
Well, that exact configuration only recorded one song. I know this current lot can be a bit samey sometimes, but they've definitely recorded more than one song.
Reply

Joined: 08 Oct 2003, 11:07

17 Jul 2017, 08:14 #17

tempertantrum @ Jul 16 2017, 07:21 AM wrote: It's interested that he says Nine Out of Ten has rockabilly guitar, which would mean it's a lot different than how it's been played live.
Either that or it's nothing like rockabilly and the reviewer's got it wrong.
Reply

Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 18:36

18 Jul 2017, 06:55 #18

Petula Macabre @ Jul 17 2017, 07:47 PM wrote: Well, that exact configuration only recorded one song.
hah! Good point! :D
Can't dance, can't sing. Cursed forever is...well, me.
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

19 Jul 2017, 21:19 #19

Uncut's review of New Facts Emerge (p26 of the September edition) gives it 8/10.
... louder and stranger than ever
Dan
Reply

Joined: 08 Oct 2003, 11:07

20 Jul 2017, 08:07 #20

dannyno @ Jul 20 2017, 09:19 AM wrote: Uncut's review of New Facts Emerge (p26 of the September edition) gives it 8/10.
... louder and stranger than ever
Dan
It's a shame they didn't rate it highly enough to give it nine out of ten.
Reply

Gaspop
Member
Gaspop
Member
Joined: 05 Sep 2009, 18:28

20 Jul 2017, 12:08 #21

I got my vinyl copy in the mail today. Great first impression I must say!

It packs quite a punch and seems to have quite alot of quirks that I like so much about the Fall (that SLT was missing).
Reply

Joined: 08 Oct 2003, 11:07

20 Jul 2017, 12:13 #22

Gaspop @ Jul 21 2017, 12:08 AM wrote: I got my vinyl copy in the mail today. Great first impression I must say!

It packs quite a punch and seems to have quite alot of quirks that I like so much about the Fall (that SLT was missing).
But which album is it their best since?
Reply

Gaspop
Member
Gaspop
Member
Joined: 05 Sep 2009, 18:28

20 Jul 2017, 12:15 #23

The Remainderer


Edit:
I've listened a couple of times, and I'll have to say the first half is excellent material. The last half: not so much, but maybe it'll grow on me.
Victoria Train Station Massacre is a prelude to New Facts Emerge, love 'em both.
Reply

The BEF
Member
Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 22:01

20 Jul 2017, 18:49 #24

Gaspop @ Jul 20 2017, 01:15 PM wrote: The Remainderer


Edit:
I've listened a couple of times, and I'll have to say the first half is excellent material. The last half: not so much, but maybe it'll grow on me.
Victoria Train Station Massacre is a prelude to New Facts Emerge, love 'em both.
Without wishing to spoil it too much. Are the two long tracks up to snuff? :unsure:
Nobody has the medium.
Reply

DeusErac
Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2007, 13:24

20 Jul 2017, 20:33 #25

Best album since "Wise Ol' Man," certainly.

(I hate that I will be away from home the week it comes out . . . really ready to hear it all as a piece!!)
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com
Reply