Mountain Energei v. My New House

which qualifies for The Round Of 16?
bzfgt
Moderator
bzfgt
Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 03:12

18 Nov 2015, 19:34 #26

That is fantastic. I can't recall if I ever listened to it before but if I did, I did not pay close enough attention, because I didn't remember anything about it...that is a tremendous track in its own right.

Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 19:22

18 Nov 2015, 22:42 #27

Is it old news that Mountain Energei is very reminiscent of Iggy Pop's 'The Passenger'? Someone upthread says it 'feels important', yeah, right.

My New House is miles better

seadog black
Member
Joined: 03 Mar 2005, 21:30

18 Nov 2015, 22:42 #28

I like My New House better

Circus Money
Member
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 16:37

19 Nov 2015, 11:31 #29

Mountain Energei

Dolly Parton and Lord Byron, They said patriotism is the last refuge

By a whisker. MNH rattles along is great style and is hugely enjoyable. ME is far more interesting lyrically and has a great descending guitar chord. It's funny playing these two songs one after the other - they complement each other perfectly.
Sometimes life just bounces so you don't get worried at all.

Chris Shaw
Member
Joined: 12 May 2013, 16:11

19 Nov 2015, 23:22 #30

My New House. Possibly my favourite Fall song.

Buy Kurious
Member
Joined: 24 Mar 2006, 19:48

20 Nov 2015, 00:03 #31

Mountain Energei.
"We really made a groovy team but now alone I dream dream dream dream dream..."

RIP EC

Hotel Amnesia
Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2004, 13:19

20 Nov 2015, 09:56 #32

Buy Kurious! @ Nov 20 2015, 11:03 AM wrote: Mountain Energei.
+1

The vocal of MES is just is just so infectious.
757 million people in the world are illiterate

Dice Man
Member
Joined: 09 Feb 2005, 11:23

20 Nov 2015, 12:26 #33

Sussex Energei.
Ubu le Roi is a home hobgoblin.

damoncreed
Member
Joined: 22 Feb 2005, 00:45

23 Nov 2015, 01:33 #34

Dang. A rare regret vote. Went MNH and immediately realized I shoulda gone ME.
"Not like that bastard gas, butane."
Twitter: @dj_damoncreed
Mixcloud: https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_damoncreed/

bzfgt
Moderator
bzfgt
Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 03:12

23 Nov 2015, 03:35 #35

In a case like this I like both of these about the same, and I will admit that ME's being more recent served as a sort of tie-breaker, so to that extent I am being a YZN-type (if we put YZ back a decade or so)...but I really love MNH too, I think it's maybe a tiny bit underrated by the looks of this vote (although the fact that it made it this far on the other hand indicates it is pretty well liked).

Neal Cassady
Member
Joined: 08 Dec 2005, 11:05

23 Nov 2015, 05:39 #36

My New House.
I'm not that good at smoking bongs, I'm not that good at breathing in.

bzfgt
Moderator
bzfgt
Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 03:12

23 Nov 2015, 07:56 #37

I listened to both of these tonight, and in neither case was I disappointed. I actually listened to Milner's demo, Country on the Click, and RNFLP versions of ME...all good.

Joined: 13 May 2010, 15:53

23 Nov 2015, 08:14 #38

bzfgt @ Nov 23 2015, 06:56 PM wrote: I listened to both of these tonight, and in neither case was I disappointed. I actually listened to Milner's demo, Country on the Click, and RNFLP versions of ME...all good.
Don't forget the Sussex Morning version. It's orgasmic!

bzfgt
Moderator
bzfgt
Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 03:12

23 Nov 2015, 08:53 #39

Lick-Spittle Southerner @ Nov 23 2015, 12:14 AM wrote:
bzfgt @ Nov 23 2015, 06:56 PM wrote: I listened to both of these tonight, and in neither case was I disappointed. I actually listened to Milner's demo, Country on the Click, and RNFLP versions of ME...all good.
Don't forget the Sussex Morning version. It's orgasmic!
Yes it is, but I don't have SM on my ipod, unfortunately. But isn't this the version that's on there? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpNiNbyr_WA

If so I can just listen to it on youtube.

Joined: 13 May 2010, 15:53

23 Nov 2015, 09:15 #40

bzfgt @ Nov 23 2015, 07:53 PM wrote:
Lick-Spittle Southerner @ Nov 23 2015, 12:14 AM wrote:
bzfgt @ Nov 23 2015, 06:56 PM wrote: I listened to both of these tonight, and in neither case was I disappointed. I actually listened to Milner's demo, Country on the Click, and RNFLP versions of ME...all good.
Don't forget the Sussex Morning version. It's orgasmic!
Yes it is, but I don't have SM on my ipod, unfortunately. But isn't this the version that's on there? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpNiNbyr_WA

If so I can just listen to it on youtube.
No, certainly wasn't that one, good as it is.

Here: Mountain Energie. Los Angeles. CA. ** 23.05.2006

bzfgt
Moderator
bzfgt
Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 03:12

23 Nov 2015, 09:41 #41

Lick-Spittle Southerner @ Nov 23 2015, 01:15 AM wrote:
bzfgt @ Nov 23 2015, 07:53 PM wrote:
Lick-Spittle Southerner @ Nov 23 2015, 12:14 AM wrote: Don't forget the Sussex Morning version. It's orgasmic!
Yes it is, but I don't have SM on my ipod, unfortunately. But isn't this the version that's on there? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpNiNbyr_WA

If so I can just listen to it on youtube.
No, certainly wasn't that one, good as it is.

Here: Mountain Energie. Los Angeles. CA. ** 23.05.2006
Ah, I see. At some point I got the idea it was that other one.

Thank you! About to listen to it.

EDIT: oop, I guess not, I thought that was going to be a link to the song. I only have that on CD and I don't have a CD player right now.

Saveloy
Member
Joined: 27 Nov 2003, 12:24

23 Nov 2015, 13:18 #42

My New House!

It's like a freight train loaded with dead trees and scribbles of recovered rebar, driven through a too-narrow tunnel. Millions of snappings, scrapings, collisions etc. Fierce, directed but contained chaos.

Mountain Energei sounds like a Photoshopped image. Horrible digital filters, same image repeated many times with slight variations. And tinted / desaturated like a 2000s TV series of the sort that is meant to be approved of for its "darkness". I can imagine it being used as foreground music in an "iconic moment" in an HBO series. Bleh!

tempertantrum
Member
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 15:43

23 Nov 2015, 13:24 #43

Saveloy @ Nov 24 2015, 01:18 AM wrote: Horrible digital filters, same image repeated many times with slight variations.
This bothers me with all of COTC/RNFLP. And bzfgt's comment about ME simply being about complaining over red tape was too true not to hurt. Still like it though. I think.
We are not adults, we are crusty mystics

gohoho90
Member
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 13:26

23 Nov 2015, 21:03 #44

Poll closed.