Microphones

Saveloy

Mar 30 2012, 10:13 AM #1

Any recommendations for general purpose mics that don't cost a fortune?

I'm after a pair to record drums and guitar/bass onto a digital 4-track in a bedroom setting.  ie: one mic set close to and pointing at the drums, the other ditto the guitar amp.

I'm looking to spend less than 50 quid on the mics themselves, but am resigned to the fact that I'll probably need phantom power and cable adaptors as well.  I suppose I want to come in at less than 100 quid in total if I can.

I'm not after perfect sound, I just want something at least as good as the internal mics on my Fostex (DP004).

I've had these recommended to me by somebody I trust, but I thought it worth fishing around for further recs anyway:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_em700_stereoset.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_pp2b.htm

Speaking of phantom power, is there anything I should be aware of before buying a unit?  Looking on Amazon just now I noticed that one model came in two versions - standard, and "UK version".  Eh?  Is this something to do with Euro vs UK domestic voltages or summat?

otalgia

Mar 30 2012, 11:28 AM #2

Saveloy @ Mar 30 2012, 10:13 PM wrote: Any recommendations for general purpose mics that don't cost a fortune?

I'm after a pair to record drums and guitar/bass onto a digital 4-track in a bedroom setting. ie: one mic set close to and pointing at the drums, the other ditto the guitar amp.

I'm looking to spend less than 50 quid on the mics themselves, but am resigned to the fact that I'll probably need phantom power and cable adaptors as well. I suppose I want to come in at less than 100 quid in total if I can.

I'm not after perfect sound, I just want something at least as good as the internal mics on my Fostex (DP004).

I've had these recommended to me by somebody I trust, but I thought it worth fishing around for further recs anyway:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_em700_stereoset.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_pp2b.htm

Speaking of phantom power, is there anything I should be aware of before buying a unit? Looking on Amazon just now I noticed that one model came in two versions - standard, and "UK version". Eh? Is this something to do with Euro vs UK domestic voltages or summat?
If your gonna need 48v Phantom power then I would look into the Behringer Xenyx range of mini mixers. They will have XLR jacks for the microphones, Phantom Power and are useful for pre-eq before routing to your recorder.

Also comes in handy if your gigging too.

You can pick up the Xenyx 802 for about £45 new, probably cheaper secondhand on ebay.

Food for thought.

marvell78

Mar 30 2012, 11:50 AM #3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure_SM57

use a 57 and a 58 myself. worth the few bob extra. cheap mikes aren't cheap for nothing. got them both off ebay for reasonable prices

link explains all about the mics

Saveloy

Mar 30 2012, 02:57 PM #4

otalgia @ Mar 30 2012, 12:28 PM wrote: If your gonna need 48v Phantom power then I would look into the Behringer Xenyx range of mini mixers. They will have XLR jacks for the microphones, Phantom Power and are useful for pre-eq before routing to your recorder.

Also comes in handy if your gigging too.

You can pick up the Xenyx 802 for about £45 new, probably cheaper secondhand on ebay.

Food for thought.
Sounds like good advice - cheers!

Saveloy

Mar 30 2012, 03:00 PM #5

marvell78 @ Mar 30 2012, 12:50 PM wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure_SM57

use a 57 and a 58 myself. worth the few bob extra. cheap mikes aren't cheap for nothing. got them both off ebay for reasonable prices

link explains all about the mics
Thanks for the tip, marvell! A bit pricey for me right now, even 2nd-hand, but worth keeping in mind - something to save up for maybe.

Mar 30 2012, 04:51 PM #6

I don't know enough about microphones to address what Marvell said (he's probably right), but I like these rather inexpensive Nady microphones I have. I have their bottom of the line one (Starpower-1) which is great, and their top of the line one (Starpower-10) which is also great. The "10" is heavier, more expensive, and slightly louder than the "1," but the "1" has a silent on/off switch, which comes in handy.

Also, the USB microphone known as the Blue Snowball is highly recommended. Not only is it extremely loud, powerful, and clear, it is also a 'true stereo' omnidirectional microphone. If you record yourself walking by the Blue Snowball whistling, when you play it back, the sound will pan in the direction you moved (if you're recording in a stereo channel.) There is nothing better for recording 'live' instruments such as drums, vocals, amped instruments, etc. IMO. B)

Totally Weird

Mar 30 2012, 05:07 PM #7

flickeringlexicon @ Mar 30 2012, 04:51 PM wrote: the USB microphone known as the Blue Snowball is highly recommended
:)

Readers are invited to participate in this competition. Click here for Group A. You can post your vote as a guest at the site.

marvell78

Mar 30 2012, 08:42 PM #8

of course it is amater of taste and a matter of what you are after

i think this is simlar to the discussion about preamps/compressors

if you use lower qulaity mics (i know this is, up to a point, subjective) then you are limiting yourself and pushing some of the work onto eqing later (which may or may not work). i use the 58 for vox becaseu it works really well with not great singers lol. the advantage is that it gets the best possible signal for weaker singers (as in my case) and this allows you far more room for manoeuvring later. it also allows you to sing close in (a sure way to disguise lack of ability) i used to use a really cheap mic but i got tired of having to spend ages tinkering around with the recorded tracks trying to get them to sound well

Mar 30 2012, 09:48 PM #9

marvell78 @ Mar 30 2012, 04:42 PM wrote: of course it is amater of taste and a matter of what you are after

i think this is simlar to the discussion about preamps/compressors

if you use lower qulaity mics (i know this is, up to a point, subjective) then you are limiting yourself and pushing some of the work onto eqing later (which may or may not work). i use the 58 for vox becaseu it works really well with not great singers lol. the advantage is that it gets the best possible signal for weaker singers (as in my case) and this allows you far more room for manoeuvring later. it also allows you to sing close in (a sure way to disguise lack of ability) i used to use a really cheap mic but i got tired of having to spend ages tinkering around with the recorded tracks trying to get them to sound well
The whole record you made in 2008 sounded like it was all recorded thru a Shure SM57, voice and instruments, I mean. Ariel Pink kind of sounds the same way in this respect. In my mind, the way I think about what a Shure SM 57 does is that it sounds metallic (like a "singing" bridge or an aluminum body gtr). It also really, really compresses volume. I only ever used Shure sm57's when I shouted for shouty bands. The mic could take that and make something good out of it, regardless of how far or close you were and how much air and spit your mouth was hurling at it (or not hurling at it). I guess I am saying it is a very forgiving mic.

Saveloy

Apr 5 2012, 09:12 AM #10

Edit: D'oh!

Saveloy

Apr 5 2012, 03:40 PM #11

Right, have ordered a set of three Behringer mics (yep, cheap and cheerful) and that mixer that Otalgia recommended (Behringer again). Will let you know how I get on. Hope they turn up in time to do my FoF Covers Project entry! :D

Nov 3 2013, 11:24 AM #12

I just spent $230 on a microphone.

Rode Podcaster.

http://youtu.be/6NCvMmVwK9A

Nov 3 2013, 11:42 AM #13

Cleanville Tziabatz @ Nov 3 2013, 11:24 AM wrote: I just spent $230 on a microphone.

Rode Podcaster.

http://youtu.be/6NCvMmVwK9A
Looks like R2 D2's dildo.
hello hello this is monkey wrench.......