Mark E Smith - tributes and obituaries (working on first post index)

Mark E Smith - tributes and obituaries (working on first post index)

dannyno
dannyno

24 Jan 2018, 22:07 #1

I don't know what else to do, so I'll do what I always do and document things.   

Our own thread for personal tributes and thoughts is up there in announcements.  In this thread, I thought it would be good to gather media obituaries, comments on social media and so forth.

Links will take you to the top of the appropriate post.  If more than one item has been included in the post, you may have to scroll down a little to find the one you want.

BBC

Marc Riley's show was on 6Music as the BBC confirmed the news.  To hear him announce it there is emotional, and there's a little interview between him and Gideon Coe which is similarly emotional.

At about 1:19:30, Marc says:
<previous record ends>
<deep breath>
OK that is Low, and You See Everything live in session for us from 2011.  I just got to say that there's been rumours flying around all evening about Mark E Smith, and we're just getting to grips with it now. So I'm going to play you a manic Q&A from Glen Matlock and a tune, and we'll come out the other side of it and see where we are. <sounds choked here> OK, thank you.
The Q&A segment is followed by Pretty Vacant, and then the death of MES is confirmed by Marc at around 1:28:38.  Then there's the news, which ends with the news about MES. Then without further comment straight into an uninterrupted sequence of Fall songs: It's The New Thing; Oh! Brother; Edinburgh Man.  Then there's a couple of minutes chat with Gideon Coe (direct link to a clip of this), followed by  U.S. 80's - 90's.  Then there's Beefheart's Tropical Hot Dog Night, after which Riley recalls MES having just bought the album it was on.  Then finally Totally Wired.    

There is a page of clips on the BBC site.  This includes a Radcliffe and Maconie special.  

There were features on the BBC 10 O'Clock news and Newsnight on the 24th, followed on the 25th with additional coverage.

CHANNEL 4

Krishnan Guru-Murthy presented a tribute to MES at the end of Channel 4 news on the 25th.

NEWSPAPERS/MAGAZINES

Magnet magazine

NME obituary (Nick Levine)

Guardian obituary (Adam Sweeting)

Legend of the Fall: Mark E Smith kept swinging to the end (Dave Simpson appreciation, The Guardian)

Daily Telegraph obituary (Samantha Herbert)

ONLINE PUBLICATIONS

Louder Than War (obituary by John Robb)

Pitchfork (obituary)

THE FALL

THE FALLEN

Martin Bramah

Kay Carroll

Steve Evets

MUSICIANS/BANDS

Evil Blizzard (Facebook) / Evil Blizzard (Twitter)

Billy Bragg

Tim Burgess (Charlatans) - Newsnight feature)

Luke Haines (Auteurs/Black Box Recorder etc)

Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order etc)

Hookworms

Miles Hunt (Wonder Stuff)

Inspiral Carpets

Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees etc)

The Lovely Eggs

Ian McNabb (Icicle Works)

Keith Mullin (The Farm)

Mat Osman (Suede)

Kid Congo Powers

Lisa Stansfield

Superchunk

Pete Wylie

ARTISTS

Pete McKee

JOURNALISTS/CRITICS

Danny Baker

Danny Kelly

Daniel Dylan Wray

BROADCASTERS

Terry Christian

Lauren Laverne

COMEDIANS

Frank Skinner

ORGANISATIONS

BPI Music

John Peel Archive

MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT

Rupa Huq MP

People with interesting stories/observations/information/memories etc, whether public figures or not

Dan Herman (lawyer)

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

24 Jan 2018, 22:13 #2

Some notable Twitter responses:

Brix has tweeted, but says she will put out a statement tomorrow. I think best to wait for that.

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

24 Jan 2018, 22:53 #10

Pitchfork obituary

Louder Than War obituary (John Robb), worth quoting:
The Fall’s legendary frontman and acerbic wordsmith Mark E Smith has died at the age of 60.

In ill health for several months he battled on to the end. May his guttural cackle liveth for ever more.

Endless albums documented the post punk decades with barbed brilliance and sulphuric wit. Confusion and clarity in a world scrubbed too clean. Danger- uh!

I loved the intoxicating noise.

I loved the bass grind.

I loved the fact that they were never your showbiz chums. Remote and awkward. Nice people make boring music.

Yet they were stubbornly loyal to an idea. The wire crap that answered back. Ghosts from a rusting last who always felt like the future.

And always a great pop band. With cockroach songs that will last forever.

Smith didn’t shout. He sang. He had a beautiful voice- uh!

I’ve been bitten by Smith, looked after by a perfect host as a support band, slagged off by him, sometimes complimented in an obtuse way but that shit matters little. I’ve seen the band play way over 100 times even a few months ago and have all the albums. A fan.

A taxi for mr. Nelson!

Uh

Uh

!
Dan

dannyno
dannyno

24 Jan 2018, 23:02 #14

thefall.xyz latest news simply reads, "RIP Chief".

Dan

Divvey
Divvey

24 Jan 2018, 23:06 #15

Thanks Dan.

hey ho

dannyno
dannyno

24 Jan 2018, 23:11 #16

All those embedded Tweets might break the Forum.

But still.

And Miles Hunt (Wonder Stuff) on FaceBook:
Just arrived home from a day of driving and read the rotten news about Mark E. Smith. I'm sure, like many of yours, my house will be rockin' to the sound of The Fall for quite some hours yet. First up... 'This Nation's Saving Grace'.

Dan

rainmaster

24 Jan 2018, 23:13 #18

dannyno wrote: thefall.xyz latest news simply reads, "RIP Chief".

Dan
Their forum reads less, but probably not the time or place to be getting into that. 
Grade A triple platinum cunt.

Divvey
Divvey

24 Jan 2018, 23:16 #20

Danny Baker is busy

hey ho

dannyno
dannyno

24 Jan 2018, 23:25 #22

Apparently Tim Burgess of the Charlatans was just on BBC Newsnight.   I hope he did a lizard tongue thing.

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

24 Jan 2018, 23:51 #23

Last few for now.  I have to go to bed.  I doubt I will sleep.   

Dan

A Worried Man

24 Jan 2018, 23:58 #24

Divvey wrote: Thanks Dan.

Agreed.
a human-sized mass of bees that absorbed the soul of a Nazi

25 Jan 2018, 00:00 #25

The Guardian article Dan linked has a couple of nice quotes:
Cedric Bixler Zavala of US punk band At the Drive In said he was “one of the pillars of influence for me as lyricist and trouble maker. I’ve built trust in people based on whether they owned and actually loved Fall records. Thanks 4 making rock literary, and mischievous.” Another US rock band, Garbage, remembered Smith’s famously acerbic humour: “We will never forget you coming to see us play. Especially when you said watching us play was like watching paint dry.”