Joined: Aug 7 2013, 06:36 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:08 PM #476

Divvey wrote: Man city played Hit the North

hey ho
Tribute in the programme last night too...saw it on Twitter.
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."
Quote
Share

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: May 11 2004, 03:28 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:09 PM #477

Neal Cassady wrote:
academichamilton wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
GuyBoden wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote: ^^^

It is.


A decent and long piece by Jon Wilde:

Jon Wilde on We Are Cult
Quote "they had been my favourite group for five years, ever since the release of their wonderfully slapdash debut single, It’s The New Thing."

Good read, but fiction obscures the facts......
This has been said a few times. Arguably, Bingo Master was an EP, which would make New Thing first single.
Oh come on, that really is splitting hairs. Most post-punk 'singles' of the era were EPs so the distinction is just silly. 
More to the point, if he’d liked them for 5 years by the time New Thing had been released, he must have been a fan since 1974. Respect.
He says he had been a fan for 5 years since the single, not up to the single.

Dan
Quote
Share

sigma2
Member
Joined: Dec 17 2015, 02:47 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:11 PM #478

academichamilton wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
GuyBoden wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote: ^^^

It is.


A decent and long piece by Jon Wilde:

Jon Wilde on We Are Cult
Quote "they had been my favourite group for five years, ever since the release of their wonderfully slapdash debut single, It’s The New Thing."

Good read, but fiction obscures the facts......
This has been said a few times. Arguably, Bingo Master was an EP, which would make New Thing first single.
Oh come on, that really is splitting hairs. Most post-punk 'singles' of the era were EPs so the distinction is just silly. 
Without getting into a Slates style spat with you Accie, the EP is called Bingo-Master's Break Out!, and includes 3 tracks, one of which is called Bingo-Master. But yes, it is splitting hairs. You're right that there were a lot of EPs around though, which rather supports my point. I'd be on even stronger ground if it had, as originally intended, been a 4 tracker including Frightened, and that original intention does support my point.
Elitist Ponce
Quote
Share

Joined: Aug 7 2013, 06:36 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:15 PM #479

Fiery Jack has 3 songs but isn't referred to as an EP entitled "Fiery Jack".

*runs away*
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."
Quote
Share

Joined: Aug 7 2013, 06:36 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:16 PM #480

Ach, at this remove, who cares?

One of the things I hate about streaming/download culture where a single is one file with one song is that we've lost B-sides and EPs. The Fall were masters of the B-side and of the EP. Another reason for sadness at the loss.
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."
Quote
Share

sigma2
Member
Joined: Dec 17 2015, 02:47 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:16 PM #481

thehippriestess wrote:
sigma2 wrote:error
orror
😀 It was just an error posting, but in the larger scheme of things, 'error' is my response to his death. An error in the cosmic scheme of things which should not have happened. I'm taking it up with the relevant authorities.
 
Elitist Ponce
Quote
Share

sigma2
Member
Joined: Dec 17 2015, 02:47 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:20 PM #482

thehippriestess wrote: Ach, at this remove, who cares?
Aye, OK, fair play (but Slates is definitely an EP).
Elitist Ponce
Quote
Share

Joined: Aug 7 2013, 06:36 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:20 PM #483

sigma2 wrote:
thehippriestess wrote:
sigma2 wrote:error
orror
😀 It was just an error posting, but in the larger scheme of things, 'error' is my response to his death. An error in the cosmic scheme of things which should not have happened. I'm taking it up with the relevant authorities.
 
Same. I got a holding message saying that they're still backed up with D. Bowie lookalikes. They're now permeating the car park apparently. We'll need to up our game if we want a decent response.
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."
Quote
Share

sigma2
Member
Joined: Dec 17 2015, 02:47 PM

Feb 1 2018, 12:25 PM #484

thehippriestess wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
thehippriestess wrote:
sigma2 wrote:error
orror
😀 It was just an error posting, but in the larger scheme of things, 'error' is my response to his death. An error in the cosmic scheme of things which should not have happened. I'm taking it up with the relevant authorities.
 
Same. I got a holding message saying that they're still backed up with D. Bowie lookalikes. They're now permeating the car park apparently. We'll need to up our game if we want a decent response.
I was very disappointed
It was the government's fault
It was the fault of the government

edit: Michael Powell's A Matter of Life and Death comes to mind........
Elitist Ponce
Quote
Share

ado
Member
ado
Member
Joined: Jun 8 2004, 11:06 AM

Feb 1 2018, 01:28 PM #485

Quote
Share

Joined: Nov 25 2012, 07:22 PM

Feb 1 2018, 02:45 PM #486

sigma2 wrote:
academichamilton wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
GuyBoden wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote: ^^^

It is.


A decent and long piece by Jon Wilde:

Jon Wilde on We Are Cult
Quote "they had been my favourite group for five years, ever since the release of their wonderfully slapdash debut single, It’s The New Thing."

Good read, but fiction obscures the facts......
This has been said a few times. Arguably, Bingo Master was an EP, which would make New Thing first single.
Oh come on, that really is splitting hairs. Most post-punk 'singles' of the era were EPs so the distinction is just silly. 
Without getting into a Slates style spat with you Accie, the EP is called Bingo-Master's Break Out!, and includes 3 tracks, one of which is called Bingo-Master. But yes, it is splitting hairs. You're right that there were a lot of EPs around though, which rather supports my point. I'd be on even stronger ground if it had, as originally intended, been a 4 tracker including Frightened, and that original intention does support my point.
The whole thing is stupid because 'singles' have two tracks on anyway! Game over.

As for the quotation are we implying that the writer knew of Bingo Masters but dismissed it or whatever becuase it was an EP and is only interested in 'singles' and thefore that bceoms his benchmark? I very much doubt it. He just thinks 'It's the new thing' was the first thing they released.
Quote
Share

pro rae
Member
Joined: Mar 11 2012, 01:09 AM

Feb 1 2018, 03:33 PM #487

Don't know if it has been linked already but The Wire have an archive portal for M.E.S. related articles and interviews dating as far back as 1983:
The Wire and Mark E. Smith
chemical effluence

https://eklektoplasmblog.wordpress.com/ - a monthly mix of sounds
Quote
Share

GuyBoden
Member
Joined: Jan 26 2018, 08:42 AM

Feb 1 2018, 03:57 PM #488

academichamilton wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
academichamilton wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
GuyBoden wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote: ^^^

It is.


A decent and long piece by Jon Wilde:

Jon Wilde on We Are Cult
Quote "they had been my favourite group for five years, ever since the release of their wonderfully slapdash debut single, It’s The New Thing."

Good read, but fiction obscures the facts......
This has been said a few times. Arguably, Bingo Master was an EP, which would make New Thing first single.
Oh come on, that really is splitting hairs. Most post-punk 'singles' of the era were EPs so the distinction is just silly. 
Without getting into a Slates style spat with you Accie, the EP is called Bingo-Master's Break Out!, and includes 3 tracks, one of which is called Bingo-Master. But yes, it is splitting hairs. You're right that there were a lot of EPs around though, which rather supports my point. I'd be on even stronger ground if it had, as originally intended, been a 4 tracker including Frightened, and that original intention does support my point.
The whole thing is stupid because 'singles' have two tracks on anyway! Game over.

As for the quotation are we implying that the writer knew of Bingo Masters but dismissed it or whatever becuase it was an EP and is only interested in 'singles' and thefore that bceoms his benchmark? I very much doubt it. He just thinks 'It's the new thing' was the first thing they released.
My heart and I agree...........
Quote
Share

sigma2
Member
Joined: Dec 17 2015, 02:47 PM

Feb 1 2018, 04:25 PM #489

academichamilton wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
academichamilton wrote:
sigma2 wrote:
GuyBoden wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote: ^^^

It is.


A decent and long piece by Jon Wilde:

Jon Wilde on We Are Cult
Quote "they had been my favourite group for five years, ever since the release of their wonderfully slapdash debut single, It’s The New Thing."

Good read, but fiction obscures the facts......
This has been said a few times. Arguably, Bingo Master was an EP, which would make New Thing first single.
Oh come on, that really is splitting hairs. Most post-punk 'singles' of the era were EPs so the distinction is just silly. 
Without getting into a Slates style spat with you Accie, the EP is called Bingo-Master's Break Out!, and includes 3 tracks, one of which is called Bingo-Master. But yes, it is splitting hairs. You're right that there were a lot of EPs around though, which rather supports my point. I'd be on even stronger ground if it had, as originally intended, been a 4 tracker including Frightened, and that original intention does support my point.
The whole thing is stupid because 'singles' have two tracks on anyway! Game over.

As for the quotation are we implying that the writer knew of Bingo Masters but dismissed it or whatever becuase it was an EP and is only interested in 'singles' and thefore that bceoms his benchmark? I very much doubt it. He just thinks 'It's the new thing' was the first thing they released.
Oh, Accie. Yes, the writer was wrong. I was just trying to understand why several sources have referred to New Thing as the first single, and offer a plausible explanation. But this echo (of EP disputes) reminds me of the listening marathon of last August - I'm so glad I did that before it became a posthumous exercise.
Elitist Ponce
Quote
Share

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: May 11 2004, 03:28 PM

Feb 1 2018, 10:57 PM #490

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... e-own.html
They played Hit The North at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night, in memory of Mark E Smith of The Fall who died last week. The club tweeted its condolences on the day, too. Proper club, City. Proper people there. Anyway, enough of that. This column is going to feature no ribald anecdotes, quotes from the same five interviews, details of personal relationships or any of the other nonsense that has been flying around since last Wednesday. 
The best observation on Smith’s death came from Patrick Brill, the artist better known as Bob & Roberta Smith. He wrote: ‘All these bits of writing about by music journalists on Mark E Smith get him wrong. They think he was a maverick pop musician who drank too much. What he is more like is Eric Satie, Rousseau, Francis Bacon or Jarry. If you had met Turner, he was like Smith.’ 
Mark Smith had a unique voice, with a microphone and on the page, and a unique mind that powered a band that sounded like nothing else. There never was anything like him, and it’s hard to imagine there ever will be. No other music is getting a look in this week. Five points up next, after a song about a draconian Home Secretary, an injured hip and possibly the greatest bass line ever written. [Blindness]
Dan
Quote
Share

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: May 11 2004, 03:28 PM

Feb 2 2018, 10:43 AM #491

The Doctor will see you now:
Punk poet John Cooper Clarke is about to go on tour. Just don't expect him to perform, says Ashley Davies

"For me… poetry is music that's made out of language"

p.39 of today's Metro,  includes Clarke paying tribute to MES.  Will type up later.

Dan
Quote
Share

rtxvii
Member
rtxvii
Member
Joined: Nov 11 2005, 04:10 PM

Feb 2 2018, 04:39 PM #492

Apologies if this has been posted already (it didn't turn up on search).
A tribute post on the Ghostigital site. Talks about working with MES on the Not Clean single.
https://ghostigital.com/blog/mark-e-smith-rip
Quote
Share

ocelot
Member
ocelot
Member
Joined: Oct 2 2008, 01:58 AM

Feb 2 2018, 05:26 PM #493

FROM NME PRINT EDITION:


Quote
Share

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: May 11 2004, 03:28 PM

Feb 2 2018, 06:27 PM #494

dannyno wrote:The Doctor will see you now:
Punk poet John Cooper Clarke is about to go on tour. Just don't expect him to perform, says Ashley Davies

"For me… poetry is music that's made out of language"

p.39 of today's Metro,  includes Clarke paying tribute to MES.  Will type up later.

Dan
Text:
We just talked about s***, you know what I mean? "Have you seen this movie? Have you heard that record? Who's dead? What buildings have been knocked down?" Neighbourhood stuff. '

Punk poet Dr John Cooper Clarke is talking about the topics usually covered during pub chats with the late Mark E Smith, his old pal who came from the same part of Salford.

' We lost one of our great poets. I was a big admirer of his, and his lyrics certainly had an arcane poetical quality about them. Utterly unique, but always proper rock and roll.'
Dan
Quote
Share

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: May 11 2004, 03:28 PM

Feb 2 2018, 08:13 PM #495

I've got a copy of the Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion 31.01.2018 match programme.  Quite a bit of MES content:

20180202_192619.jpg 20180202_192634.jpg

20180202_192722.jpg

20180202_193439.jpg

20180202_193504.jpg

20180202_194131_001.jpg

20180202_194212.jpg
Dan
Quote
Share

johncoan
Member
Joined: Jun 18 2004, 11:12 PM

Feb 2 2018, 08:39 PM #496

Ah, Mark, man.... 😢
be-boxed focken clown
Quote
Share

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: Feb 4 2009, 10:07 PM

Feb 3 2018, 05:47 AM #497

I don't remember if I posted this already.  Memorial in local entertainment weekly.  Lameaases didn't see fit to include it in the print edition.

https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/i ... harmacist/
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Quote
Share

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: Dec 6 2003, 05:56 AM

Feb 3 2018, 06:03 AM #498

Can someone compile these personal tributes in a book (with permission of the poster)
I'd love these collected with pictures and art.
Like the orange and blue books
There's lots of crowd funded publishing now

hey ho

Quote
Share


Joined: Nov 25 2012, 07:22 PM

Feb 3 2018, 08:54 AM #500

Charles Keil once said that for music to be truly authentic it needs to be out of tune and out of time

Old school bluesmen would routinely tune their guitars 'out of tune'. But that is a misnomer. They tuned them to be perfectly in tune for the blues.
Quote
Share