dannyno
dannyno

Jan 28 2018, 09:28 PM #401

Stephen Mallinder (ex-Cabaret Voltaire):

Dan

Jan 28 2018, 09:33 PM #402

xxx
My brain is the most complex thing in the Universe. Hiccup said so.

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

'false bravado won't hide the cracks'

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 28 2018, 09:48 PM #403

Pavement!

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 28 2018, 09:49 PM #404

Spiral Stairs (out of Pavement - quote above might well be his originally):

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 28 2018, 09:56 PM #406

Andy Bell (Ride):

Dan

deselby
deselby

Jan 28 2018, 10:06 PM #407

marinade wrote: Also,

Not sure if this is already listed in the radio tributes section (I didn't see it), but S Hanley, Dave Simpson, Gareth Johns who did The Fall on Mastermind (sorry, don't know if he's on here?) and others were on 5 Live on Thursday.

Tony Livesey asks Gareth "Mark E. Smith - what did he stand for?", to which Gareth gives a lengthy and erudite answer. Unfortunately the question was actually "Mark E. Smith - what did 'E' stand for?"

Gave me a much-needed chuckle.

MES bit from about 2:37:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09nvpbf
Yes, I am on here. Yes, I didn't hear that question properly. I was very nervous, not every day you get a call from the BBC, out of the blue,  to come on the radio and talk about one of your heroes. Other than that I hope I gave a reasonably good account of myself and my love of MES. . 

marinade

Jan 28 2018, 10:48 PM #408

deselby wrote:

Not sure if this is already listed in the radio tributes section (I didn't see it), but S Hanley, Dave Simpson, Gareth Johns who did The Fall on Mastermind (sorry, don't know if he's on here?) and others were on 5 Live on Thursday.

Tony Livesey asks Gareth "Mark E. Smith - what did he stand for?", to which Gareth gives a lengthy and erudite answer. Unfortunately the question was actually "Mark E. Smith - what did 'E' stand for?"

Yes, I am on here. Yes, I didn't hear that question properly. I was very nervous, not every day you get a call from the BBC, out of the blue,  to come on the radio and talk about one of your heroes. Other than that I hope I gave a reasonably good account of myself and my love of MES. . 
You very much did! He was obviously positioning you as 'Fall Trivia Guy' with that question because of Mastermind, but I thought - given the reason for the whole segment - it was a slightly crass thing to do. Your response to what you thought he'd asked (which would have been a much more appropriate question) was great.

I did laugh - but at the absurdity and unlikeliness of him phrasing a question in such a precisely mis-hearable way, not at your expense.
Before The Fall - 24 Prelapsarian cuts! Compiled by me.

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 28 2018, 11:22 PM #409

Not seen this photo before, I think:

Dan

Jan 28 2018, 11:35 PM #410

johncoan

Jan 28 2018, 11:51 PM #411

oh wow - who IS that?
be-boxed focken clown

c_wilson

Jan 29 2018, 12:38 AM #412

johncoan wrote: oh wow - who IS that?
Formerly Alan Pillay/Pellay I do believe as the Twitter biography describes appearances in The Comic Strip and Eat the Rich. Appears at end of Eat Y'Self Fitter video (6:40 here: https://youtu.be/yFCOt6wbm80).

edit: I would do well to remind myself that Wikipedia is occasionally quite useful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Pillay#Disco_diva
Last edited by c_wilson on Jan 29 2018, 12:44 AM, edited 2 times in total.

johncoan

Jan 29 2018, 12:42 AM #413

Thanks!

Yes, of course! I remember MES saying he/she made him laugh. 

Such a sweet tribute.
be-boxed focken clown

deselby
deselby

Jan 29 2018, 07:40 AM #414

marinade wrote:
deselby wrote:

You very much did! He was obviously positioning you as 'Fall Trivia Guy' with that question because of Mastermind, but I thought - given the reason for the whole segment - it was a slightly crass thing to do. Your response to what you thought he'd asked (which would have been a much more appropriate question) was great.

I did laugh - but at the absurdity and unlikeliness of him phrasing a question in such a precisely mis-hearable way, not at your expense.
Thanks for that. I now feel less of a cloth eared pillock.

Jan 29 2018, 08:28 AM #415

Not the first place I’d have looked for a heartfelt tribute to the great man but worth a read as it’s clearly got the personal touch of a genuine disciple.
http://www.capecodtimes.com/entertainme ... -post-punk

Divvey
Divvey

Jan 29 2018, 09:34 AM #416

Rollin trainy

hey ho

Jan 29 2018, 09:39 AM #417

deselby wrote:
marinade wrote:
deselby wrote:

Thanks for that.  I now feel less of a cloth eared pillock.
It was fine - a good discussion. Livesey is a prick and I generally do not listen to the show because of him - they seem to think we are interested in their personal trivia. No idea who told them that. 

Jan 29 2018, 09:45 AM #418

Still processing the unwelcome news. R.I P. Mark E. Smith, a bona fide genius of rock & roll. A master of lyrical opacity tuned in to frequencies that others didn’t hear. An original, a maverick, a man who stayed true, not only to himself but his prole art muse. Partly because he was made that way, partly to piss off the slags and slates of Medialand GB. Despite the confrontational attitude, a fair and generous heart – be straight with him and he’d be straight with you. Belie yourself with guile or cliché, and his psychic antennae would quickly find you out. Not a man to trifle with, always preferred the red pills to the blue. Having said this, he did have a wicked sense of humour. Of course, he could be mean and curmudgeonly, even vicious when the mood took him – as he said last year in an interview, he could “clear a pub” when he wanted to. Proud of it as well, showed he hadn’t lost his edge, Mark the Manc and all that. First time I saw The Fall play live was at Manchester Poly in 1978. The last was in Aberdeen 2005, when I opened for them at The Lemon Tree. In between the first and last, my band Khmer Rouge supported them on several UK tour dates; my ex wife Marcia joined them on keyboards when Khmer Rouge split in 1986; Claus Castenskiold, ex drummer of Khmer Rouge, painted several of their album covers; Mark released my first solo single in 1989 on his label Cog Sinister (he fucked up the mix on the A side, but if he hadn’t given me a break and a bit of hope, I doubt I’d ever have escaped the Camden Town shooting gallery). So yeah, a long and sometimes “difficult” relationship – I guess the 60 + former band members have ambivalent feelings too. But at the end of the day his vision prevailed, influencing everyone from Sonic Youth to Pavement to Sleaford Mods. Not to mention tipping the wink to Post-rock, lo-fi, Industrial and Noise. Fiery Jack came up from Hell, and he never did go back to the slow life. Cheers, Mark, and thanks for everything.

Phil Shoenfelt, Prague

Jan 29 2018, 10:31 AM #419

Divvey wrote:

Rollin trainy

hey ho
That is fucking excellent

QueenPenda

Jan 29 2018, 10:53 AM #420

the real a distant relation wrote:
Divvey wrote:

Rollin trainy

hey ho
That is fucking excellent
Yep,that is absolutely superb.

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 29 2018, 11:31 AM #421

The Grammy Awards have an "In Memoriam" thing.   Several artists, including MES, were missed this year, which has caused a Twitter row that is proving more entertaining than the Awards themselves.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2018/01/28/gra ... s-tribute/

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 29 2018, 11:40 AM #422

http://www.dominorecordco.com/uk/news/2 ... rk-e-smith

Crows Feet Are Ingrained On My Face: A tribute to Mark E. Smith by Richard King.
CROWS FEET ARE INGRAINED ON MY FACE: A TRIBUTE TO MARK E. SMITH
THE FALL | 25/01/18

In 2010, following the success of the Von Südenfed record, it was agreed that Domino would release the next album by The Fall. I was charged with writing the biography for the release and was given a number to ring in order to speak with Mark E. Smith. Elena Poulou answered the phone and in the background I could hear a raucous noise I assumed to be the band rehearsing. Although this was unlikely as I was calling Mark and Elena at their home.

'Sorry,' Elena said as the noise increased in volume and now included laughter and animated shouting 'could you call tomorrow same time, it's not convenient'.
... etc

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 29 2018, 11:45 AM #423

An event.  

Sex & Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll: Tribute to Mark E. Smith

Sun 4 February 2018
11:00 – 13:00 GMT

Piccadilly Gardens
City Centre
Manchester
M1 1RG
DESCRIPTION

Sex? Hopefully.
Drugs? Probably.
Rock ‘n’ Roll? Usually.
All Three? Definitely … maybe, for Manchester is the party city, a hedonist’s dream, a dilettante’s delight. So spend a Saturday afternoon with a cocktail of excess and revelry drunk by those overdosing on their own egos and out to lunch in their own lifetimes. 

Here are tales of opium eating, million pound recording budgets blown up and out of the nose, and of once-revered men brought down by their libidos.
Yes, it’s the seamy, seedy, sleazy, sexy, sordid side of the music business with a cast list that includes Mark E. Smith, Barney, the Happy Mondays, those lovely Gallagher boys and the Unmentionable One.
Ed Glinert takes a walk on the wild side.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sex-drug ... 18?aff=es2

Ed Glinert is the author of The Manchester Compendium,  which has Fall content (including the back story to Wings, of course).

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 29 2018, 11:50 AM #424

Mark E. Smith’s Mantras of Disdain - Sacha Frere Jones, Village Voice:

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/01/25 ... f-disdain/

Dan

Jan 29 2018, 11:55 AM #425

Divvey wrote:

Rollin trainy

hey ho
Oh, my heart. That is beautiful. 💔
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."