Mark E Smith - tributes and obituaries (working on first post index)

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 27 2018, 06:58 PM #326

Did I do Coldcut earlier?

Dan

Saveloy

Jan 27 2018, 07:05 PM #328

SF Writer Alastair Reynolds, on his blog:

http://approachingpavonis.blogspot.co.u ... smith.html

Pott
Pott

Jan 27 2018, 07:20 PM #330

dannyno wrote: For anyone in Sheffield:

Dan
Just down the road from me, it would be stupid not to pop in, at least for a bit.
I'm not that type of wanker.

bzfgt
bzfgt

Jan 27 2018, 07:34 PM #331

Jan 27 2018, 07:48 PM #333

Band on the Wall have a nice tribute page and also this:
Upon delving in to the Band on the Wall archive, we unearthed a live audio recording of a performance from the band in 1978. The exact date of the performance is unclear, but The Fall played at the venue numerous times in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Listen to the full live recording below and join us in bidding a fond farewell to the great artist that was.
Not knowledgeable enough to know if this is truly unheard until now. Recording is rough but not bad.

https://bandonthewall.org/2018/01/a-tri ... k-e-smith/

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 27 2018, 08:43 PM #334

Kevin Buckle, Edinburgh Evening News, 27 January 2018.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-4673642

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 27 2018, 08:56 PM #335

Someone needs to get hold of this and scan it:

Dan

Stranger

Jan 27 2018, 09:16 PM #338

academichamilton wrote: Band on the Wall have a nice tribute page and also this:
Upon delving in to the Band on the Wall archive, we unearthed a live audio recording of a performance from the band in 1978. The exact date of the performance is unclear, but The Fall played at the venue numerous times in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Listen to the full live recording below and join us in bidding a fond farewell to the great artist that was.
Not knowledgeable enough to know if this is truly unheard until now. Recording is rough but not bad.

Not a bad recording...perhaps someone who knows them can persuade them to part with a lossless copy? Not sure much tarting up would make any discernible difference to it, but it being sped up by around 4% or so would help (it sounds about a tone or so too slow, judging by MES' voice and the key of the instruments).

Not bad for a 1978 recording at all!
celebrate the music of The Fall, forget the differences. The stereo Radio Lancs Clitheroe '85 recording...on an official LP from the master tape, please...Sheffield Sound City 93 on LP, Nottingham 1987, Glastonbury 2015...too. the more the merrier... DON'T BUY VEGETABLES WRAPPED IN PLASTIC...

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 27 2018, 09:30 PM #339

Might have had these.

Text (facebook):
R.I.P. Mark E Smith...Some of the saddest news I've had to share in a long, long time. We worked with Mark on three great albums in the 80s & early 90s. I found him to be one of the most astute people in the music game and a true descendant of the writers of the long English eccentric tradition. I swear that oftentimes I thought that he was the illegitimate son of Anthony Burgess. Cheers, cock
and

Text in full from facebook (all public posts):
And here's a good , pleasant Mark E. Smith memory. We were recording a Fall album at the Virgin Manor Studio back around 1989 or so.The Manor was a residential studio where the band stayed over in housing on the site of the studio while they were recording. One night after the day's sessions Mark, Cassell and I were indulging in a bit of an exploration of vintage single year Scotch whiskey while we were watching a new sort of TV that Richard Branson had installed at the studio. it was a satellite thing that picked up transmissions from around the world including news feeds from sources to various networks. On one feed we saw a story about a visit of an extremely tall alien who had descended on a Russian town in his spaceship and had walked around checking out the local scene and populace. It was quite a calm scene. Mark went ballistic when he saw it and immediately started calling Russia , more specifically, TASS which was the Russian news agency at the time to confirm the story. He was firmly convinced that it was proof of the story behind "Nommos"(Mollusc In Tyrol). After a number of tries he eventually got through to someone on the night desk at the Agency. When he inquired about the story he was told "We are TASS and we don't make things up. Of course the story is
true". Mark was satisfied-relayed the info to me and said "There you have it. That's proof".
There are quite a few interesting nuggets on Craig Leon's facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/Craigleonmusic
One more small MES story. We made a rather obscure EP one weekend. CW, MES and me in a studio in London. Mark had a long suffering A&R man named Alan Pell who was the butt of his jokes incessantly (as an A&R man for a corporate label should be). In anycase we were doing a song that Mark was going on about lyrically about a small child who as was a sort of Machenesque child/demon being. The song went on and we were waiting for the punch line. After a long pregnant pause Mark comes out with "and he looks like........and he looks like.....and he looks like....Alan Pell." Great lyrics. i can't remember the name of the song.
Actually Alan deserves a lot of credit for bringing the Fall and their label Cog Sinister into Phonogram back then. It takes a bit of daring to do something like that. He couldn't have done it without the mad genius of his A&R boss David Bates who also brought Scott Walker back to the label. I almost had David convinced of two projects that I made up one afternoon but sadly they didn't go through. One was a Fall and newly signed to Phonogram band Can collaboration record. The other was something John Cale and I dreamed up over a coffee in Soho one day that involved Van Dyke Parks and Ezra Pound lyrics as well. I think that Ezra Pound was the element that rang alarm bells with A&R honchodom.
Bruce Davies Hi Craig, was it Shift Work that we recorded at The Mill, with Mark recording a vocal one night while standing in the mill stream?! RIP
Craig Leon We recorded a lot of material at the studio. It ended up on two or three different albums and various EPs and singles. if it was the one about Sadam Hussien I think it ended up on Shiftwork. There was also a bunch of material that we did out in the garden room that we had commandeered,
Bruce Davies Great memory (and memories) Craig... Saddam was definitely one of the tracks; not sure we managed a useable take from the mill stream, but it was fun trying, and typified his idiosyncratic approach to music. We won’t see his type again, god bless him.

Dan

Kentaro

Jan 27 2018, 09:46 PM #340

Band of Susans FB

Last edited by dannyno on Jan 27 2018, 09:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected link

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 27 2018, 10:01 PM #341

Also found this public comment on Robert Poss's FB page:
Robert Poss I must confess that the only time I saw The Fall was at the (1983?) Speed Trials at White Columns. I understand that there may they been a few personnel changes after that lineup. I count some Fall recording as some of my all time favorite records.
Dan

Jan 27 2018, 10:29 PM #342

bzfgt wrote:
is that a tribute or obituary?

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 27 2018, 10:42 PM #343

microplastering wrote:
bzfgt wrote:
I think reflections and responses are legitimate to include here, and this one is from a Rolling Stone contributor in response to Jes Skolnik's Pitchfork article.  bzfgt quotes it starting at the wrong place, really - it's Reeves' reaction to originally hearing The Classical and to now reading tributes to MES which mention this song without mentioning the controversial lyrics.  Legitimate point, but it fits better as a clear response to the Skolnik article rather than as a standalone comment, really.

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 27 2018, 10:43 PM #344

Kentaro wrote: Band of Susans FB

I like Venn diagrams.  This one has cropped up in a few places, but I think it is flawed.  I think it lets Salvador Dali off lightly for his support for Franco, to be honest.   

Dan

elucidus

Jan 28 2018, 12:02 AM #345

Match Of The Day have just done a nice tribute ... a cut up of MES reading the football results to reflect the cup scores today.
It was all for the best. All of it.

Jan 28 2018, 12:05 AM #346

Stranger wrote:
academichamilton wrote: Band on the Wall have a nice tribute page and also this:

Not a bad recording...perhaps someone who knows them can persuade them to part with a lossless copy? Not sure much tarting up would make any discernible difference to it, but it being sped up by around 4% or so would help (it sounds about a tone or so too slow, judging by MES' voice and the key of the instruments).

Not bad for a 1978 recording at all!
Yeah I thought it sounded like it was pitched a little too low / slow

Jan 28 2018, 12:42 AM #347

dannyno wrote: Not seen this interview before:

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/0 ... -from-1988

Dan
Oh I remember that one. In fact I think I'm interviewed in that same issue. Weird.

bzfgt
bzfgt

Jan 28 2018, 05:14 AM #348

dannyno wrote:
microplastering wrote:
bzfgt wrote:
I think reflections and responses are legitimate to include here, and this one is from a Rolling Stone contributor in response to Jes Skolnik's Pitchfork article.  bzfgt quotes it starting at the wrong place, really - it's Reeves' reaction to originally hearing The Classical and to now reading tributes to MES which mention this song without mentioning the controversial lyrics.  Legitimate point, but it fits better as a clear response to the Skolnik article rather than as a standalone comment, really.

Dan
Yeah I linked a page that had the whole tweety thing going but for some reason it only came out with that bit and I couldn't be bothered to try to get the rest of it. That is the gist, anyway--he likes the music but feels alienated by the "obligatory" line.

dannyno
dannyno

Jan 28 2018, 08:39 AM #349

PH is talking about this sad Tweet:

Dan

Jan 28 2018, 09:31 AM #350

In 2008 I dragged my friend, the former Sky News sports presenter Chris Skudder to his first proper (ie non-festival) Fall gig at the O2 in Oxford. This is the  piece he wrote about the experience for the Sky Arts website:

http://tinyurl.com/lbukjk7
Twitter @GreatFaceRadio