Mark E Smith - tributes and obituaries (working on first post index)

bzfgt
bzfgt

26 Jan 2018, 23:03 #251

dannyno
dannyno

26 Jan 2018, 23:32 #252

Evil Blizzard, from their Facebook page:
Evil Blizzard
24 January at 20:06 · Preston · 

You wouldn't be reading this if it wasn't for Mark E Smith. He saw us when we were playing to 15 people on a monday night and invited us to go on tour with the Fall. 
On the second night he asked if we got paid for the previous gig. 'No' we said 'but it's ok, we got a great gig, some guests in and beers so no need'.
'You need paying lads' he said as he pulled his wallet out and gave us £300 of his own money. 'Always get paid'.
We spent the money off that tour on our first album which we recorded with The Fall's sound engineer producing it.
So; blame Mark. 
One of a kind, for sure.
Dan

dannyno
dannyno

26 Jan 2018, 23:57 #254

GQ magazine.  Yep.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/mark-e-smith-dead

by Kevin Perry.  I like the opening:
The barmaid at Gulliver’s, on Oldham Street in Manchester, spotted Mark E Smith walking in with me and had poured out a pair of double whiskeys before we reached the bar. That still left the question of what I was going to drink.
Dan

Circus Money

27 Jan 2018, 00:47 #255

Nice touch on tonights edition of 'The Last Leg' on Channel 4. The presenter Adam Hills had a picture of Mark on his desk throughout the program.
Sometimes life just bounces so you don't get worried at all.

27 Jan 2018, 00:51 #256

Circus Money wrote: Nice touch on tonights edition of 'The Last Leg' on Channel 4. The presenter Adam Hills had a picture of Mark on his desk throughout the program.
I hope it was a picture of him in his wheelchair. 
My brain is the most complex thing in the Universe. Hiccup said so.

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

'false bravado won't hide the cracks'

rossmorgan158

27 Jan 2018, 00:56 #257

Kay Bateman (née Carrol... Kay Carroll love) posted the best tribute to Mark. She gave me permission to post it here:

It's been a long couple of days now since the news of the shocking death of The Smith... my head forever spinning with triggers, travels, and lyrics. So much so that I have felt compelled to say something that would be both anecdotal and amusing, but not surprisingly, I struggled to find some stories that would encompass both of them at the same time. He was, to me, quite simply an enigma. I have thought of many stories over those seven or so years we spent together, as his friend, his lover, cohort, and manager of The Fall. Some very personal reminiscences, some totally Fall business and/or combinations of both, and although most of them started off as really interesting and amusing, they would however end up making me angry and pissed off. It is the nature of the beast I suppose. So for the prevention, I think, for my sanity, and his dignity, it feels appropriate to tell of the last meeting Mark and I had, and it’s the word Serendipity that springs to mind...
      I was visiting England for three weeks in the summer of 2011. I’d been thinking of trying to make contact with him once I got to Manchester. I still had some unresolved issues with him that I wanted to address, but had been warned by more than a few people that he had become quite the recluse, and tended not to answer his calls; both phone and door. So I thought, ah well screw it,why bother? The day after I had arrived, I was showing my daughter and now ex- husband around Prestwich village. We had just come out of a thrift store near the Foresters. I turned around, and there at the bus stop, six feet away stood himself. My family went off in a different direction, so I walked over to him, and with that iconic plastic shopping bag in hand, I said "Hiya Mark." I think I kind of stunned him a little at first. It had been some time since we last met (New York 86). He said "I thought you were living in America." I said "I still am." “What you doing here then?" he said. "Oh I decided to come back and kill you." I said with a straight face, and held the comment there for a few seconds, then burst out laughing. He laughed too, but it was obvious to me, he still wasn't sure. Anyway we exchanged some pleasantries. He said he was off to Berlin in a couple of days but would be back in two weeks and to give him a ring, and we could meet up then. I asked, and he gave me his phone number as the bus was fast approaching. He got on it, shouting "Call!" and he was gone.
     Two weeks later, my US family returned back to the States so I could spend the last week or so with my UK family and friends. Time to give Mark a call. Of course I got voice mail. I left a message and not surprisingly, no response. I did that another couple of times over the next 2 days and pondered to myself, “Maybe I really have come back to kill him.” Finally I decided to hell with it and moseyed over to his house in Sedgley Park and knocked on his door. There was a rustling of the blinds at the side of the bay window. I knocked again, but still nobody came to the door. I opened the letter box and shouted “I know you're in there ya daft sod! Open the bloody door!” His voice echoed back, and he came out with some crazy ramblings on why he couldn't open the door, and our conversation continued through the letterbox. So after a few more choice comments from me, I angrily retorted back through the letterbox "OK have a good life!! and walked away. Over the years, in retrospect, I have found myself laughing out loud every time I think of our letterbox meeting. Anyway, that day, a little pissed off, I just shook it off, got on the bus and went back to the village. I thought I would drop by The Foresters to see if any old friends were in there. I had just stepped inside the lounge, through the back door, when my cell phone went off. It was Mark. "Sorry about that. Wanna meet at the Woodthorpe on Friday?” So we did.
     It was a beautiful summer evening, and there he was, sat outside on the patio of the Woodthorpe. Pint in hand, as though he had been waiting there for years. Nothing seemed to have changed.We looked at each other. He stood up. We smiled and hugged. He offered to buy me a drink, but I wasn't sure how he would react after I told him I had been in sobriety since 2006, (still am). As per usual, Mark surprised me. He didn't say a word. No put downs. No smart arsed comments. Nothing. He just offered to buy me a non alcoholic drink and a few more after that, and those momentary thoughts, previously of killing him, just drifted away.
     We talked about his dad, especially knowing this pub was his dads local, and who had since passed away. If you knew Mark, you knew his dad, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I asked, and we talked about his mum and his sisters who he loved a lot, and of course the freakin music biz, which was spoken by us both, with its usual passion and chagrin. He seemed even more disillusioned than ever. Obviously due to the arrival of the internet, with its downloads, copyright infringements, and such. We spoke of and reminded ourselves, with lots of laughter of "what happened to…” conversations, and of all of those characters, both friends and foes, who had drifted in and out of our lives all those years ago.We also spoke of the ones who were with him now, and his plans, and ideas and of course those sardonic perceptions of his. It felt like time had just stood still for me. I got my issues resolved, and I flashed back to remembering the love, the magic, and intensity of just being together. Before I left, I thanked him for getting me involved, as well as other things including becoming the manager of The Fall, even though I knew he had some ulterior motives.We laughed at the way in which he had finally coerced me into the “job” by saying "You can be like, Faye Dunaway in Network.” Mmmm, I think I got close, but I think I was a little more sensitive, and had softer edges than Diana Christensen.
     There were no regrets from each of us, and we told each other. So, I called a cab, and told him I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and how amazing things seem to have worked out. "Great seeing you Kay" he said. "Same here, Mark.” I offered him a ride when the cab arrived, but he said "No, I like to walk". It was the last thing he said to me and then we laughed again. One final hug and kiss. The exorcism was over.
He was supposed to come to New York with The Fall this February. My friend Katy, who rescued me back in Boston when I walked away from the band in 83, had tickets lined up for us, and I was going to fly out,but it got cancelled due to his poor health.
     You were a complex character my friend. Unwavering, a brilliant writer of prose and poetry. A visionary. You perceived things that not many people could see, let alone wanted to see.You were at times so funny and loving, and yet could be so infuriating, hard arsed, and yes cruel, but you also knew how to turn on the charm and reset the bar, and it changed people, and for me, it was for the better. There was nobody quite like you MES. A true Northern soul, and I felt this world change when you left on the 24th. The old paradigm just shattered into a thousand pieces. Poof! Gone! So now it’s time to create a new one, and I know you would want that, in whatever form it came in. In fact you would insist upon it. So my old friend, farewell. You gave it everything you had babe, and more. And for myself I thank you for all those wake up calls, and to also listening to mine too.
With love and kick ass always your friend K xxx

Grimo

27 Jan 2018, 01:12 #258

rossmorgan158 wrote: Kay Bateman (née Carrol... Kay Carroll love) posted the best tribute to Mark. She gave me permission to post it here:

It's been a long couple of days now since the news of the shocking death of The Smith... my head forever spinning with triggers, travels, and lyrics. So much so that I have felt compelled to say something that would be both anecdotal and amusing, but not surprisingly, I struggled to find some stories that would encompass both of them at the same time. He was, to me, quite simply an enigma. I have thought of many stories over those seven or so years we spent together, as his friend, his lover, cohort, and manager of The Fall. Some very personal reminiscences, some totally Fall business and/or combinations of both, and although most of them started off as really interesting and amusing, they would however end up making me angry and pissed off. It is the nature of the beast I suppose. So for the prevention, I think, for my sanity, and his dignity, it feels appropriate to tell of the last meeting Mark and I had, and it’s the word Serendipity that springs to mind...
      I was visiting England for three weeks in the summer of 2011. I’d been thinking of trying to make contact with him once I got to Manchester. I still had some unresolved issues with him that I wanted to address, but had been warned by more than a few people that he had become quite the recluse, and tended not to answer his calls; both phone and door. So I thought, ah well screw it,why bother? The day after I had arrived, I was showing my daughter and now ex- husband around Prestwich village. We had just come out of a thrift store near the Foresters. I turned around, and there at the bus stop, six feet away stood himself. My family went off in a different direction, so I walked over to him, and with that iconic plastic shopping bag in hand, I said "Hiya Mark." I think I kind of stunned him a little at first. It had been some time since we last met (New York 86). He said "I thought you were living in America." I said "I still am." “What you doing here then?" he said. "Oh I decided to come back and kill you." I said with a straight face, and held the comment there for a few seconds, then burst out laughing. He laughed too, but it was obvious to me, he still wasn't sure. Anyway we exchanged some pleasantries. He said he was off to Berlin in a couple of days but would be back in two weeks and to give him a ring, and we could meet up then. I asked, and he gave me his phone number as the bus was fast approaching. He got on it, shouting "Call!" and he was gone.
     Two weeks later, my US family returned back to the States so I could spend the last week or so with my UK family and friends. Time to give Mark a call. Of course I got voice mail. I left a message and not surprisingly, no response. I did that another couple of times over the next 2 days and pondered to myself, “Maybe I really have come back to kill him.” Finally I decided to hell with it and moseyed over to his house in Sedgley Park and knocked on his door. There was a rustling of the blinds at the side of the bay window. I knocked again, but still nobody came to the door. I opened the letter box and shouted “I know you're in there ya daft sod! Open the bloody door!” His voice echoed back, and he came out with some crazy ramblings on why he couldn't open the door, and our conversation continued through the letterbox. So after a few more choice comments from me, I angrily retorted back through the letterbox "OK have a good life!! and walked away. Over the years, in retrospect, I have found myself laughing out loud every time I think of our letterbox meeting. Anyway, that day, a little pissed off, I just shook it off, got on the bus and went back to the village. I thought I would drop by The Foresters to see if any old friends were in there. I had just stepped inside the lounge, through the back door, when my cell phone went off. It was Mark. "Sorry about that. Wanna meet at the Woodthorpe on Friday?” So we did.
     It was a beautiful summer evening, and there he was, sat outside on the patio of the Woodthorpe. Pint in hand, as though he had been waiting there for years. Nothing seemed to have changed.We looked at each other. He stood up. We smiled and hugged. He offered to buy me a drink, but I wasn't sure how he would react after I told him I had been in sobriety since 2006, (still am). As per usual, Mark surprised me. He didn't say a word. No put downs. No smart arsed comments. Nothing. He just offered to buy me a non alcoholic drink and a few more after that, and those momentary thoughts, previously of killing him, just drifted away.
     We talked about his dad, especially knowing this pub was his dads local, and who had since passed away. If you knew Mark, you knew his dad, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I asked, and we talked about his mum and his sisters who he loved a lot, and of course the freakin music biz, which was spoken by us both, with its usual passion and chagrin. He seemed even more disillusioned than ever. Obviously due to the arrival of the internet, with its downloads, copyright infringements, and such. We spoke of and reminded ourselves, with lots of laughter of "what happened to…” conversations, and of all of those characters, both friends and foes, who had drifted in and out of our lives all those years ago.We also spoke of the ones who were with him now, and his plans, and ideas and of course those sardonic perceptions of his. It felt like time had just stood still for me. I got my issues resolved, and I flashed back to remembering the love, the magic, and intensity of just being together. Before I left, I thanked him for getting me involved, as well as other things including becoming the manager of The Fall, even though I knew he had some ulterior motives.We laughed at the way in which he had finally coerced me into the “job” by saying "You can be like, Faye Dunaway in Network.” Mmmm, I think I got close, but I think I was a little more sensitive, and had softer edges than Diana Christensen.
     There were no regrets from each of us, and we told each other. So, I called a cab, and told him I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and how amazing things seem to have worked out. "Great seeing you Kay" he said. "Same here, Mark.” I offered him a ride when the cab arrived, but he said "No, I like to walk". It was the last thing he said to me and then we laughed again. One final hug and kiss. The exorcism was over.
He was supposed to come to New York with The Fall this February. My friend Katy, who rescued me back in Boston when I walked away from the band in 83, had tickets lined up for us, and I was going to fly out,but it got cancelled due to his poor health.
     You were a complex character my friend. Unwavering, a brilliant writer of prose and poetry. A visionary. You perceived things that not many people could see, let alone wanted to see.You were at times so funny and loving, and yet could be so infuriating, hard arsed, and yes cruel, but you also knew how to turn on the charm and reset the bar, and it changed people, and for me, it was for the better. There was nobody quite like you MES. A true Northern soul, and I felt this world change when you left on the 24th. The old paradigm just shattered into a thousand pieces. Poof! Gone! So now it’s time to create a new one, and I know you would want that, in whatever form it came in. In fact you would insist upon it. So my old friend, farewell. You gave it everything you had babe, and more. And for myself I thank you for all those wake up calls, and to also listening to mine too.

Rossmorgan. Thanks for posting this. It is beautiful.

Divvey
Divvey

27 Jan 2018, 01:39 #259

Thanks. That's an extraordinary piece

hey ho

27 Jan 2018, 01:44 #260

rossmorgan158 wrote: Kay Bateman (née Carrol... Kay Carroll love) posted the best tribute to Mark. She gave me permission to post it here:

That is beautiful. I'm reminded of what Brix wrote in the Guardian (I imagine- without evidence -as a retort to all the fucking 'I had a drink with Mark once and we were like mates' obituaries): "A lot of people claimed to have known him, but they didn’t really know him. I fucking knew him. He was my husband"

c_wilson

27 Jan 2018, 01:44 #261

Exquisite. Brings a wet eye to a wet head.

'Get ready for old stories', he said...

Pott
Pott

27 Jan 2018, 01:45 #262

Grimo wrote:

Rossmorgan. Thanks for posting this. It is beautiful.
That really brought it home for me.
I'm not that type of wanker.

misterrogers

27 Jan 2018, 01:57 #263

Wow.  

If you knew Mark you knew his dad...

Exceptional...

Stranger

27 Jan 2018, 02:44 #264

the real a distant relation wrote:

That is beautiful. I'm reminded of what Brix wrote in the Guardian (I imagine- without evidence -as a retort to all the fucking 'I had a drink with Mark once and we were like mates' obituaries): "A lot of people claimed to have known him, but they didn’t really know him. I fucking knew him. He was my husband"
Personally I think there's room for both kinds of reminiscences, and with respect I'm in no hurry to knock anyone for either that are offered up.

People are deeply affected, and I don't think anyone is going to try to gain cred from saying they knew MES / met him/ had a drink with him once...I honestly feel the vast majority of reminscences like this (if not all) are people simply marvelling on the impression he made on them (good, or at the time, bad), and telling it their way.

It's human nature to contextualise it, mentioning how they met him / bumped into him, by way of introduction.
BBC...Clitheroe Castle....The Fall...1985...please...

27 Jan 2018, 02:55 #265

Stranger wrote:

Personally I think there's room for both kinds of reminiscences, and with respect I'm in no hurry to knock anyone for either that are offered up.

People are deeply affected, and I don't think anyone is going to try to gain cred from saying they knew MES / met him/ had a drink with him once...I honestly feel the vast majority of reminscences like this (if not all) are people simply marvelling on the impression he made on them (good, or at the time, bad), and telling it their way.

It's human nature to contextualise it, mentioning how they met him / bumped into him, by way of introduction.
Yeah, fair point and I've already been thinking about it - part of me feels bad for feeling this way ... but that's how I feel. I just so want him to be recognised for his genius, not just being 'a bit of a character', 'rogue/boozer/eccentric' stereotype. And although I agree with you that not all are trying to gain 'cred', I feel fairly strongly that a couple I have read are along those lines.

But you're absolutely right, everyone has the right to mourn however they wish so I will let it lie

Btw none of this applies to anyone on FOF - I'm talking about things I've read elsewhere online

Stranger

27 Jan 2018, 02:58 #266

Lloyd Cole.

" Lloyd Cole‏Verified account @Lloyd_Cole Jan 25

My personal favourite incarnation of The Fall. "

(Cruiser's creek)
https://twitter.com/Lloyd_Cole

Stranger

27 Jan 2018, 03:12 #267

" Psychedelic Furs‏Verified account @pfurs Jan 24

R.I.P. Mark E. Smith"

New Order page
- New Order Retweeted NME‏Verified account @NME Jan 24
"

rijkard

27 Jan 2018, 03:55 #268

The Friday Nite Showdown! 10PM - 12AM CST
WLUW 88.7FM or stream live @wluw.org

Tune in tonight for our big Mark E Smith send off special!!

legendary Chicago D.J , record collector and long time friend of MES, Terry Nelson starting in 5 minutes and streaming live

27 Jan 2018, 04:14 #269

Brix and Kay have both done him proud.
Very moving tributes with extraordinary insight into the artist and the man.

Kentaro

27 Jan 2018, 06:02 #270

From Facebook

Kid Congo Powers

Sad to see you go Mark E. Smith. One of the all time music greats. We had some fun. ALL HAIL! .... "If you go for a walk on the other side of LA, this is what it's like. The LA streets used to interest me. I used to split off from the missus [Brix Smith] when I stayed there and go see people like Kid Congo on the other side of town. Me and him used to tear the place apart. There's the arty side of LA, there's the film section of LA, and then there's this section that makes Salford look sophisticated. They'd be living in these flats where the big old Hollywood stars used to live, only now they were wrecked. There are all these people there that don't want to conform. Claude [Bessy - aka punk rock journalist Kickboy Face] was like that. Good people."

Jon Langford

The Mekons blagged our way into a Captain Beefheart gig in Manchester in 1980 and the Fall were in the row behind us - we sniffed & narrowed our eyes like doggies and maintained our distance... over the years I've become good mates with quite a few of the Fall people but never MES - He always made a point of saying how much he hated the Mekons and I imagine it would piss him off to have me say how much I love his music and enjoyed his unshakable Mancunian refusal to be anything other than himself - RIP Mark

The alleged gig of the century!? Mark Perry and his Good Missionaries were recruited to go on first cos nobody else would. Some idiot jumped onstage and thumped MES during the Fall set and Mark complained bitterly afterwards that we Mekons didn't condemn this outrage during our set but that would have been tricky cos we went on before them...

Chris Desjardins

Mark E. Smith RIP. I can't remember how I became friendly with Mark Smith, but it had to have had something to do with my writing for Slash magazine and the positive reviews Claude'Kickboy'Bessy and I always gave The Fall's records. In fact, everybody who wrote for Slash loved The Fall. I know I was already working at the record company in '81 when The Flesh Eaters opened up for The Fall and Blurt at Myron's Ballroom in downtown L.A. in that summer. I'm pretty certain that was the last live gig for the "Minute to Pray..." line-up until our 2006 shows. Below is a photo taken by Gary Leonard after everyone had played their sets. A dour Fall frontman and an unusually cheerful Flesh Eaters frontman. We were all shitfaced, but Mark, per usual was way ahead of all of the rest of us. I kept in touch with Mark through postcards and letters. I have the image emblazoned in my mind of a beautiful card he sent me of a snow-covered church in Iceland with a volcano spurting lava a mile or so behind it in the background pasted to my Slash Records office wall until I left the job in early 1984. Surprisingly Divine Horsemen got on the bill with the Fall (w/ Mark's approval) when they played the Palace in Hollywood in, what was it? 1985? -'86? Brix had joined the band and was singing backup as well as playing keyboards, if I'm not mistaken. Believe it or not, the bands meshed surprisingly well together. I was a big fan of The Fall and especially Mark's brilliant, surreal, absurdly funny lyrics, from "Bingo Master's Breakout" (one of my favorite song titles ever) and "Psycho Mafia" onward. I played the LPs "Live at the Witch Trials,""Hex Enduction Hour," "Grotesque," and "Dragnet" incessantly, though kind of lost touch with Mark and his music in the early 1990s. We saw each other for the last time in 1997 or '98 when Lydia Lunch kindly asked me to join her and Mark at a poetry/prose reading at The Knitting Factory in Hollywood. I was newly sober. I may have been paranoid, but I had a feeling my sobriety may have caused some uneasy moments between us. As always with Mark, it was hard to tell. We were both socially awkward. I'd been reading about his health problems in recent years, and I knew this day was probably coming sooner than later. It makes me sad I did not get to ever talk to him again. I hope he's resting easy. A brilliant, funny, acidic, cantankerous, sometimes-impossible-to-get-along-with person.

dannyno
dannyno

27 Jan 2018, 08:59 #271

Stranger wrote:

Yeah, fair point and I've already been thinking about it - part of me feels bad for feeling this way ... but that's how I feel. I just so want him to be recognised for his genius, not just being 'a bit of a character', 'rogue/boozer/eccentric' stereotype. And although I agree with you that not all are trying to gain 'cred', I feel fairly strongly that a couple I have read are along those lines.

But you're absolutely right, everyone has the right to mourn however they wish so I will let it lie

Btw none of this applies to anyone on FOF - I'm talking about things I've read elsewhere online
I noticed some people didn't like the Channel 4 feature.  I liked it - while recognising its limitations - because I thought Krishnan did recognise why MES was significant and important, while not shying away from the more difficult aspects of his life.

There are some parodies out there of some of the more solipsistic or absurd journalistic tributes.  Kind of "Oh, yeah, I will always remember my mate Mark E Smith. The last time we met he gouged my eye out with a screwdriver and poured whisky into the exposed socket.  Genius!"  sort of stuff.   I'll try and find some good ones, they're part of this story too.

Dan

Neal Cassady

27 Jan 2018, 09:17 #272

Thanks for posting the Kay Carroll piece, rossmorgan.
Heartwarming stuff.
I'm not that good at smoking bongs, I'm not that good at breathing in.

johncoan

27 Jan 2018, 09:25 #273

I thought I was out of tears, but Kay's tribute....a beautiful, heartfelt piece.
be-boxed focken clown

IanMcC

27 Jan 2018, 09:40 #274

Just wanted to echo the sentiments earlier congratulating dannyno on setting up this thread.
Hurrah for Mix It Up.

huh
huh

27 Jan 2018, 10:25 #275

Nice to read Kay Carroll's, and the word 'visionary'; i've not noticed that being said anywhere yet, but it's important.

I don't think we've had this, by David Southwell who presides over 'Hookland':