Mark E Smith - tributes and obituaries (working on first post index)

Joined: 26 Jan 2018, 04:57

26 Jan 2018, 11:04 #226

the very famous sports reporter wrote: https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/mu ... ssion=true

I particularly enjoyed this observation: "Smith wrote like a vorticist Les Dawson, gazing through the hole in the outside lavvy roof at the abyssal horrors beyond, simultaneously funny and terrifying."
Really like this one
Reply

Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 19:22

26 Jan 2018, 11:12 #227

the real a distant relation wrote:
the very famous sports reporter wrote: https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/mu ... ssion=true

I particularly enjoyed this observation: "Smith wrote like a vorticist Les Dawson, gazing through the hole in the outside lavvy roof at the abyssal horrors beyond, simultaneously funny and terrifying."
Really like this one
Yes, the best I've read I think.
Reply

Joined: 16 Jun 2014, 20:56

26 Jan 2018, 11:39 #228

Mike Clapham on FB:

"Mark E Smith passed away this morning. It's starting to filter out now and there's going to be loads said over the coming days and weeks. Everyone always asks what he's like waiting for you to say what a bastard he is but he was nothing but nice to me. Supportive, got me involved in everything even though I was only in for a few months and even got me a Christmas present.
The fact he played those final gigs and Glasgow especially, which was an amazing vocal performance, shot him incredibly high in my estimation.
I know a lot of professionally funny people but he was one of the funniest people I've ever met and chuffed to have been even a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of the story of a band like no other.
My thoughts are with the other lads cos despite all the jokes about line-ups it was like joining a family and they were together for over 10 years.
Should add that Pam our manager and his girlfriend and all the band were so supportive even when I was making horrendous noises over their gigs. Getting a "that was alright that Mike" was like getting the 'ok' sign from Brian Clough"
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

26 Jan 2018, 12:11 #229

Neville Wilding, from the Daily Post (a North Wales paper):

Mark was an amazing, bright man ... being in The Fall was bedlam from day one;
N.Wales Bandmate's Tribute to Rock Legend
by Kelly Williams, 26 January p16
ONE of the many former bandmates of The Fall's Mark E. Smith has paid tribute to "an amazing, bright man."

Guitarist and composer, Neville Wilding, who had three fights with the frontman of the cult post-punk band on the first night he met him, remembered the "hip priest" who died earlier this week aged 60.

Neville, from Rhyl, who is the brother of actor, Spencer Wilding, played with the band for four years from 1998.

He recalled how he found himself unexpectedly thrown into a world of "bedlam" with the abrasive, prolific, mastermind behind the hugely influential band who was known for his spiky, snarling performances and uncompromising sound.

Speaking to the Daily Post from his home in London, musician Neville said: "The Fall had just got back from New York and were preparing for a live performance at Shepherd's Bush as part of the BBC John Peel sessions.

"A girl I was seeing was the sound engineer and she called me to say they were about to go live, and all they had was Mark and some lyrics and asked if I could get down there and sort it out.

"I arrived and met Mark who told me he had lyrics to five songs that he was to sing in half an hour, and asked if I could write the music for them.

"It was intense to go out live with songs I'd only just written music for.

"Somehow I managed to do it and Mark turned to me and said, 'I've just seen the new album,' and booked a recording studio the next day.

"I had my own band at the time and had just got a new deal, I'd already turned down The Prodigy and told Mark couldn't be in the band.

"But a few months later, he invited me to one of his gigs in Bristol to hear my songs being played.

"The next thing he called me up on stage to perform them.

"That night, the bass player had run off with someone's girlfriend and all our equipment got nicked.

"It was bedlam from day one, but I just thought, let's do this, and immediately afterwards, we were touring Britain, Europe and all the festivals."

Neville was once best man for Mark at one of his weddings and said they had a tight bond from day one.

"We had three fights on the first night we met but then we sat up all night talking, we were instantly on the same page," he said.

"He may have been a naughty boy but he was dead honest and dead straight, he was an amazing man."

Neville said he last saw Mark in 2016 when he dropped by to play him some music he'd written for Babyshambles and said that he had expressed an interest about singing on a track.

The pair had also talked about collaborating on some music together.

Neville said: "It came as a total shock to hear of Mark's death. It's really sad.

"Whenever he'd been ill in the past, he'd always bounced back, you kind of forget that people can die sometimes.

"I have some amazing memories -most of them couldn't be printed - and absolutely no regrets.

"However Mark is shown in the press, he was so funny and honest, a really bright boy."

In recent months, Mark had suffered from a prolonged spell of ill-health forcing the band to cancel a number of gigs. His death was announced by his girlfriend and The Fall's manager Pam Van Damned on Wednesday.

As a lyricist, he cited dozens of writers and poets as influential, including Thomas Hardy, Philip K Dick, Edgar Allan Poe and HP Lovecraft.

Famously Smith was the only ever-present member of the band he founded, which has seen at rough count about 66 musicians in its 41 years existence.

The Fall would go on to record 32 studio albums.
Dan
Reply

Joined: 03 Mar 2009, 14:11

26 Jan 2018, 12:12 #230

academichamilton wrote:
the real a distant relation wrote:
the very famous sports reporter wrote: https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/mu ... ssion=true

I particularly enjoyed this observation: "Smith wrote like a vorticist Les Dawson, gazing through the hole in the outside lavvy roof at the abyssal horrors beyond, simultaneously funny and terrifying."
Really like this one
Yes, the best I've read I think.
Quality piece.
My brain is the most complex thing in the Universe. Hiccup said so.

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

'false bravado won't hide the cracks'
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

26 Jan 2018, 12:16 #231

New York Times:

Online, but should also be in today's edition, Section B; Column 0; Pg. 14.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/obit ... -dies.html

Dan
Reply

dannyno
Moderator
dannyno
Moderator
Joined: 11 May 2004, 15:28

26 Jan 2018, 12:39 #232

Have flicked through the Independent. Didn't find anything. Anyone know if they had a piece yesterday? All online anyway.

Dan
Reply

Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 18:36

26 Jan 2018, 12:54 #233

For what little it may be worth, I decided to reopen the Hippriestess Tumblr.

For the lack of any other way to deal with this, really.

I'm doing a series called "Fantastic Life" And it starts with..."Fantastic Life".

for whatever it's worth
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."
Reply

Buy Kurious
Member
Joined: 24 Mar 2006, 19:48

26 Jan 2018, 13:29 #234

"We really made a groovy team but now alone I dream dream dream dream dream..."

RIP EC
Reply

misterrogers
Member
Joined: 07 May 2007, 00:35

26 Jan 2018, 13:41 #235

Well now Danny, it looks like the NYPost says they were divorced in 2016.

Odd. Prolly sloppy reporting...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/obit ... -dies.html
Reply

Joined: 11 May 2008, 08:35

26 Jan 2018, 14:11 #236

dannyno wrote: Print edition obituaries in guardian, Times and daily telegraph this morning. Forgot to check independent.

Dan
I don't buy the Torygraph but saw the obit. Annoying at the end re. osteoporosis mention. Guardian looks good tho. Will buy.
Reply

Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 18:36

26 Jan 2018, 14:23 #237

The Fallen Women - Facebook

The Fallen Women have announced a tribute gig - The Lexington, London, February 25th.  All proceeds to Macmillan Cancer and Cancer Research UK.

They've said they have some special guest vocalists lined up already.
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."
Reply

gappy tooth
Member
Joined: 13 Jun 2003, 11:23

26 Jan 2018, 16:17 #238

academichamilton wrote:
the real a distant relation wrote:
the very famous sports reporter wrote: https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/mu ... ssion=true

I particularly enjoyed this observation: "Smith wrote like a vorticist Les Dawson, gazing through the hole in the outside lavvy roof at the abyssal horrors beyond, simultaneously funny and terrifying."
Really like this one
Yes, the best I've read I think.
One of the best summaries of the group I've ever read, that is truly excellent.  I love the word "nanofesto" (which might be common parlance, I'm quite out of touch), and I really feel the writer has distilled a lot of the essence of MES and The Fall most eloquently. 
Good Vi-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-bratio-xx
Reply

GuyBoden
Member
Joined: 26 Jan 2018, 08:42

26 Jan 2018, 16:37 #239

A nice tribute just on BBC Radio 4's Last Word.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09p4fc2

Edit: It's 21:54 into the programme.
Reply

stevoid
Member
Joined: 18 Aug 2003, 20:08

26 Jan 2018, 18:09 #240

Reply

bzfgt
Moderator
bzfgt
Moderator
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 03:12

26 Jan 2018, 18:18 #241

"The Man with Punk's Most Evil Sneer"

Uh...Ok

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... th-w515870 
Reply

Joined: 03 Mar 2009, 14:11

26 Jan 2018, 20:02 #242

GuyBoden wrote: A nice tribute just on BBC Radio 4's Last Word.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09p4fc2

Edit: It's 21:54 into the programme.
That was good. 

Cheetham Hill was a good pick. 
My brain is the most complex thing in the Universe. Hiccup said so.

"for the LOLZ!!!!"

'false bravado won't hide the cracks'
Reply

Grog
Member
Grog
Member
Joined: 17 Mar 2005, 16:25

26 Jan 2018, 20:53 #243

Check out crmk.co.uk between 10 and 12 tonight. Our very own Head Gardener will be playing some stuff in tribute.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Fast and bulbous
Reply

fallchase
Member
Joined: 05 May 2004, 18:25

26 Jan 2018, 21:14 #244

what if something like what he sings about in Garden happens?  
The cure was in no pill.
The Fall
Fallchase MBE
Reply

tempertantrum
Member
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 15:43

26 Jan 2018, 21:28 #245

Pitchfork has a rather nasty obituary. I'd rather not post the link.
We are not adults, we are crusty mystics
Reply

Buy Kurious
Member
Joined: 24 Mar 2006, 19:48

26 Jan 2018, 21:34 #246

I forgot to get a copy of The Guardian earlier, so I just rushed out to find one. None in Tesco, none in any of the garages or sweet shops I tried in, but got the very last copy in the co-op. It's got some nice pictures in it. A list of every Fall member, which is only 55 long, so I assume they missed some. Alexis Petridis chooses the Fall's "best five songs" (Repetition, Totally Wired, Damo Suzuki, Bill is Dead, Bury). A bit from Dave Simpson. Some other bits. It's all online, but it's a nice thing to have. I'm going to keep it with my copy of The Graun with EC's obituary in it.
"We really made a groovy team but now alone I dream dream dream dream dream..."

RIP EC
Reply

HiccupPercy
Member
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 15:19

26 Jan 2018, 22:14 #247

Dan, I've been a git to you on a number of occasions but your work on this thread is much appreciated.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Reply

max
Member
max
Member
Joined: 06 Oct 2005, 09:16

26 Jan 2018, 22:46 #248

Iceland´s national broadcaster, RÚV, has a report here

followed up by an article featuring Einar Örn Benediktsson (Ghostigital, Sugarcubes, Purkurr Pillnikk) about how Mark liked to visit Iceland, and that Mark & Kay put him up when Purkurr Pillnikk toured the UK with The Fall in 1982 - here

both articles in Icelandic, Google Translate will give you a rough idea

thanks to Dan for documenting everything
Last edited by max on 26 Jan 2018, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reply

Grog
Member
Grog
Member
Joined: 17 Mar 2005, 16:25

26 Jan 2018, 22:50 #249

Buy Kurious wrote:I forgot to get a copy of The Guardian earlier, so I just rushed out to find one. None in Tesco, none in any of the garages or sweet shops I tried in, but got the very last copy in the co-op. It's got some nice pictures in it. A list of every Fall member, which is only 55 long, so I assume they missed some. Alexis Petridis chooses the Fall's "best five songs" (Repetition, Totally Wired, Damo Suzuki, Bill is Dead, Bury). A bit from Dave Simpson. Some other bits. It's all online, but it's a nice thing to have. I'm going to keep it with my copy of The Graun with EC's obituary in it.
The Dudes are missing from the list.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Fast and bulbous
Reply

Bert
Member
Bert
Member
Joined: 27 Sep 2003, 08:51

26 Jan 2018, 22:52 #250

Grog wrote:
Buy Kurious wrote:I forgot to get a copy of The Guardian earlier, so I just rushed out to find one. None in Tesco, none in any of the garages or sweet shops I tried in, but got the very last copy in the co-op. It's got some nice pictures in it. A list of every Fall member, which is only 55 long, so I assume they missed some. Alexis Petridis chooses the Fall's "best five songs" (Repetition, Totally Wired, Damo Suzuki, Bill is Dead, Bury). A bit from Dave Simpson. Some other bits. It's all online, but it's a nice thing to have. I'm going to keep it with my copy of The Graun with EC's obituary in it.
The Dudes are missing from the list.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
So is Daren Garratt.
Reply