Least played Fall album

Moderators: dannyno, Conway, delmore, bzfgt, Divvey, Hanley Played a Fender P

Which Fall LP do you listen to the least?

Live at The Witch Trials
7%
Dragnet
2%
Grotesque
No votes
Slates
No votes
Hex Enduction Hour
5%
Room To Live
1%
Perverted By Language
No votes
The Wonderful and Frightening World
2%
This Nations Saving Grace
2%
Bend Sinister
1%
The Frenz Experiment
2%
I am Kurious, Oranj
2%
Seminal Live
5%
Extricate
2%
Shiftwork
2%
Code : Selfish
6%
The Infotainment Scan
1%
Middle Class Revolt
4%
Cerebral Caustic
7%
The Light User Syndrome
4%
Levitate
6%
The Marshall Suite
4%
The Unutterable
2%
Are You Are Missing Winner
7%
Real New Fall LP (Formerly Country On The Click)
2%
Fall Heads Roll
1%
Reformation Post TLC
5%
Imperial Wax Solvent
1%
Your Future, Our Clutter
1%
Ersatz GB
10%
Re-Mit
6%
Sub-Lingual Tablet
1%

Total votes: 101

Least played Fall album

Buy Kurious!

22 Mar 2017, 17:17 #1

Not your least favourite album but your least played; though I realise for many that will be one and the same.
For me, it isn't. I think my least favourite LP is Ersatz GB, but my least played is Live at the Witch Trials.
I know it's a great album but it's not really The Fall, for me, until Dragnet onwards...
"We really made a groovy team but now alone I dream dream dream dream dream..."

RIP EC

Mr. Marshall

22 Mar 2017, 17:18 #2

Hex.
Howdy to you

Got a light?

DeusErac

22 Mar 2017, 17:33 #3

Interesting poll.

I voted "Ersatz" . . . I don't like it, I don't listen to it.

Had multiple choice been available, it would have been closely followed by "L.U.S" and "Dragnet".

Yeah, I know . . . heresy alert on the latter, but I don't like that one either.
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized.

http://jericsmith.com

DeusErac

22 Mar 2017, 17:38 #4

I actually listen to "Witch Trials" pretty regularly . . . I think for me it's analogous to Swans' first full-length album, "Filth:" not quite like what came after it, as BK notes, but very good in its own different way.
All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized.

http://jericsmith.com

WetWetWet

22 Mar 2017, 18:27 #5

LUS, it's not bad, but it just doesn't give me the Fall rush I long for during long days at work :)
Leben und Kunst!

Steve69

22 Mar 2017, 18:37 #6

Toss up between Witch Trials, Room To Live or Dragnet for me.
"A deadening cycle of predatory belligerent facetious posting."

http://www.mixcloud.com/DrBirch https://doctorbirchandhisyoungfriends.bandcamp.com/

rainmaster

22 Mar 2017, 20:36 #7

Everyone should by now know my least favourite, but I've not voted for it as I played it just a fortnight ago and there's others I've played much less.

My vote goes to YFOC. It's not a bad album, but I just don't ever seem to feel the need to play it these days. I doubt I've listened to it in a year, yet I often spin the complimentary Slippy Floor single.

I don't understand the voting for LATWT which is still awesome, and of course is "really The Fall" just a different line up. :unsure:
Grade A triple platinum cunt.

WetWetWet

22 Mar 2017, 21:46 #8

rainmaster @ Mar 23 2017, 08:36 AM wrote: Everyone should by now know my least favourite, but I've not voted for it as I played it just a fortnight ago and there's others I've played much less.

My vote goes to YFOC. It's not a bad album, but I just don't ever seem to feel the need to play it these days. I doubt I've listened to it in a year, yet I often spin the complimentary Slippy Floor single.

I don't understand the voting for LATWT which is still awesome, and of course is "really The Fall" just a different line up.  :unsure:
If it's any help, you should listen to CD2 of the 2007 reissue of SW as it includes the marvellous Dredger EP. It has done a lot for me as I was then ready to take on the main album in a more welcoming way. We should not cultivate our pet hate but strive for reconciliation. :thumbsup: :beer:
Leben und Kunst!

rainmaster

22 Mar 2017, 21:57 #9

WetWetWet @ Mar 22 2017, 09:46 PM wrote:
rainmaster @ Mar 23 2017, 08:36 AM wrote: Everyone should by now know my least favourite, but I've not voted for it as I played it just a fortnight ago and there's others I've played much less.

I don't understand the voting for LATWT which is still awesome, and of course is "really The Fall" just a different line up.  :unsure:
If it's any help, you should listen to CD2 of the 2007 reissue of SW as it includes the marvellous Dredger EP. It has done a lot for me as I was then ready to take on the main album in a more welcoming way. We should not cultivate our pet hate but strive for reconciliation. :thumbsup: :beer:
Thanks for the concern Marti, but I know the Dredger EP well and can't understand how classic tracks like Blood Outta Stone and Zagreb weren't included on the LP. Hell, even White Lightning pisses over most of that album. :D

Snowy

22 Mar 2017, 22:02 #10

Steve69 @ Mar 22 2017, 06:37 PM wrote: Toss up between Witch Trials, Room To Live or Dragnet for me.
You need to revisit Room to Live

It's been my favourite Fall LP for the last 3-4 years

A quick scan of my itunes play count (dating back to Nov 2006), suggests mine is "I am Kurious, Oranj",allowing for the fact that the latest LPs such as Erstaz GB, Remit etc havent been out all that long.

Alright? Yeah....

Next Halt Murren. End Station. Bitte Alle Austeigen

Bone idle c**t

thehippriestess

22 Mar 2017, 22:36 #11

"Levitate", "Ersatz GB" and "Sub-lingual Tablet" are mine.

I've probably played "Levitate" the most out of those three but only because I was making a genuine effort to see what so many others see in it.
Can't dance, can't sing. Cursed forever is...well, me.

thehippriestess

22 Mar 2017, 22:39 #12

rainmaster @ Mar 23 2017, 09:57 AM wrote:
WetWetWet @ Mar 22 2017, 09:46 PM wrote:

Thanks for the concern Marti, but I know the Dredger EP well and can't understand how classic tracks like Blood Outta Stone and Zagreb weren't included on the LP. Hell, even White Lightning pisses over most of that album. :D
I guess it was just recorded at the wrong time, coming soon after "Extricate" but too far before "S-W". I guess this was the start of Fall LPs becoming the next 12 tracks the group recorded rather than there being any kind of process of whittling tracklistings from songs given a live airing before the group hit the studio and the meaningful selection of b-sides from the available pool. Hence, it's also the start of the group's erraticism.

WetWetWet

22 Mar 2017, 22:51 #13

Interesting - do you mean erratic as in planless and casual or irregular and bad. Or rather - what do you mean ??? :D

I take that you mean that in the years that followed there wasn't as much material to release and that they pretty much released whatever they had recorded.
Leben und Kunst!

thehippriestess

22 Mar 2017, 22:57 #14

After the "Extricate" era (ie 1990), there is only occasionally the plethora of single releases and b-sides that we'd got used to. No single from "Shift-Work" but only remixes of "So What About It?" were prepared. "Free Range" was backed by very, very slightly alternate versions of another 3 of the albums tracks. Although "Why Are People Grudgeful?" wasn't on "Infotainment" (or at least, not the vinyl), the b-sides are, as well as "The Re-mixer". Most of the "behind The Counter" EPs ended up on "MCR". All three songs on "15 Ways" were on "MCR" too. No singles from "Cerebral Caustic". Only alternate versions of "The Chislers" on that single.

A point seems to have come where The Fall/MES were happy enough to record a certain number of tracks and make them "the album". To my ears, this coincides with the quality control becoming variable.

Your mileage may vary.

WetWetWet

22 Mar 2017, 23:10 #15

True that, the albums becomes less focused and does not have apparent a- and b-sides or even themes. If you compare the singles Beggars compilations of a-sides/b-sides 458489 with A World Bewitched that cover 1990 - 2000, ten years compared with the five years covered by the tw Beggar comps, you have a very strong point. The albums after Extricate seems less carefully put together, but not to these ears lesser in quality. I love the strange eruptions of say AYATMW and CA, me :D
Leben und Kunst!

In The North

22 Mar 2017, 23:14 #16

I love strange eruptions too
Dan

WetWetWet

22 Mar 2017, 23:16 #17

In The North @ Mar 23 2017, 11:14 AM wrote: I love strange eruptions too
What's the favourite eruption then?
Leben und Kunst!

rainmaster

22 Mar 2017, 23:16 #18

thehippriestess @ Mar 22 2017, 10:57 PM wrote: After the "Extricate" era (ie 1990), there is only occasionally the plethora of single releases and b-sides that we'd got used to. No single from "Shift-Work" but only remixes of "So What About It?" were prepared. "Free Range" was backed by very, very slightly alternate versions of another 3 of the albums tracks. Although "Why Are People Grudgeful?" wasn't on "Infotainment" (or at least, not the vinyl), the b-sides are, as well as "The Re-mixer". Most of the "behind The Counter" EPs ended up on "MCR". All three songs on "15 Ways" were on "MCR" too. No singles from "Cerebral Caustic". Only alternate versions of "The Chislers" on that single.

A point seems to have come where The Fall/MES were happy enough to record a certain number of tracks and make them "the album". To my ears, this coincides with the quality control becoming variable.

Your mileage may vary.
I tend to think of those early to mid 90s singles as lazy, mostly tracks from the albums tweaked a little. It's no surprise that they didn't follow the chart success of say Infotainment Scan as they were all basically the same tracks. Definitely the beginning of a fall. No pun intended.

Drjohnrock

22 Mar 2017, 23:18 #19

Sub-Lingual Tablet, because I've yet to buy it, and don't know that I ever will. I tried listening to it online a couple of times and couldn't make it through the fourth track. I already wasted good money on Ersatz GB and Re-Mit, and what I've heard of Wise Ol' Man was terrible. The only thing I like in the last few releases is The Remainderer. I'm not ready to totally write the band off but that time may come.
What does tapatalk have in common with Donald Trump? They both suck.

WetWetWet

22 Mar 2017, 23:22 #20

Remainderer is a treasure but if you like that you're bound to like Re-Mit if you give the chance. Then the rest will follow (except Ersatz).

Best Regards from Your Ray of Sunshine

:)
Leben und Kunst!

Drjohnrock

23 Mar 2017, 00:14 #21

WetWetWet @ Mar 22 2017, 07:22 PM wrote: Remainderer is a treasure but if you like that you're bound to like Re-Mit if you give the chance. Then the rest will follow (except Ersatz).

Best Regards from Your Ray of Sunshine

:)
Thanks for your response, WWW, but I'm far too comfortable with my Gloomy Cloud Of Darkness :)
What does tapatalk have in common with Donald Trump? They both suck.

Jim Kidder

23 Mar 2017, 00:25 #22

I've played Ersatz GB twice and I doubt I'll ever play it again. I see that I am not alone.
Yee

dannyno

23 Mar 2017, 07:24 #23

Cerebral Caustic is the one I have most trouble with in the entire catalogue. I think that's as much to do with where I was personally as where the group were, but still.

I enjoy recent Fall very much, Ersatz being least played from this era. Dragnet is the one I play least from earlier years.

I've probably played Levitate the most.

Dan

Steve69

23 Mar 2017, 08:08 #24

LastFM tells me that CC is my most played, which surprises me a little!

Mind you, it only registers what I play on spotify, not what I play directly from my hard drive. Levitate, for example, isn't even on spotify.
"A deadening cycle of predatory belligerent facetious posting."

http://www.mixcloud.com/DrBirch https://doctorbirchandhisyoungfriends.bandcamp.com/

stevoid

23 Mar 2017, 09:14 #25

Probably the Unutterable, but rarely play any apart from the Rough Trade totally wired comp and my own mix cd of the last few albums.