Joined: Dec 19 2011, 08:23 AM

Feb 5 2014, 04:50 PM #51

Sorry, no offence, but I am a novice. Happy to have learned two chords. Add another and I am 'playing guitar'.
Hope A, E and D means I can play along to Dylan.

Love my guitar!! :)
Scotch cockney cunt
Quote
Share

marvell78
Member
Joined: Jul 3 2003, 06:24 PM

Feb 5 2014, 04:53 PM #52

think in the sequence a..d..a...d...e...d...a

a few thousand songs there
Quote
Share

Joined: Jun 20 2009, 02:14 AM

Feb 5 2014, 04:54 PM #53

marvell78 @ Feb 5 2014, 08:53 AM wrote: think in the sequence a..d..a...d...e...d...a

a few thousand songs there
God Save The Queen! ^_^
Quote
Share

marvell78
Member
Joined: Jul 3 2003, 06:24 PM

Feb 5 2014, 11:10 PM #54

flickeringlexicon @ Feb 6 2014, 04:54 AM wrote:
marvell78 @ Feb 5 2014, 08:53 AM wrote: think in the sequence a..d..a...d...e...d...a

a few thousand songs there
God Save The Queen! ^_^

i was thinking of some old buddy holly song i had never heard but imagine it would be played using that sequence lol
Quote
Share

Joined: Nov 25 2012, 07:22 PM

Feb 5 2014, 11:24 PM #55

Righteous Fred @ Feb 5 2014, 01:30 PM wrote: I am following the Sniffin' Glue guide: learn 3 chords: A, E and G.

I have mastered A (whenever I pass the guitar I pick it up and strum A a few times). Been doing this for weeks.
Moved onto E now, and will practice moving between the two.

Will only learn G when I can play A and E at will.

Taking my time. I find it very relaxing and pleasureable.
It was actually Sideburns not Sniffin' Glue
Quote
Share

Joined: Jun 20 2009, 02:14 AM

Feb 5 2014, 11:25 PM #56

marvell78 @ Feb 5 2014, 03:10 PM wrote:
flickeringlexicon @ Feb 6 2014, 04:54 AM wrote:
marvell78 @ Feb 5 2014, 08:53 AM wrote: think in the sequence a..d..a...d...e...d...a

a few thousand songs there
God Save The Queen! ^_^
i was thinking of some old buddy holly song i had never heard but imagine it would be played using that sequence lol
Peggy Sue.
Quote
Share

Divvey
Moderator
Divvey
Moderator
Joined: Dec 6 2003, 05:56 AM

Feb 6 2014, 08:01 AM #57

flickeringlexicon @ Feb 6 2014, 09:25 AM wrote:
marvell78 @ Feb 5 2014, 03:10 PM wrote:
flickeringlexicon @ Feb 6 2014, 04:54 AM wrote: God Save The Queen! ^_^
i was thinking of some old buddy holly song i had never heard but imagine it would be played using that sequence lol
Peggy Sue.
words of love,
not so fast for learning
Quote
Share

Joined: May 13 2009, 04:38 PM

Feb 6 2014, 09:21 AM #58

Just play it every day even if you're just plonking away at it for 5 mins. I'm no Hendrix or anything. It should be fun to play the guitar. Play along to your fave music. Once you get the basics of strumming the chords you can add in some jazzy finger picking shit.

Honestly though the more you play the more confident you get. I just taught myself and you never stop learning.. Plus it's good to develop your own style and not try to copy anyone else's.
Quote
Share

Liam
Member
Liam
Member
Joined: Jan 7 2005, 12:10 PM

Feb 6 2014, 09:27 AM #59

Aubrey The Cat @ Feb 5 2014, 01:44 PM wrote:Em's a piece of piss as well, though if you played that you might have to sack yourself for playing jazz chords.
If someone can play E then they can play Em. Am should be easy too.
Quote
Share

Ducky
Member
Joined: Feb 8 2006, 05:37 PM

Feb 6 2014, 09:53 AM #60

Liam @ Feb 6 2014, 09:27 AM wrote:
Aubrey The Cat @ Feb 5 2014, 01:44 PM wrote:Em's a piece of piss as well, though if you played that you might have to sack yourself for playing jazz chords.
If someone can play E then they can play Em. Am should be easy too.
But it's an extra finger in open chords. That's not a euphemism, BTW.
Quote
Share

Joined: Jan 20 2006, 08:39 PM

Feb 6 2014, 10:03 AM #61

Surely the other way about? E is three fingers, and you lift one for Em.

I remember Tony Wilson introducing Patti Smith with chord charts for E and Em behind him, saying that she can play these two chords, and does (in Radio Ethiopia).
"... a shiftless person, roving and magotie-headed, and sometimes little better than crased."
Quote
Share

Ducky
Member
Joined: Feb 8 2006, 05:37 PM

Feb 6 2014, 10:10 AM #62

Aubrey The Cat @ Feb 6 2014, 10:03 AM wrote: Surely the other way about? E is three fingers, and you lift one for Em.

I remember Tony Wilson introducing Patti Smith with chord charts for E and Em behind him, saying that she can play these two chords, and does (in Radio Ethiopia).
Am is the same as the major chord but with the 3rd flattened. So three fingers in open.
Quote
Share

Liam
Member
Liam
Member
Joined: Jan 7 2005, 12:10 PM

Feb 6 2014, 10:15 AM #63

Ducky @ Feb 6 2014, 10:10 AM wrote:
Aubrey The Cat @ Feb 6 2014, 10:03 AM wrote: Surely the other way about? E is three fingers, and you lift one for Em.

I remember Tony Wilson introducing Patti Smith with chord charts for E and Em behind him, saying that she can play these two chords, and does (in Radio Ethiopia).
Am is the same as the major chord but with the 3rd flattened. So three fingers in open.
Eh? A minor is the same shape as E major.
Quote
Share

Ducky
Member
Joined: Feb 8 2006, 05:37 PM

Feb 6 2014, 10:20 AM #64

Liam @ Feb 6 2014, 10:15 AM wrote:
Ducky @ Feb 6 2014, 10:10 AM wrote:
Aubrey The Cat @ Feb 6 2014, 10:03 AM wrote: Surely the other way about? E is three fingers, and you lift one for Em.

I remember Tony Wilson introducing Patti Smith with chord charts for E and Em behind him, saying that she can play these two chords, and does (in Radio Ethiopia).
Am is the same as the major chord but with the 3rd flattened. So three fingers in open.
Eh? A minor is the same shape as E major.
Exactly, but differnt notes obvs. So three fingers.
Quote
Share

Liam
Member
Liam
Member
Joined: Jan 7 2005, 12:10 PM

Feb 6 2014, 10:29 AM #65

Ducky @ Feb 6 2014, 10:20 AM wrote:
Liam @ Feb 6 2014, 10:15 AM wrote:
Ducky @ Feb 6 2014, 10:10 AM wrote: Am is the same as the major chord but with the 3rd flattened. So three fingers in open.
Eh? A minor is the same shape as E major.
Exactly, but differnt notes obvs. So three fingers.
That's what I mean, if you can play E then lift the index finger and you have Em or move the E shape down and there's Am.

First song I could play was John Lennons' "Working Class Hero", Am to G, maybe add a D in if feeling ambitious.
Quote
Share

Joined: Jun 20 2009, 02:14 AM

Feb 6 2014, 04:27 PM #66

Depends on the voicing. Ray Davies plays an open D with only 2 fingers, go figure.
Quote
Share

Ducky
Member
Joined: Feb 8 2006, 05:37 PM

Feb 6 2014, 04:29 PM #67

Right, let's get to the crunch question?!


Open G- three or four fingers?


I'm a four man.
Quote
Share

Joined: Jun 20 2009, 02:14 AM

Feb 6 2014, 04:31 PM #68

Masochist. :D

2, 3, or 4, depending. 3 for a G7, definitely.

Andy Partridge with some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FUKcCP7dA
Quote
Share

Ducky
Member
Joined: Feb 8 2006, 05:37 PM

Feb 6 2014, 04:34 PM #69

flickeringlexicon @ Feb 6 2014, 04:31 PM wrote: Masochist. :D

2, 3, or 4, depending. 3 for a G7, definitely.

Andy Partridge with some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FUKcCP7dA
If it's G major, I always go with four. I like the fullness.

But, you're right, depends on voicing.
Quote
Share

Joined: Jun 20 2009, 02:14 AM

Feb 6 2014, 04:38 PM #70

Ducky @ Feb 6 2014, 08:34 AM wrote:
flickeringlexicon @ Feb 6 2014, 04:31 PM wrote: Masochist. :D

2, 3, or 4, depending. 3 for a G7, definitely.

Andy Partridge with some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FUKcCP7dA
If it's G major, I always go with four. I like the fullness.

But, you're right, depends on voicing.
Well, with 4 fingers, you can strum away righteously, hitting all the strings, and they'll all be ringing and consonant... :)
Quote
Share

Joined: May 13 2009, 04:38 PM

Feb 6 2014, 07:34 PM #71

Ducky @ Feb 7 2014, 04:29 AM wrote: Right, let's get to the crunch question?!


Open G- three or four fingers?


I'm a four man.
Same here. Used to play 3 but play 4 now. Just sounds better
Quote
Share

Ducky
Member
Joined: Feb 8 2006, 05:37 PM

Feb 6 2014, 07:37 PM #72

The Abdominizer @ Feb 6 2014, 07:34 PM wrote:
Ducky @ Feb 7 2014, 04:29 AM wrote: Right, let's get to the crunch question?!


Open G- three or four fingers?


I'm a four man.
Same here. Used to play 3 but play 4 now. Just sounds better
Warmer.
Quote
Share

Joined: May 13 2009, 04:38 PM

Feb 6 2014, 07:46 PM #73

Ducky @ Feb 7 2014, 07:37 AM wrote:
The Abdominizer @ Feb 6 2014, 07:34 PM wrote:
Ducky @ Feb 7 2014, 04:29 AM wrote: Right, let's get to the crunch question?!


Open G- three or four fingers?


I'm a four man.
Same here. Used to play 3 but play 4 now. Just sounds better
Warmer.
Rich and smooth like Christopher Lee's voice.
Quote
Share

Ducky
Member
Joined: Feb 8 2006, 05:37 PM

Feb 6 2014, 07:47 PM #74

The Abdominizer @ Feb 6 2014, 07:46 PM wrote:
Ducky @ Feb 7 2014, 07:37 AM wrote:
The Abdominizer @ Feb 6 2014, 07:34 PM wrote: Same here. Used to play 3 but play 4 now. Just sounds better
Warmer.
Rich and smooth like Christopher Lee's voice.
Bloody hippies! :devil2:
Quote
Share

Joined: Nov 25 2012, 07:22 PM

Feb 6 2014, 08:17 PM #75

flickeringlexicon @ Feb 6 2014, 05:31 PM wrote: Masochist. :D

2, 3, or 4, depending. 3 for a G7, definitely.

Andy Partridge with some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FUKcCP7dA
Yeah well, he doesn't know his chord spelling - there's no Gb in D major.
Quote
Share