getting paid for your music

Sidney

May 10 2014, 05:44 PM #1

so ive been looking at a site that i really like which is i suppose about "emotional coping skills".

how does that relate to my music ? you might be thinking.

well, this site is so brilliantly written and so helpful to my life, that when i came across an opportunity to pay for this service, in the sense to support the writer for her work and as a way to say thankyou, i was happy to oblige.

so im wondering, how many of you happily give your music away for free, but also when it comes to the people who listen, maybe they would like some way that they can reimburse you for the music if they like it, and also support your work.

so- this is where paypal comes in. you can learn about how to set it up here:

accept payments online

also, how many of you really hate twitter and never use it ? did you know that theres a way to only use it a little bit, and it can help you get the word out about your music. learn about why twitter doesnt completely suck here:

twitter doesnt completely suck

so yeh just a few little things that i thought of.

incidentally ive always liked cleanville's music, and ive downloaded some new stuff of his today to listen to later.

once ive done that i will be looking for other stuff to listen to. i already use spotify, but it would be great to listen to some more independant stuff. so, feel free to pop a link or two on this thread for me and others to check your stuff out. ive been searching through the "music made by forum members" which is a good resource, but im finding some of the links out of date, and all of it is a bit sort of unfamiliar to me really. what i want is something i can sort of relate to in the sense of "hello heidi, here is some of my music" kind of thing.

so yeh, lets see how we go with that :) if i like your music i am quite happy to pay something for it, although initially i would prefer to check it out for free to see if i like it, say with a download or something like that.

cheers :) :rollover:
rampaging insanity. just what i always wanted.

Sidney

May 10 2014, 06:07 PM #2

mm, ok im deleting this bit.

heres a picture of an owl:

May 10 2014, 08:12 PM #3

I like the bandcamp thing (is that is what its called) where I can pay for people's records. I think that the small investment of money causes me to try to like the record I bought, which is healthy because it is more and more difficult to enjoy new types of music as you get older.

That said, I don't really plan to start charging. Even tho I support that.

One FoF'er record that I have been wanting to give some props to this week is:

I downloaded this record with some trepidation because Christophe's songs tend to sound similar to each other -- it is a nice sound, but I already had several records, so not sure I wanted more. However, Monkey See Monkey Do shows musical and lyrical growth. More nuance, better playing, better singing. I won't go as far as to say that I love this record, but I do like it quite a bit and was glad I d/l'd it. It has been in heavy rotation with The Vaselines and Led Zep -- it nicely offsets the annoyingness those bands engender.

Sidney

May 10 2014, 08:21 PM #4

cool :)

i noticed the bandcamp thing also. i noticed that a few people's sites for their music had the same sort of look to them and there appeared to be a place where you could listen or download and sometimes even pay for something.

so i was wondering what site this was until i noticed the tiny "bandcamp" sign at the bottom.

seems like a really good service. id never seen it before today.

ah right so just looking at their site. looks really good and it seems like a good way to find new music as well.

bandcamp

have you got a link to the "monkey see monkey do" record cleanville ?

Sidney

May 11 2014, 04:23 PM #5

hmm, yeh, so no-one was interested in this either.

o well.

May 11 2014, 04:24 PM #6

Heidi @ May 10 2014, 01:21 PM wrote: have you got a link to the "monkey see monkey do"
There's a link in this thread. I checked it, and it still works, too. :) It is a great album...

http://z1.invisionfree.com/thefall/inde ... opic=34871

Sidney

May 11 2014, 04:26 PM #7

Saveloy

May 12 2014, 10:08 AM #8

Hey Heidi, my band is Les Waters, and here's a vid for one of our tunes:

Boiled Eggs and Nuts

We've got a Bandcamp page as well. The (very small) selection of tracks on there can be downloaded for free:

Les Waters

I can't imagine anyone actually paying money for Les, it just.. wouldn't happen. Or if it did, it would be such tiny amounts as to be more hassle to deal with than not.

Heidi (and anyone, in fact): when somebody is trying to plug their music, do you find you're more likely to click on a link to a Youtube vid than a Bandcamp page or download site?

I am, and I suspect it's true of most people. Is it just because it's one click rather than two, or is it the added bonus of an image to gawp at? Or just the familiarity of Youtube?